Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Originally Posted by dinger24
Sounds similar to Alberta east side, the winter seems harsh at -45?
That is wind-chill temperature with 40mph winds; the 'real' temperature is only predicted to drop to -30C, the wind effectively knocks off another 15 degrees.

Either way, I just dropped by Mark's Work Wearhouse and picked up a stonking fat parka that was in the 50%-off sale .
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:01 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Lorna D, Mentions above that there are two schools in Moose Jaw. Lorna, I know you have only been here a few months, but there are closer to 22 schools in Moose Jaw. Perhaps this was just a typo. I mention this because Lisa, who opened the thread, is serious about locating into this Province, and the education and facilities available for her children, are paramount in their decision to settle here. By the way Lorna, welcome to Saskatchewan! hope you will have many happy years here.
Terry
Moose Jaw.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:04 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roanin
Lorna D, Mentions above that there are two schools in Moose Jaw. Lorna, I know you have only been here a few months, but there are closer to 22 schools in Moose Jaw. Perhaps this was just a typo. I mention this because Lisa, who opened the thread, is serious about locating into this Province, and the education and facilities available for her children, are paramount in their decision to settle here. By the way Lorna, welcome to Saskatchewan! hope you will have many happy years here.
Terry
Moose Jaw.
Thanks Terry, I wrote and rewrote that post because as I said I've only been to Moosejaw twice - what I meant to say in my rambling was there are 2 high schools by the Tim Hortons, I speak from experience of stopping for lunch there and couldn't get a table for anything and a local told me Timmies was in the middle of two schools - rambling over, it must be my age Thanks for the welcome I love it here!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:11 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Hi Lorna, next time you are in Moose Jaw, try "Bobbie's Place" for lunch or supper. It is a little Celtic pub right by the bus depot on High St East. Best fish and chips you will ever find in the whole of western Canada. Monica (owner) does a lot of British dishes, and she knows what she is doing! Roast beef and yorkshire is the "special" on Fridays.
Enjoy!
Terry
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:20 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roanin
Hi Lorna, next time you are in Moose Jaw, try "Bobbie's Place" for lunch or supper. It is a little Celtic pub right by the bus depot on High St East. Best fish and chips you will ever find in the whole of western Canada. Monica (owner) does a lot of British dishes, and she knows what she is doing! Roast beef and yorkshire is the "special" on Fridays.
Enjoy!
Terry
Thanks for the tip, it's nice to have the local knowledge we will most certainly try it next time we visit.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:30 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

You are most welcome!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:44 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
That is wind-chill temperature with 40mph winds; the 'real' temperature is only predicted to drop to -30C, the wind effectively knocks off another 15 degrees.
Why would humans try to etch out an existence in such a miserable place.....?

R.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

R.
Yep, i guess you had your shorts on today Rich as it was positively lovely in Kelowna.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:53 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Yep, i guess you had your shorts on today Rich as it was positively lovely in Kelowna.
Almost....I nearly broke into a sweat today, it was weird balmy.

R.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:55 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by Rich_007

R.
I did start to type an indepth answer this post but then though na, not worth it - all is right with the world in Sask
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

rooney2603 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by towbar
We live in manitoba, and love it, Saskachewen is the next province to the west, it is very flat, cold winters and great summers, cheaper housing than many other provinces, people are very friendly, have you ever though about Provincial Nominee, quite an easy way to get into Canada and there are plenty of jobs for carpenters
http://www.immigration.gov.sk.ca/
plenty of info on this site
Thanks we are looking into provincial nominee. Thanks everyone for the info so far it has been very helpful.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Lorna - saved me the effort!!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Wind-chill of -51C predicted tonight, this morning I had to shovel a foot of snow away from the garage at around -40C so we could get the car out!

Now I know why most of our neighbours have SUVs and 4x4 trucks .
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:05 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Hi Yorkton

We are all booked up for our recci 3rd March

All we have to do now is get the car sorted...we are very happy bunnies.

Any tips about stuff - is there anything interesting to do and see from Regina to Yorkton, and from Yorkton to Saskatoon and from Saskatoon to Moose Jaw and from Moose Jaw back to Regina?

Yorkton is where we are hoping to have the prosepective employment and Saskatoon is visiting family and Moose Jaw because we can (and its closer to get in the hot spring rather than Banff!)

Does Moose Jaw get busy enough at this time of year to warrant pre-booking a room somewhere or can we just wing it?

Are there any MJ recommendations for places to stay and see and eat etc.
This is our holiday part of the recci so we feel that a little tourism is allowed and there are no kids with us

Many thanks

Simon and Dawn
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:14 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Congrats on booking you reccie, I am sure you'll like it here.

http://moosejaw.ca/tourism/index.shtml

try this site, also try looking up the BE families in Moosejaw. I haven't been down the tunnels so can't tell you if it's worth a trip. I'm sure Welshlady and Roanin will give you loads of useful info try PM'ing them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.