Scared

Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice
Unhappy Scared

The more and more I'm thinking of moving to Toronto the more and more scared I start to feel.

I'm about to book flights but haven't quite plucked up the courage to pick a date. I'm just pretty apprehensive about going to a new country with no job and then only having 1 year (going on BUNAC) to find a job and try to somehow gain permanent residence. Looks like a lot of luck is required.

Then on the other hand I imagine not going and the feeling of not "scratching that itch" and always thinking "what if I had gone?". I feel like I need to do something interesting and exciting in my life. I'm guessing these are normal thoughts for a lot of people, but I need some re-assurance that I'm not making a big mistake. I'm making a comfortable living at the moment but its just that comfortable and very dull.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

louiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scared

You are doing the right thing. I went with Bunac in 2005 and I had an awesome time. Ever since coming home in 2006 i have gone back more or less every 3 months or so. I am now married to a lovely Canadian man and have appplied for him to sponsor me, so i can finally go out and live with him and start my life.

I only went to Canada as i wasnt up for Auz and my mum had gone to Canada in the 70s.

Now i cant wait to live there for good. PLus you only live once so make the most of it.

I hope that helps, and have fun.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:49 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its natural to be anxious, but perhaps its better not to put so much pressure on yourself as to look at Bunac as one year to land a job leading to PR.

Think of it as a test drive, for all you know you may not even like the reality of living and working in Canada, so take it one day at a time, enjoy what there is to enjoy, and dont get so focussed on the wood that you cant see the trees.

Think smaller and focus on smaller tasks, and try and focus on what good things you expect or would like to happen, as well as thinking about the adventure.

If it all goes tits up at least you tried and learned something about yourself, and there will always be more jobs out there in the motherland to return to if necessary, just dont burn any bridges.

Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:46 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. I completely agree with the other comments posted in response. It's natural to feel a bit scared and apprehensive; I know I was! To be fair, my husband had a job lined up to come to we were moving with permanent resident status already in hand so I know we didn't have that worry, but we were still uprooting the whole family, kids and pets included, and making a big move. We too often thought that if we didn't do it, we'd always be thinking "What if?". In the end we decided that life's too short and life should be an adventure so let's do it. Afterall, if we didn't like it, we could always make the move back home. However, glad to report we love it loads and have no intention of going home.

Try not to fret about the what if's (I know it's hard not to) but just enjoy it, whether it be for just a year or longer.

All the best.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

torontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nice

Hi,

We came to Toronto on the Irish equivilant of BUNAC (it's called USIT) on a one year visa on December 19th 2007 and happily found a job that sponsored me onwards after the year, we'll be applying for PR this year.....

It's an adventure, dive right in. I'll meet you for a pint
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

ScottishJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey
Just to add my support along with the other comments. I say that since you only live once, it's better to try and risk it not working out, than not to try at all and regret it later!
If the doors are open for you now you may as well go for it....you never know what changes the immigration folks may make down the line.
After years of deliberation I am going to move to Toronto also (by myself!), the only option for me is International Student/Experience Class route which is also extremely risky as there are no guarantees at the end of it.
But I intend to have maximum fun even if it doesn't work out in the end!
Good luck!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

In a similar boat myself. My partner and I always wanted to try out life in Canada but when she fell pregnant we put all those thoughts on hold until fairly recently when the idea took hold again and now we are sending our applications of.

There are days and nights when all I can think of is the move over and how much I hope things work out but then there are times when I feel very guilty for taking my parents only grandson some distance away.

There are some fears of job security and not meeting like minded people to make friends with but we're a young family and will never be in a position where we would be without support if everything goes tits up and we end up having to head back to the UK.

These sort of feelings are only natural. If you're like me you could almost do with a little push in the right direction - big decisions arent easy to make but this is one I think will be worth it.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice

Thanks for all the kind and re-assuring words. It's really great to hear about other peoples experiences. I think I will book flights this weekend. It will be better also if I have a date to work towards with regards to selling stuff and wrapping things up in the UK.

And torontopaddy I'll join you for that pint!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Platinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Scared

I felt the same way too however very often, we prefer to take the easier way out, because we don't want to take risks like moving to a new country to start all over again. But great risk often leads to great rewards. Just stay positive & focused and you will succeed.

Hope this helps!

P979
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Jeswah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phoresis
The more and more I'm thinking of moving to Toronto the more and more scared I start to feel.

I'm about to book flights but haven't quite plucked up the courage to pick a date. I'm just pretty apprehensive about going to a new country with no job and then only having 1 year (going on BUNAC) to find a job and try to somehow gain permanent residence. Looks like a lot of luck is required.

Then on the other hand I imagine not going and the feeling of not "scratching that itch" and always thinking "what if I had gone?". I feel like I need to do something interesting and exciting in my life. I'm guessing these are normal thoughts for a lot of people, but I need some re-assurance that I'm not making a big mistake. I'm making a comfortable living at the moment but its just that comfortable and very dull.
Hey Phoresis,

I just wanted to add my good luck wishes to the ones above. I am in the same boat as you, I'm chucking it all in to go Vancouver with Bunac in August.

I've got to a point in my career where I 'm bored, I broke up with my long term boyfriend too and had to sell all our things and move back in with my parents. It was then I decided life was too short to not at least try and do something like this.

But now I'e booked my flights, I'm experiencing "the fear". I'm a girl, on my own, with no job or contacts in a new country...it's scary I agree!

But I've done a fair bit of travelling in the past to know, this isn't such a scary situation to be in. When you're on your own, you make friends quicker because you have too. Other people too will see you're on your own and I think you'll be surprised by the warmth and friendliness of complete strangers (in the most part, I don't mean everyone!)

There is some really good advice here, so thanks for posting how you feel. I have benefitted from reading it all too. If you want to stay in touch for moral support, let me know. I know I'll be the other side of the country but you can never have too many friends!

Good luck and remember even if you come home after 3 months, it's better than leaving with the regret of not doing it!