School Ratings

Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Big GG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School Ratings

Good luck all with the school search.

Study by the Toronto School Board in 2009

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/wwwdocuments/a...edFindings.pdf

EQAO Grade 3 Mathematics results by family income (Grade 6 is similar) Percentages are those who meet provincial standart.

+100 K CAD %86
+75-99 K CAD %80
+50-75 K CAD %75
+30-50 K CAD %70
less than 30 %62

Last edited by Big GG; Apr 25th 2011 at 6:19 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Imborednow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Laura_Wilson
Is there a school rating system that applies to regular schools rather than the privately funded schools that is similar to our Ofsted system?
Check the following as Bill Ford was really helpful to us - we had an arrangement as part of a relocation package:-

http://www.schoolsearch.ca/ even if you are not in Ontario he may be able to advise!

If your children are young - under 10, they should adapt reasonably easily - the schools really are dictated by the residential area they are in and the best are naturally in the big buck areas. This does not always mean they will suit you - we have come up against a lot of inverted snobbery and bullying with our teenager and the 'good' school in a great area, whilst the younger two are in a culturally diverse school similar to their one in the UK and are thriving. As with all parenting - talk to the school you choose and if they are any good the new teachers will be happy to discuss all of your concerns and give you a regular progress update - we did this and have kept on doing this to ensure that the school is aware we are doing everything we can to work with our children and the school to help everything work. One issue we had which was dealt with very sympathetically, was helping the child/ren realise that it is ok to make new friends and that it is not disloyal to their best friends at 'home'. My daughter now has a best friend in London and a best friend in Toronto. Good luck!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imborednow
. As with all parenting - talk to the school you choose and if they are any good the new teachers will be happy to discuss all of your concerns and give you a regular progress update - we did this and have kept on doing this to ensure that the school is aware we are doing everything we can to work with our children and the school to help everything work. One issue we had which was dealt with very sympathetically, was helping the child/ren realise that it is ok to make new friends and that it is not disloyal to their best friends at 'home'. My daughter now has a best friend in London and a best friend in Toronto. Good luck!
That's a great point, and thank you so much for the web link, which I shall try. You can't but help worry. Our son is a native English speaker, but was born in France and has only ever attended school in French. I am hoping that this will not be a problem in New Brunswick. I don't really envisage too many problems on that score, as we are working with him at home to head off any potential difficulties. I am really looking forward to having a good luck at the school this autumn when we visit.