Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Saying goodbye...

Saying goodbye...

Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all
Default Saying goodbye...

I am just back to the BE community after the most horrific experience of my life.
I got a call from my sister on 8th Jan to say my mother had been taken ill and rushed into hospital with a suspected heavy stroke. By the time I got to the hospital at 4:00am on the 10th she had suffered a big heart attack too and was only being sustained with the help of the oxygen supply.
She was very weak but managed to open her eyes and look into my eyes for just a moment. She never opened her eyes again after that and we lost her on Sunday the 13th of January 2013.

The reason I'm writing this here is because I've realised that if I'd already embarked my planned move to Canada by now, then I would probably not have got back in time to see my mother look into my eyes before she passed and I would have been devastated.

There are only three positives I can take from this whole experience:
1; She did not recover to find herself disabled by her stroke...she was such an active person even at the age of 79 and she would have been heartbroken to find she could no longer do all the activities she loved.
2; She knew I was there and I was holding her hand, and she looked into my eyes before she passed.
3; I am so proud that I am her son.

The point I'm trying to make within this thread is...before you embark on an adventure to another country far away, make sure you look straight into the eyes of your loved ones and tell them you love them, because it could well be the last opportunity you get to do it.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saying goodbye...

Originally Posted by Gazman
I am just back to the BE community after the most horrific experience of my life.
I got a call from my sister on 8th Jan to say my mother had been taken ill and rushed into hospital with a suspected heavy stroke. By the time I got to the hospital at 4:00am on the 10th she had suffered a big heart attack too and was only being sustained with the help of the oxygen supply.
She was very weak but managed to open her eyes and look into my eyes for just a moment. She never opened her eyes again after that and we lost her on Sunday the 13th of January 2013.

The reason I'm writing this here is because I've realised that if I'd already embarked my planned move to Canada by now, then I would probably not have got back in time to see my mother look into my eyes before she passed and I would have been devastated.

There are only three positives I can take from this whole experience:
1; She did not recover to find herself disabled by her stroke...she was such an active person even at the age of 79 and she would have been heartbroken to find she could no longer do all the activities she loved.
2; She knew I was there and I was holding her hand, and she looked into my eyes before she passed.
3; I am so proud that I am her son.

The point I'm trying to make within this thread is...before you embark on an adventure to another country far away, make sure you look straight into the eyes of your loved ones and tell them you love them, because it could well be the last opportunity you get to do it.
So sorry to hear you lost your mum.

Sound advice at the end - thank you.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:59 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Im so sorry to hear about your mum's passing. Its a really hard time and memories can be really painful at first, it takes time for the memories to become fond, but it does start to happen, I promise.

Very good advice at the end too.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for your loss Gazman.

I will make sure I tell my folks how much I love and appreciate them before we leave them in March.

Best wishes to you and your family.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Unbelievable that this scenario doesn't dawn on people before the big move .
Not being harsh but the reality is that leaving relatives behind , especially the elderly ones , sooner or later the call will come . Tis a lot easier to grab a flight back from here than it would be from Oz but even so ffs think ahead .
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:43 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Not being harsh but the reality is that leaving relatives behind , especially the elderly ones , sooner or later the call will come . Tis a lot easier to grab a flight back from here than it would be from Oz but even so ffs think ahead .
insensitive much

Pretty sure it downs on all of us, all the time ffs.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that mate,I know the feeling too well myself having lost my mum to a hospital blunder when she was only 47,15years ago now.
I was there at the end like yourself mate,and understand how it feels.

I got hit with a double whammy as 3 years later my wee bro was diagnosed with 75% renal kidney failure from a mystery childhood illness that no one picked up on.

My dad was in the Falklands when his father took ill,it took 3weeks to get back to the UK,by then he was gone though

Don't do what I done,bottle it up,hit drink,etc... talk to someone that you can mate!
I reckon loosing a parent is the hardest thing in the world,short of loosing a child.

All the best mate,I know how hard it can be,things DO get better/easier though,hang in there.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Deeply sorry for your loss and a good reminder to people before they embark on this kind of adventure.

My ex-hubby and I moved to Canada in 96. Four months later we got the call that his mum had passed away totally unexpectedly. As you can imagine he never forgave himself for not being there for her.

