Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Schooling in Canada whilst waiting for spousal PR approval - any advice ?

Wikiposts

Schooling in Canada whilst waiting for spousal PR approval - any advice ?

Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in Canada whilst waiting for spousal PR approval - any advice ?

Originally Posted by Ralphstars
Yes he has been back home working in Alberta for almost a year now so we would be crossing the border without him
When you say "not a criminal " - I would need a copy of the police report I submitted with my PR app ? - " in good health " - my medical report/ exam results went electronically to London so I dont have them -
" not destitute " - I could show bank statements for me and my husband as proof ?

Nicky
Those documents aren't required per se but if asked about criminal offences you would verbally disclose any. As for health not required unless you looked like death warmed and and were coughing up blood when being interviewed.
In your case as you are going through the PR process the documents are not required at the POE. I wouldn't fret or worry.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ralphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really nice
Default Re: Schooling in Canada whilst waiting for spousal PR approval - any advice ?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Those documents aren't required per se but if asked about criminal offences you would verbally disclose any. As for health not required unless you looked like death warmed and and were coughing up blood when being interviewed.
In your case as you are going through the PR process the documents are not required at the POE. I wouldn't fret or worry.
Ha ha ! I shall make a note to self " spit any blood discretely into a tissue during interview !"
Thanks for the reassurances Former Lancastrian - I shall speak again with the school board and see if I can get them to double check the ruling for needing a Student Permit based on my son being part of a family class PR being sponsored by a Canadian step father and cross check with the immigration ruling.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:59 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ! I shall make a note to self " spit any blood discretely into a tissue during interview !"
Thanks for the reassurances Former Lancastrian - I shall speak again with the school board and see if I can get them to double check the ruling for needing a Student Permit based on my son being part of a family class PR being sponsored by a Canadian step father and cross check with the immigration ruling.
I'd also say that it's not unusual for one authority (ie a school board) to be unaware of technicalities / more complex situations so I don't think they gave out incorrect information as such. Moreso if you explain to them the adice you have been given here - they may or may not go with it!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 4:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Get your husband to take your child for registration, he is a Citizen.

Simples.

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ralphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really nice

The School Board are checking the information about needing a Study Permit or not again for me - I explained that as my son and I are waiting for PR as members of a Family Class application and that my husband is a Canadian Citizen already living and working in Lethbridge my interpretation of the ruling was that my son did not need a study permit whilst the PR was in process and please could they clarify.
I am waiting for their response and shall update the thread when I know more.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Schooling in Canada whilst waiting for spousal PR approval - any advice ?

The School Board are checking the information about needing a Study Permit or not again for me - I explained that as my son and I are waiting for PR as members of a Family Class application and that my husband is a Canadian Citizen already living and working in Lethbridge my interpretation of the ruling was that my son did not need a study permit whilst the PR was in process and please could they clarify.
I am waiting for their response and shall update the thread when I know more.
Amazing news just in ! The education board in Lethbridge has confirmed that "there are some instances when a study permit is not required and this is one if them " and my son " is eligible for funding" - I must provide proof of our PR application and proof of payment to CIC and also copies of my husband's Canadian Citizen documentation and my son's passport and birth certificate along with our Visitor Permit which we must show to the School at the time of registration.
So having spent all this time in the UK believing that I had no option because of the schooling issue we can actually make the move and begin our lives in Canada waiting out our PR there after all ! (Pending additional consent from my ex of course ) What a relief after almost 12 months apart
I am so glad I asked the question and really grateful to all the opinions expressed about the possibilities and potential differences in each province ! ) I hope anyone else in similar circumstances can find this thread and get good guidance from it !

Nicky
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing news just in ! The education board in Lethbridge has confirmed that "there are some instances when a study permit is not required and this is one if them " and my son " is eligible for funding" - I must provide proof of our PR application and proof of payment to CIC and also copies of my husband's Canadian Citizen documentation and my son's passport and birth certificate along with our Visitor Permit which we must show to the School at the time of registration.
So having spent all this time in the UK believing that I had no option because of the schooling issue we can actually make the move and begin our lives in Canada waiting out our PR there after all ! (Pending additional consent from my ex of course ) What a relief after almost 12 months apart
I am so glad I asked the question and really grateful to all the opinions expressed about the possibilities and potential differences in each province ! ) I hope anyone else in similar circumstances can find this thread and get good guidance from it !

Nicky
That is wonderful news! Well done for pursuing it and not giving up!

Hope that the ex will sign the consent forms so you can head over soon.

Best of luck.

Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That is wonderful news! Well done for pursuing it and not giving up!

Hope that the ex will sign the consent forms so you can head over soon.

Best of luck.

Thank you - I am feeling a little dumbstruck by the news

Nicky