Schools - switching from UK year groups to CA grades

Schools - switching from UK year groups to CA grades

Old Aug 1st 2020, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

scscremin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools - switching from UK year groups to CA grades

HI there,

Plenty of questions below - any guidance would be appreciated. TIA

My sons are both October birthdays, making them some of the 'older' kids in their current year groups. In the UK, they would be due to go back to Yr 8 & yr 10 in Sept 2020.
As Canadian grades are done by birth year, they will become some of the 'youngest' in their grade. They are due to start grade 8 & grade 10 in BC in September. Does this effectively mean that they will be skipping a year with the move from UK to BC? (ie - if they were born 3 months later in Jan, they would be automatically in grades 7 & 9.)

Is the BC curriculum general ahead/ similar/behind the UK?

What grade in BC would be equivalent to Yr 11 (sitting GCSE's) in UK?

We have been offered the opportunity to hold the boys back a grade, for them to join Grades 7 & 9 instead. Is this something pretty standard with moving from UK? Are there like to be plenty of kids that are in the 'wrong year'?

If you have firsthand experience of moving with this age groups of kids, I'd really appreciate your feedback -its become quite a big decision.

Thans for reading. Susan
Old Aug 1st 2020, 8:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools - switching from UK year groups to CA grades

Susan

I have asked that your post be transferred to the correct forum (Canada) from the Welcome Inn.

Rete
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 12:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

We have a great wiki section on schooling/education in Canada - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...ucation-Canada .....
including a section specifically about age. - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Schoo...egories-Canada
and about GCSE's https://britishexpats.com/wiki/GCSE_...tudents-Canada
... the differences between UK and Canada schooling - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canad...ool_Comparison

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 2nd 2020 at 1:01 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much. This is really helpful. šŸ‘
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Tabindi is an unknown quantity at this point

My son was in U.K year 8 when we moved. Heā€™s a Jan baby so became one of the oldest in the year. He found Grade 8 in Ontario to be much easier that the U.K equivalent grade.
My daughter is a late December baby and became the very youngest in her grade when we moved here. She skipped a grade due to the difference in September and January intake that they have here. I was worried at first but it worked well for her and she adjusted really well. I wouldnā€™t have wanted to hold her back a year- she would have found the grade below too easy.
Hope that helps some. I find the schooling here to be a real positive. I much prefer the continuous testing rather than the high pressured GCSEā€™s and Aā€™Levels and both have been able to study much more interesting subjects that those offered in the U.K.
Good luck!
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for this - its really helpful.
How long ago did you move? Have they reached grade 10 yet? If so, have you any ides from friends in the UK how grade 10/11 in Canada compares to GCSE content/expectations?
Thank you. Susan
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Tabindi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scscremin
Thank you so much for this - its really helpful.
How long ago did you move? Have they reached grade 10 yet? If so, have you any ides from friends in the UK how grade 10/11 in Canada compares to GCSE content/expectations?
Thank you. Susan
We have been here 4.5 years. My daughter has just finished grade 10. Itā€™s probably comparable with the U.K, possibly on the easy side and without the stacks of homework her U.K. friends seem to have. My son graduated high school this year and would tell you that Canadian grade 11/12 suited him so much better. His U.K. friends were all stressed about their exams whereas for him the year was much the same as any other. I would say he found Canadian high schooling easier and more catered towards his interests. There is also an emphasis on giving them lots of options for success if needed - you can switch classes, take summer school, stay on to be a ā€˜super seniorā€™ (take an extra year of high school), all options not readily available in the U.K. We are in Ontario but I assume these things are available Canada wide.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you I have dm you x