Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Scoreless soccer for U12

Scoreless soccer for U12

Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scoreless soccer for U12

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Instead it's better to humiliate them by convincing them that they can't count?

My eldest kid started playing basketball in Germany when he was about 10. In the first competitive game he played in the score was 99-2 for the other team.

He went on to become a pretty good player.
My grandfather smoked 20 ciggies a day from when he was teenager to when he died from old age at the age of 90 something. Is this proof that ciggies are not harmful to one's health?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i coached from u7s through to u13s when i left.

Now up to u10s teams played in a friendly league where there were no standings but just results and yes they wanted to win every game..at u11 the teams would then enter the competitive league and you suddenly saw a different nature emerge where the boys could see the whole picture of who exactly the best teams were and where their local rivals stood..and it definelty created a more competitive edge to the games that did not existed before and it was something they really enjoyed and got them talking and thinking about the up and coming games.

As for fathers i never had any issues in the UK as most had grown up playing football and were more laid back about the whole thing.
I agree. If the priorities are right, there's no harm with posting scores/standings at all and it does add a competitive edge.

I currently coach U14s in a very competitive league in the US (many professional players including US National team players played in this league). We have scores/standings and promotion/relegation in 6 divisions in the U14 age group. However the coaches know what the correct priorities are, they are educated and licensed (many are very highly licensed) and most are paid. The kids already have a reasonable degree of skill and the soccer is of a relatively high standard. Posting scores/standings works in this league (although they don't do it U9-U11).

In other leagues where the standard of coaching is much lower and the priorities are all wrong, posting scores/standings can cause problems.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My grandfather smoked 20 ciggies a day from when he was teenager to when he died from old age at the age of 90 something. Is this proof that ciggies are not harmful to one's health?
I accept that my comment was anecdotal. I assume you have solid research for the opposite position?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I accept that my comment was anecdotal. I assume you have solid research for the opposite position?
Chelsea and Fulham have taken the hint tonight....everyone's a winner.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:03 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If my kids' team was getting humped so much every week that the coaches were hiding the scores, I'd be sacking the coaches.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I agree. If the priorities are right, there's no harm with posting scores/standings at all and it does add a competitive edge.

I currently coach U14s in a very competitive league in the US (many professional players including US National team players played in this league). We have scores/standings and promotion/relegation in 6 divisions in the U14 age group. However the coaches know what the correct priorities are, they are educated and licensed (many are very highly licensed) and most are paid. The kids already have a reasonable degree of skill and the soccer is of a relatively high standard. Posting scores/standings works in this league (although they don't do it U9-U11).

In other leagues where the standard of coaching is much lower and the priorities are all wrong, posting scores/standings can cause problems.
We're with you on all of your posts. Brazil doesn't have competitive matches till U14 - they just concentrate on skills. Yes, they do play mini matches for those people going to post ridiculous replies . Brazil aint too bad in the world.
My husband coaches and I am a ex UK season-ticket holder (yes, I do know the offside rule, and yes, that comment was funny - people have lost their sense of humour). Some mothers need shooting. We had a right nut case one year - paid her kid $5 for every goal FFS. He never passed - can't think why.
OH just goes about coaching the right way, concentrates on skills and hopes it comes together.
At the end of the day, our kid will play a good game of football and we hope his teammates will, wherever that may be. The only thing we miss from the UK is a kickabout in the park with whoever's there.

MarylandNed - agree with all your posts
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I was asking a question. I take it your answer is "No"
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

flyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond repute

if you're looking for research-based arguments, this link might be of interest.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flyboy74
if you're looking for research-based arguments, this link might be of interest.
Ah, the venerable sages of the Canadian Soccer Association. Whose national women's squad are threatening to refuse to play because of incompetent administration.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

flyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the venerable sages of the Canadian Soccer Association. Whose national women's squad are threatening to refuse to play because of incompetent administration.
ug. don't get me started about incompetent sports administration in canada... the canadian soccer association, however, actually had no input on the science that supports this document - that was done by a group of scientists, and this document is just one of a series that's been produced for all of the olympic sports, all based on the same concepts.

it's part of a big realignment of the canadian sport system (www.ltad.ca) and increasingly, all sport funding in canada at the federal and provincial levels is being linked to this model for sport development. which is not to say it's without its faults...
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of how you feel about the CSA, the document actually makes a lot of sense and mirrors what is being said in other countries. If you read the snippet below, it echos much of what I was saying in my earlier posts regarding (a) the dangers of emphasizing winning instead of player and skills development and (b) coaching kids like they are adults. That's no accident. Similar discussions are underway in the US and in other countries (e.g. the UK). This snippet could apply equally to the state of US youth soccer in particular. The single biggest issue that needs to be addressed is coach and parent education. If coaches and parents continue to believe that the score is the most important thing in youth soccer then we're handicapping our ability to produce skillful and intelligent players.

Development of the Game
Currently, Canada does not have a cohesive, coherent
model for promoting lifelong wellness
and elite achievement through soccer. In this regard,
there are several issues of concern that
soccer shares with other sports in Canada:
• Young players over-compete and undertrain.
• Young players often follow adult training and
competition schedules.
• Young female players often follow programs
designed for males.
• Training/practice in the developmental years
often focuses on winning and not on development
(short-term result versus long-term
process).
• Chronological age influences coaching and
selection rather than biological age (physical
maturation).
• The so-called critical periods of accelerated
adaptation are under-utilized.
• Poor programs between the ages of 6-16 result
in athletes never reaching their genetic
potential.
• The “best” coaches are encouraged to work
at elite levels – they are not recognized as
essential to the success of developmental
programs in novice groups.
• Coach education tends to provide only a superficial
understanding of the growth, maturation,
and development stages of young
players.
• There is no integration between physical education
programs in the school system, community
recreational programs, and elite
competitive programs.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:54 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

1st thing that came to my mind was, the coaches who run up the score will still run up the score.

Last year at u11 2 parents complained to the head coach, we have 3 teams of 14 each season we divided the players equally amongst the coaches.
The complaint - I spend to much time developing than winning. Head coach phoned me up and said thank you, refused to transfer the players 1 quit for the season the other played for me. After the city final he came over and said thank you and he was sorry for the problem at the begining of the season.

The problem I see in manitoba is not enough tiering. good players don't have enough competition, so playing with out scores will dilute the programs more and more.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

canadablade is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If my kids' team was getting humped so much every week that the coaches were hiding the scores, I'd be sacking the coaches.
Agree with maryland on everything he said too.

England academy and school of excellence teams don't keep track of scores. France the players don't

This is the french philosophy

No matches, games for 1.5 years until technique is perfected
No emphasis on results - each match is a training session
High value on learning and making mistakes and being a perfectionist

Some people need to realize before they form an opinion, it should be a valid one.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Scoreless soccer for U12
Yesterday's U21 was scoreless
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:21 am
Just Joined

maximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant future

Its football not soccer - this is the Brit expat forum grrrrr

And 12 year old kids should not be kicking a size 5 ball as it was proven beyond all doubt by the FA that it causes joint damage. (This is what ball sizes are for)

Scoreless football - what a politically correct crock of ////. Its in a kids nature to compete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.