Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SCHOOL QUESTION

SCHOOL QUESTION

Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

eager_2_change_our_life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SCHOOL QUESTION

Just to say in the begining I have already taken a look at what it says on Wiki and got a bit of info there but would like feedback from other members if possible. Am reposting this in the main forum under advise from members Eamonn and Janet

Hi
Not sure if this is the right place to put this question but here goes.
I am looking to move to Canada in the next four years.
My son is currently 6 yrs old and starting Yr 2 in Sept.
I worry that when we do move to Canada that the school system will automatically make him go into the grade according to age.

I moved to the US when I was 7 with my family and was put in the first grade and then held back the following year because I didn't use the same terminology as them as in my handwriting was different. My handwriting was not wrong or bad just different from theirs. In everything else I was way ahead of the rest of them and should not have had that happen to me.

I want to know if I face this in Canada with my son or it will be based on where he is at academically not age wise? Also my son has ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) also known as Aspergers.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SCHOOL QUESTION

Originally Posted by eager_2_change_our_life
Just to say in the begining I have already taken a look at what it says on Wiki and got a bit of info there but would like feedback from other members if possible. Am reposting this in the main forum under advise from members Eamonn and Janet

Hi
Not sure if this is the right place to put this question but here goes.
I am looking to move to Canada in the next four years.
My son is currently 6 yrs old and starting Yr 2 in Sept.
I worry that when we do move to Canada that the school system will automatically make him go into the grade according to age.

I moved to the US when I was 7 with my family and was put in the first grade and then held back the following year because I didn't use the same terminology as them as in my handwriting was different. My handwriting was not wrong or bad just different from theirs. In everything else I was way ahead of the rest of them and should not have had that happen to me.

I want to know if I face this in Canada with my son or it will be based on where he is at academically not age wise? Also my son has ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) also known as Aspergers.

Thanks
If you come to Calgary your child will be assessed and placed in the appropriate grade.

This is sometimes not the best solution and the child can be moved to a more age appropriate grade if there are problems.

This happened to myself many, many years ago, over 50 now to be exact.

We came to Edmonton in 1956 when I was 9 and I was assessed and place in grade 6 which is two years over the appropriate grade for a 9 year old. The older children picked on me not only because I was younger but I was also a small child for my age and this made matters worse. Life was miserable and by Christmas I was placed with my own age group and did much better.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eager_2_change_our_life
[B]Also my son has ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) also known as Aspergers.

Thanks
Hi again! Got the search function to respond...the word Aspergers should be highlighted in red in each of the following threads for ease of reference...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=Aspergers

There are more but that should get you underway. Whatever the problem, someone on here has probably faced it already.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

I get the impression that it's rather down to the individual school in consultation with the parent. My Neice was originally recommended for the year above her age. However after discussion it was decided to place her within her own age group. She had additional help from the school to make sure she was progressing at a slightly more advanced level. After only a couple of years she was in a normal routine with her own age and is now studying Pre-Med at UBC. The same applied to my nephew, and he goes to University next year. They were 7 and 9 when they landed

Smaller community schools I am told tend to be able to adapt better than the larger schools.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:50 am
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

My daughter (11yrs) went in to grade 6, going into gr 7 in Sept which is similiar to where she would of been in the UK , she is amongst everyone her own age.

My son (aged 5, nr 6) was put into kindergarten (although in the UK he was in full-time), we thought it better that he was put into a class with kids his own age then go into grade one with older kids.

He will start Gr1 in Sept, being full-time again will be good as well
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone confirm what would be the 'normal grade' for boys turning 15 and 12 in december 2008, so they are 14 and 11 at the moment.

eg what grades would they be starting ?? in September 2008

Thanks.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

We asked a school which is on our list for our two how they would be graded.

It was by age. They will need to re-do the year they have just done. (Year 3 and 5).

I looked at this as a positive though - at the end of the day they are moving country - have alot to deal with, get used to, miss and learn and then theres school too.

I would rather them redo the year they have just done, so they can enter school relaxed whilst they settle in and go with the flow....also they will be with kids their own age and therefore able to make friends.....if they were with the older children they may be more inclined to want to do older kids things before their time.

If they are academically head and shoulders above the rest - it is the teachers job to highlight this and either challenge them more or advise you to move them up or out to a gifted school.

Just my opinion on it - everyone is different - its probably heightened for you because you had a bad experience when you were young - things have probably moved on quite a bit - I know my kids schooling is completely different to mine.

N
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:19 am
Just Joined

eager_2_change_our_life is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the replies. I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back on to say so.

I have read your replies as well as the links that "Getting There" posted for me. I have to say I am now a bit worried as well as hopeful knowing full well that doesn't make sense .

My son was diagnosed in March with High Functioning ASD (Aspergers) however he is receiving assistance in his mainstream school and I don't see this ending anytime soon. Part of this I feel is that it took so long for me to be able to get the school to help him.

As it will be four years before we will be moving to Canada I am optimistic there will be postive changes in that time with my son.

If anyone else has any advice they want to give then that would be great.

TY
Leigh