school query

Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school query

Originally Posted by docrcc
[QUOTE=Shard;10891400]Do you have any qualms about moving him from a highly competitive grammar school to the relatively relaxed Alberta school system? It is a very different ethos, not better or worse, and it will probably be quite different from results-driven selective British schooling.

to be honest I am a little apprehensive but there is a lot of time. There seems to be more emphasis on having well rounded students in Canada rather than exam results, but the nation is doing well so they must be on to something!
Yes that is right. As Ann said it's often the parents where the adjustment is most required, the kids get on with it and will thrive if they desire to.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

His birthday is March 29th. I think Alberta runs by the calendar year as well, not the school year.
No it doesn't.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Not sure what part of Alberta you're headed but where I am in Alberta Grade 6 is Middle School, not Elementary. High School here commences at Grade 9.
I suspect that that is specific to Cochrane.

When we were in Calgary, grade 10 was the first year of high school. Now our kids are schooled in Blackie/High River, high school commences at grade 9.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:26 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Some high schools in Red Deer start grade 9, some grade 10.

We went for option 1, she's bright enough to be honor roll and full IB but not driven enough to stay full IB, She is repeating grade 12, as she got bogged down with the whole grad thing and stopped working. She did however do very well in IB Japanese
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

docrcc is an unknown quantity at this point

good grief! looks like I should have done more research on schools in Alberta. I should have known Wikipedia would be a trickle of knowledge instead of the fountain I was seeking.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

good grief! looks like I should have done more research on schools in Alberta. I should have known Wikipedia would be a trickle of knowledge instead of the fountain I was seeking.
Wait till you ask a question about cheese !
Old Sep 8th 2013, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You need to be more specific to obtain the correct answers.

Where do you intend to live?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 5:18 pm
Yo

Thanks for all the responses so far. I didn't realize the variations in grades across Canada. The elementary school is definitely K-6 (Wainwright) and the high school is 7-12 with 7-9 being designated "Junior High" or "Middle school" but all in the same building.
You have reassured me that putting him back to elementary isn't an unreasonable step.
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You need to be more specific to obtain the correct answers.

Where do you intend to live?
Seems reasonably specific?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary has a mixed system

Old schools are K-6 on the whole, but the trend for newer schools is to make K-4 and then 5-9 as middle and 10-12. It will vary by where you live and by school board.

If you really want pushing then you could always try for GATE programme or one of the charter schools (if you can get in). Or if your kid was at grammer, get them an IPP. Whatever I would keep them in the age appropriate year group
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gryphea
Calgary has a mixed system

Old schools are K-6 on the whole, but the trend for newer schools is to make K-4 and then 5-9 as middle and 10-12. It will vary by where you live and by school board.

If you really want pushing then you could always try for GATE programme or one of the charter schools (if you can get in). Or if your kid was at grammer, get them an IPP. Whatever I would keep them in the age appropriate year group
Not really keen on city practice and that's where most of those options are. I will see how the kids develop out "in the sticks" and reassess if I'm not happy. Thanks for the info though.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:02 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Not really keen on city practice and that's where most of those options are. I will see how the kids develop out "in the sticks" and reassess if I'm not happy. Thanks for the info though.
Where are you now Docrcc? Will you child have a great big difference from a big school environment to a more rural school community? Are there great big differences in the size of school where you are now to where you will be going?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:13 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I suspect that that is specific to Cochrane.

When we were in Calgary, grade 10 was the first year of high school. Now our kids are schooled in Blackie/High River, high school commences at grade 9.
Quite possibly; like everything here, it is all very specific to an exact area. There seems no consistency.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:16 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

His birthday is March 29th. I think Alberta runs by the calendar year as well, not the school year.
Again, I'd check with the particular school board in question for your area as they all seem to vary. Where we are, the cut off is end of February so those with March birthdays are the eldest in class.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
Where are you now Docrcc? Will you child have a great big difference from a big school environment to a more rural school community? Are there great big differences in the size of school where you are now to where you will be going?
Still in the UK in an all boys school with 1200 pupils. The differences will be huge!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm new here but similar situation (Grammar school kid), so I thought I'd mention that we were told to try and get our child in to the "IB" programme (International Baccalaureat). Apparently some state schools do do it. It is supposedly more suited for the grammar school kids (and a bit more internationally portable) and the first streams start at Grade 9.
We're talking Ontario though so might be a bit different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.