Be glad that you were there at the end, and I'm sure your mum would bless your future plans. xx
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Gazman that's awful, and I'm so glad that you were there at the last for your mum. The only thing is that death is quite often unexpected. I boarded a train at Clapham Junction some years back and the man next to me had a problem and by the end of the journey had died in my arms. My own mother and father died within a year of each other, but completely unexpectedly too. When my dad died I was less than five miles away. You can't always put your life on hold in preparation for unforeseen circumstances. You can, as you say, always let those you love know it, and try your best to never go to sleep on a cross word or an argument. The rest is just up to life's Lotto.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
insensitive much

Pretty sure it downs on all of us, all the time ffs.
No it doesn't. I had a brother who left the country and left myself and our elderly father without a word of 'what if'. He has done this sort of thing all his life and NO HE DIDN'T THINK and never will. Rant....
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Gazman

Firstly, wanna say my thoughts are with you during this difficult time. My story is different to yours, however we were in a similar process of planing our move to Canada, when my Dad died.

I went through so much Guilt at the time about how I had been planning a new life, while my Dad's was coming to an end. On reflection I know how much he would have wanted me to be happy in this world and never would have been a reason I was not.

One thing I would seriously consider and in my case it was the reason Canada did not work first time for me ( and I did say in my case). If you can take time, maybe put the move on hold, grieve if you need to. I moved within 4 months of my Dad's death, away from Friends & Relatives and everything that connected me to him, his home, his routines. In the end the grief became too much and I had to come back and mourn my loss in familiar surroundings.

I lost both parents before I was forty, one suddenly, one not.

What you say about telling people you love that fact is so important, you never know when you will be near them again physically. My Mum suffered a huge heart attack, whilst on holiday. She had literally put the phone down on my Dad. My half-sister said the last words she said was " I Love you" to my Dad, put down the receiver and then was gone.

My Mum always used to say to me when I was growing up "Remember those you treasure in your life - as those memories will become the treasures."
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

If you love 'em, tell 'em. Often.

Anyone can be gone in the blink of an eye. I missed the death of both my parents, and I was not far away. They knew I loved them very much, and vice versa.

It's crap, but it happens. Gazman - so glad you were able to get there.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:12 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
That's called life and everyone is entitled to do whatever they like with theirs.

Also I'd imagine "most" people do give it a bit of thought before they go. I certainly knew when I made the choice to try and come to Canada permanently that it might be the last time I saw some of my relatives. I know my parents, who are also moving to Canada soon, have been putting a lot of thought into how to help my elderly grandparents including trying to find them a home that is close to other relatives back home.

If everyone just stayed "at home" the entire American continents (north and south) would be empty.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
If everyone just stayed "at home" the entire American continents (north and south) would be empty.
...of non-native peoples.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scootb
Sorry to hear that mate,I know the feeling too well myself having lost my mum to a hospital blunder when she was only 47,15years ago now.
I was there at the end like yourself mate,and understand how it feels.

I got hit with a double whammy as 3 years later my wee bro was diagnosed with 75% renal kidney failure from a mystery childhood illness that no one picked up on.

My dad was in the Falklands when his father took ill,it took 3weeks to get back to the UK,by then he was gone though

Don't do what I done,bottle it up,hit drink,etc... talk to someone that you can mate!
I reckon loosing a parent is the hardest thing in the world,short of loosing a child.

All the best mate,I know how hard it can be,things DO get better/easier though,hang in there.
Thanks for your kind words and thank you everyone else too.
I couldn't even hit the bottle if I wanted to because there has been so much to do...but I have discovered that when I need a moment away from the chaos,...what helps is just 'one pint' on my own in a quiet pub up the road.
I'll sit in the corner on my own, let the wave hit me again, have a little cry to myself, then I go back to the chaos...it's a little release and it helps.
This is quite ironic because there were times in my life where I could not possibly have gone to a pub and had just 'one pint'...it would have to followed by another and then another half-dozen at least!.

Isn't it funny how we never expect this to ever happen. Perhaps it's because we're brought up with so many tales that end in the words "and they all lived happily ever after"......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.