Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

school fees etc

school fees etc

Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future
Default school fees etc

Hi, been offered a truck driving job on PEI and was wondering if i would be liable for a schooling fees for my kids who are 5, 10,13 and 14. Been offered a contract and then a LMO which i use to gain a work permit if this helps.

Dean
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:57 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school fees etc

You will not have to pay school fees for your kids. It probably would be a good idea to get study permits for them (C$125 each). There also may be some minimal fees at school (locker rental or this or that). But at least you won't be dinged $10,000 per child per year, as would have been the case if your kids had been "foreign students." But please note that, in order for your kids to be eligible for "free" schooling, you'll need to have a work permit. You can't just be a visitor.
x
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

We had to pay some fees for our 3 kids that go to school (in Calgary), but it is a nominal sum - not sure if all schools charge the same but the fees for the one my children go to can be seen here

The transportation fee only applies if your children are getting the school bus (my children do and because 3 get the same bus we get a family discount), and the lunch program fee only applies if your children live within walking distance (ie don't get the bus) and you want them to stay in school at lunchtime.

If you discount transportation and lunch fees it works out at $55 per child
Transportation is $165 per child but can't remember what the family discount was - I think it worked out as a max of $350 per family. And lunch program fees are $240 per child.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotteW
We had to pay some fees for our 3 kids that go to school (in Calgary), but it is a nominal sum - not sure if all schools charge the same but the fees for the one my children go to can be seen here

The transportation fee only applies if your children are getting the school bus (my children do and because 3 get the same bus we get a family discount), and the lunch program fee only applies if your children live within walking distance (ie don't get the bus) and you want them to stay in school at lunchtime.

If you discount transportation and lunch fees it works out at $55 per child
Transportation is $165 per child but can't remember what the family discount was - I think it worked out as a max of $350 per family. And lunch program fees are $240 per child.

Even these fees are not universal. In Nova Scotia transport is free and the fees for the lunch programmes are not applied everywhere and are being phased out completely soon.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies, it looks like it won't be a small fortune.
Just need to get on with the paperwork.

Dean
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Hi

When we came to PEI we didn't need to get a study permit for our 10 year old. He was added to the bottom of hubby's work permit as allowed to attend school

When we registered him at school they didnt even ask to see the work permit