Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Scared to want this too much

Scared to want this too much

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:38 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default Scared to want this too much

Does anyone/has anyone else ever felt this way? We have our recce booked for May and we are definitely excited and anxious to know what lies in store for us but I just can't bring myself to get too excited about this trip in case we love it so much but nothing ever comes of it. I am sorry to be such a downer but everytime we find a way of getting to Canada, it gets shot out of the water. With the Skilled Workers route I exceed the required points but need a job offer. OH has a job on "the list" but misses the points criteria by 1. We have thought about going out to Canada to live for a couple of months to find work but we will need to sell our house first and see how much of a profit we make before we decide if this will even be financially viable. We hope to get some success with finding work whilst on our recce trip but I am not holding my breath. As I said, sorry for being a misery guts, just needed to vent.....thanks for reading, All
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared to want this too much

Originally Posted by engineer80
Does anyone/has anyone else ever felt this way?
Yep, we definitely felt that way all the way through our application process. We were borderline on points (in our view) but loved what we had seen here on our research trips and so trying not to get ahead of ourselves was an ever-present feeling.

Best wishes on your research and job hunting trip...hope you nab the job you are seeking.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

I know what you mean. I have wanted to live in Canada since I was a child, long time ago!! I eventualy plucked up the courage to go on a Reccie in 2004, to Vancouver, nearly 30 yrs later. I loved it even more than I thought I would. I also have been twice since then and once by myself to do exams and stuff for nearly a month. I did not want to come home!!! Having got to know people canadians Brits and Americans they all have said how gorgeous Victoria VI is. So my Dream kind of transferred to Victoria, having said that I was too scared to go there in May last year incase I liked it too much and was unable to live there because of work!!! But now it looks like I am going to be working in Victoria for at least 6 months when I first get there, and now I am panicing because I havent been there!!!

Just get your act together and go, don't procrastinate as I have, and by any means get yourselves out there. You will never know till you do it, and where there is a will there is a way. Job offer and TWP may be the way to go. Good Luck

Sarah x
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:09 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you so much for your responses and encouragement It's good to know there are folk out there fighting the same battles and fears as us. I wish you both the best of luck with your new lives in Canada
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:36 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by engineer80
Does anyone/has anyone else ever felt this way? We have our recce booked for May and we are definitely excited and anxious to know what lies in store for us but I just can't bring myself to get too excited about this trip in case we love it so much but nothing ever comes of it. I am sorry to be such a downer but everytime we find a way of getting to Canada, it gets shot out of the water. With the Skilled Workers route I exceed the required points but need a job offer. OH has a job on "the list" but misses the points criteria by 1. We hope to get some success with finding work whilst on our recce trip but I am not holding my breath.
I know the rules & regs are different these days but we were feeling like you ... one point short & a recce booked (this was 2004) ... OH managed to secure a couple of interviews whille we were visiting & one of them led to a job offer ...... we moved over the following September Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

ryancoffey is an unknown quantity at this point

These challenges are quite typical for someone who is moving over here. As a local raised by a Londoner father and as a Realtor who deals with people coming from the U.K. and other countries regularly I've seen this quite a few times. I've gone through a very similar sort of thing when I moved to Japan and my wife had it too when we moved back here.

The most common complaint I hear from expats from most any country is that Canadian companies and the gov't have a way of not recognizing education, experience or certification that is from other countries. This is something I think is truly stupid on our part because it prevents us from making good use of the talented people that are moving here and it prevents some talented people from moving here at all. Of course, this isn't an absolute, my wife managed to find work she likes in her own field but I would really like to see some sorts of integration program for new citizens. You however are on the skilled worker list. BIG PLUS. It's hard to get the job offer when you're not here though. Send me a PM telling me what you do and I'll see if I know anyone. No promises except to try.

Have you thought of renting out your house in the U.K. instead of selling? and I generally tell everyone to buy and not sell unless you have to. This is because prices go up over time and so does the rent. Not to mention you have to pay people like me and lawyers and taxes etc. You can count rental income toward your mortgage should you choose to buy here. Not sure if the cross borders income would affect that or not though. Ask a mortgage broker.

It seems that it's a five year plan for most people to get things on track to where they want them to be. Of course there are those who fulfill their freams right away, and I know a few, but there are also those who don't. The biggest problem in my eyes, is the expectations that some people come with. You can't just move to a new country and expect everything to work out the way you had hoped. It takes time to build your new life. I've experienced this even within my own country when I moved to the opposite coast. Who you know is a big thing everywhere you might be.

I've heard of people who stay a year or so and then run off home because things weren't what they wanted. In my eyes, such people never gave it a chance and expected a great new life to be immediate and without effort. Bot realistic. However, I've met MANY MANY people, my wife and father for starters who have moved here not really sure if they were going to like it and have no interest in going back. I see the same patterns regarldess of which country people are coming from. It's quiet, clean, green, affordable and the people are warm hearted here. (They're a bit aloof at first, but once they open up they're pretty good.)

Oh, and that British accent makes you seem cool and interesting to the locals somehow. I think deep down most Canadians wish they spoke like that.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 10:09 pm
Done!

Originally Posted by ryancoffey
These challenges are quite typical for someone who is moving over here. As a local raised by a Londoner father and as a Realtor who deals with people coming from the U.K. and other countries regularly I've seen this quite a few times. I've gone through a very similar sort of thing when I moved to Japan and my wife had it too when we moved back here.

The most common complaint I hear from expats from most any country is that Canadian companies and the gov't have a way of not recognizing education, experience or certification that is from other countries. This is something I think is truly stupid on our part because it prevents us from making good use of the talented people that are moving here and it prevents some talented people from moving here at all. Of course, this isn't an absolute, my wife managed to find work she likes in her own field but I would really like to see some sorts of integration program for new citizens. You however are on the skilled worker list. BIG PLUS. It's hard to get the job offer when you're not here though. Send me a PM telling me what you do and I'll see if I know anyone. No promises except to try.

Have you thought of renting out your house in the U.K. instead of selling? and I generally tell everyone to buy and not sell unless you have to. This is because prices go up over time and so does the rent. Not to mention you have to pay people like me and lawyers and taxes etc. You can count rental income toward your mortgage should you choose to buy here. Not sure if the cross borders income would affect that or not though. Ask a mortgage broker.

It seems that it's a five year plan for most people to get things on track to where they want them to be. Of course there are those who fulfill their freams right away, and I know a few, but there are also those who don't. The biggest problem in my eyes, is the expectations that some people come with. You can't just move to a new country and expect everything to work out the way you had hoped. It takes time to build your new life. I've experienced this even within my own country when I moved to the opposite coast. Who you know is a big thing everywhere you might be.

I've heard of people who stay a year or so and then run off home because things weren't what they wanted. In my eyes, such people never gave it a chance and expected a great new life to be immediate and without effort. Bot realistic. However, I've met MANY MANY people, my wife and father for starters who have moved here not really sure if they were going to like it and have no interest in going back. I see the same patterns regarldess of which country people are coming from. It's quiet, clean, green, affordable and the people are warm hearted here. (They're a bit aloof at first, but once they open up they're pretty good.)

Oh, and that British accent makes you seem cool and interesting to the locals somehow. I think deep down most Canadians wish they spoke like that.
PM'ing you right now! Thanks for your reply