Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Schools in Edmonton?

Schools in Edmonton?

Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Re: Schools in Edmonton?

Originally Posted by KANIYANG
I wouldn't know about fotie cos I have 2 daughters. Anyway summer is by the corner once you are in Canada I guess info will be easily assessable
Hi there, where would you like to be heading? I see that you're talking about Alberta, but is it Calgary that you're thinking of more than anywhere? Do you have work? How old are the kids? I'm nosey!! Sorry!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Elli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lloydies
Elli and Paul

Thanks. I'll start researching that area. We're definitely concerned about the kids settling, so I'm open to suggestions! I'll google it today. We'll be arriving in the summer, so we'll have time to check stuff out before the winter sets in! I think you replied to someone elses (kaniyang) reply! Are there plenty of things to do for the kids too - out of school? My son enjoys footie, so he'd probably want to join a 'soccer team'.
We have found lots for the children, our daughter is 7 and son 5 both swim once a week. My son does footie (soccer) twice a week and beavers once a week, my daughter is in brownies both have learnt to skate and ski so yes we have found lots to do.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Hi we have just moved to Edmonton and used this http://www.fraserinstitute.org/ to help us decide before we left the UK. its an excellent resource for grading the schools on subjects etc, in fact i was hoping the admin staff would mind adding it to the wiki in a more prominent position?
good luck
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Thanks everyone - keep the info coming though!! We need as much as possible. I've had a quick look at where St.Albert is, and that looks great, but a bit further north than we would like really. I'd like to be somewhere between 170 St and Ellerslie! Good school and neighbour being the major focus. I've had a look at the fraserinstitute, but didn't recognise the schools, so I'll have to research school names from areas we like first and look for those specifically!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elli and Paul
We have found lots for the children, our daughter is 7 and son 5 both swim once a week. My son does footie (soccer) twice a week and beavers once a week, my daughter is in brownies both have learnt to skate and ski so yes we have found lots to do.
The kids can't wait to go ice skating and real snow skiing. We've been to a couple lessons on dry slopes to give them confidence, but it's not the same. My kids enjoy swimming, both a good swimmers and don't need lessons anymore, but love the water, so no doubt we'll be visiting a swimming pool on a weekly basis. My daughter loves the look of the water park in the mall! She's told my husband that he's not allowed to go there until she arrives! It's great hearing from everyone and getting insider info!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

KANIYANG is an unknown quantity at this point

Alberta cos OH is in the oil and gas and we have 2 daughters 5 & 2 yrs old.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Riverbend is a nice neighbourhood within an easy drive of 170 st and I have a friend who lives down there and she always seems to have stuff to do with her kids. http://www.riverbendonline.ca/index.php

I live further to the west, Patricia Heights, we are just one exit on the whitemud away from 170 st and the Elementary school here is great.

This whole little area, Patricia Heights, Rio Terrace, Quesnell heights is very nice, but it's an older area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrici...rrace_Quesnell

If you want newer housing Terwillegar, or somewhere like the Lewis Estates - very close to 170 and nice little area. http://www.melcor.ca/community/edmonton/lewis_estates/

Laurier Heights is gorgeous, but very pricey, only two exits from 170 st. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurier_Heights

There are quite a few new developments to the south west that will be a really easy drive from 170st, but I don't know which schools they will be zoned for, are you coming over for a recce trip?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

KANIYANG is an unknown quantity at this point

we are coming over for good. we landed in Dec 2005 and left after picking our PR cards cos OH has a good job in the oil and gas industry but we are hoping he will get something in Alberta soon.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Riverbend is a nice neighbourhood within an easy drive of 170 st and I have a friend who lives down there and she always seems to have stuff to do with her kids. http://www.riverbendonline.ca/index.php

I live further to the west, Patricia Heights, we are just one exit on the whitemud away from 170 st and the Elementary school here is great.

This whole little area, Patricia Heights, Rio Terrace, Quesnell heights is very nice, but it's an older area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrici...rrace_Quesnell

If you want newer housing Terwillegar, or somewhere like the Lewis Estates - very close to 170 and nice little area. http://www.melcor.ca/community/edmonton/lewis_estates/

Laurier Heights is gorgeous, but very pricey, only two exits from 170 st. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurier_Heights

There are quite a few new developments to the south west that will be a really easy drive from 170st, but I don't know which schools they will be zoned for, are you coming over for a recce trip?
Great info - cheers. I'll have a look at those now. We came over last Feb but we didn't have much time to check stuff out, so we decided to just sort it all out when we get there in the summer. Hopefully, giving us time to check out the areas that we like from the web and get the kids in school. I've been asking my brother to check some places out too. He's got a mate who lives in the Riverbend area and says it nice there too. We need 4 bedrooms and a double garage with plenty of living space as my mum will be coming over to stay for periods of time. I quite like the newer houses. We checked out some show homes last year - how lovely! I could've moved straight in!