Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Salary IT project manager - Calgary????

Salary IT project manager - Calgary????

Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

simon-n-Suzanne is on a distinguished road
Default Salary IT project manager - Calgary????

Hi folks, any ideas what a senior IT project manager would expect to earn in Calgary. Is it industry specific? Would be good to know how much pocket money I can expect!

Thanks folks
Old Feb 1st 2010, 11:14 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary IT project manager - Calgary????

$113k according to this :-

http://www.itworldcanada.com/salarycalculator/
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I'd be gobsmacked.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:07 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd be gobsmacked.
I did think it a little optimistic too, plus you'd have to factor in being screwed as a newcomer ("no Canadian experience" etc) - unless it's a company transfer.

Still. I'm not a PM and I'm not in the wild wild west, so have no way to dispute the figure...
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is a Senior It Project Manager in Calgary so has some direct knowledge here.

A good Senior PM with a proven track record in Oil and Gas could earn as much as $130. In other industries as little as $70. The average for a senior PM with a PMP in Calgary is around $110.

A newcomer with no network of contacts can't hope to get that much though as G77 said. A good resume may get you $90.

You may want to consider going contracting for a while to build a track record and contacts. You should also consider that in the current market there are more contract positions than permanant.

HTH
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou sooo much. As usual you guys are invaluable. It is always good to know roughly what to expect.

We are looking forward to being back in calgary, the movers come in 3 weeks
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

basildog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by simon-n-Suzanne
Thankyou sooo much. As usual you guys are invaluable. It is always good to know roughly what to expect.

We are looking forward to being back in calgary, the movers come in 3 weeks
Hi
I am an IT project Manager just moved to Calgary and have started job hunting last week. I have been told by a few agents that the best way to break into the market is to take a lower salary to get that first job.

Good Luck with the move.
Chris
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basildog
Hi
I am an IT project Manager just moved to Calgary and have started job hunting last week. I have been told by a few agents that the best way to break into the market is to take a lower salary to get that first job.

Good Luck with the move.
Chris
Hi Chris,

Not that we're expert in such things but the experience of many of our clients that have moved to Calgary and surrounds, is exactly what you have been told. Get the first job (even if it is a step back or two) and the doors to subsequent opportunities tend to become a little more ajar. Certainly, you should be taking every opportunity to network. Rightly or wrongly, that's an important part of getting on around here.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Chris, thanks for the info, I will pass on to my OH, he is the PM. From what we've heard networking seems to be key on any job hunting. Have you had much luck with the agencies? Good luck with it all, we're following in your footsteps in march so let us know how you get on.