British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Salad Cream in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/salad-cream-canada-407788/)

The Edge Nov 12th 2006 8:20 pm

Salad Cream in Canada?

Hi guys, we are heading for Vancouver at the end of December. Amongst other really important things, one thing I really would like to know is.... Can you buy Heinz Salad Cream in Canada? I can cope with most cultural differences, but subsituting Salad Cream for Mayo will cause me havoc!!

:D :D :D

britishvixen21 Nov 12th 2006 11:10 pm

Re: Salad Cream in Canada?

Originally Posted by The Edge
Hi guys, we are heading for Vancouver at the end of December. Amongst other really important things, one thing I really would like to know is.... Can you buy Heinz Salad Cream in Canada? I can cope with most cultural differences, but subsituting Salad Cream for Mayo will cause me havoc!!

You sure can, i have a bottle in my fridge right now, I get mine at Sobeys in the condiments aisle. and you can also get it in No Frills. im not sure if these stores are in Vancouver, but im sure you will get more replies.

sans Nov 12th 2006 11:40 pm

I'm with you on that :D

MB-Realtor Nov 13th 2006 12:29 am

Also at Great Canadian Super Store (or whatever the big Green places are called).

Lionel_in_Ontario Nov 13th 2006 12:48 am

You can get it, it's sub-titled "English Dressing" or something strange like that.
It's expensive though, and annoyingly only available in glass bottles that attract lots of yellowy goo around the lid, and of course you can't get the last bit out.

The Edge Nov 13th 2006 12:54 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I can now confidently make the move from the UK.

Adding a bit of vinegar tends to encourage those last bits of 'English Dressing' out of the jar. Not that I am addicted or anything.... :eek:

Purley Nov 13th 2006 1:38 am

I remember I used to absolutely love Salad Cream, however, I now find it has rather a strong taste for me. I still eat it sometimes. I bought a bottle of The Keg Dijon dressing - something like that - from Sobey's and it tastes very much like Salad Cream.

sans Nov 13th 2006 1:46 am

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I remember I used to absolutely love Salad Cream, however, I now find it has rather a strong taste for me. I still eat it sometimes. I bought a bottle of The Keg Dijon dressing - something like that - from Sobey's and it tastes very much like Salad Cream.

:D All this salad cream talk has made me hungary (Big thick crust with butter and salad cream ) Mmmmmmmm

pete66 Nov 13th 2006 1:49 am

We found ours in IGA and I always stock up when we go there...sad or what!!!

Still haven"t found the wife a M&S equivilant ......the money I am saving LOL!!!!

She too isn't happy that she cannot find white lasagne sauce in a jar....what do this women want!!

pete

Lionel_in_Ontario Nov 13th 2006 1:55 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I can now confidently make the move from the UK.

Adding a bit of vinegar tends to encourage those last bits of 'English Dressing' out of the jar. Not that I am addicted or anything.... :eek:

I knew a girl in Leeds who ate Salad Cream with everything. Is this a Leeds thing? :)

The Edge Nov 13th 2006 2:03 am

Either it is a Leeds thing or the girl you knew in Leeds was my other half!! :o

sans Nov 13th 2006 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
I knew a girl in Leeds who ate Salad Cream with everything. Is this a Leeds thing? :)

I used to know somwone that put red sauce on everything, including his sunday roast. EER

Lionel_in_Ontario Nov 13th 2006 3:10 am

Originally Posted by sans
I used to know somwone that put red sauce on everything, including his sunday roast. EER

My brother puts sweet chilli sauce (that oriental style stuff) on his roasts. Looks very bizarre mixed in with gravy.

Personally, I put habanero or scotch bonnet sauces on everything. :p

Lionel_in_Ontario Nov 13th 2006 3:13 am

Either it is a Leeds thing or the girl you knew in Leeds was my other half!! :o

I withdraw my earlier statement, I know nobody in Leeds and i've never been there in my life! ;)

dentaltech Nov 13th 2006 3:20 am

i bought salad cream from the uk shop , ( i thought i bought a case of it !! ) but i have bought the bottle from no frills , it has a slightly more vinagery taste but that may just be me , kids are fine with it.

Judy in Calgary Nov 13th 2006 3:39 am

Originally Posted by pete66
She too isn't happy that she cannot find white lasagne sauce in a jar

Sorry, I don't know what white lasagne sauce is. If it's the same thing as Alfredo sauce, I have not found it in a jar, but it does come in plastic bags. It's in the fridge section of my local supermarket, next to the fresh pasta (made by Olivieri et al).

Souvenir Nov 13th 2006 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Sorry, I don't know what white lasagne sauce is. If it's the same thing as Alfredo sauce, I have not found it in a jar, but it does come in plastic bags. It's in the fridge section of my local supermarket, next to the fresh pasta (made by Olivieri et al).

Don't you have the Classico sauces on the pasta sauce aisle in your supermarket? We buy the Alfredo by the caseload (it seems). It's probably not a true bechemel sauce (it is made by Heinz, after all) but we use it as such.

iaink Nov 13th 2006 4:28 am

LOL, Bechemel is laughably quick and easy to make. Why on earth would you want to pay $3 for a jar of it?

Souvenir Nov 13th 2006 4:46 am

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, Bechemel is laughably quick and easy to make. Why on earth would you want to pay $3 for a jar of it?

Coz we like the Classico ones. Also because my missus is at work for 11 hours a day and has better things to do with her time when she gets home than make bechemel.

And before you ask, all the recipes in this house that involve bechemel belong to her. We don't cook each other's recipes, the same we we don't break the wet/dry rule for DIY.

Alberta_Rose Nov 13th 2006 6:12 am

I wouldn't buy ready made white sauce. But I do buy Safeways Lasagne .... if she's working 11 hours a day why would she want to be cooking minced beef and tomatoes and making layers of the stuff with pasta and jars of sauce and grated cheese?? :D

On the subject of salad cream, I have just discovered "Miracle Whip" (bought by accident really) which has something of the taste of salad cream, but the consistency of mayonnaise. Rather nice! :p

adele Nov 13th 2006 7:56 am

Fabulous thread! I too only felt truly settled in Canada when I found that I could indeed buy salad cream! I got through 3 of those glass bottles of Heinz Salad Cream (English Dressing!) in 4 months! I lived downtown and if I remember rightly I think I bought it from Nesters across the street on Seymour at Nelson.

Enjoy ;)

Adele x

The Edge Nov 14th 2006 12:26 am

:p

Souvenir Nov 14th 2006 1:26 am

Originally Posted by adele
I too only felt truly settled in Canada when I found that I could indeed buy salad cream!

Isn't there a bit of a contradiction in terms going on there?

adele Nov 14th 2006 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Isn't there a bit of a contradiction in terms going on there?

I was being sarcastic - if I had to choose between the two then obviously I'd rather live in Canada without salad cream than with salad cream elsewhere... ;)

Souvenir Nov 14th 2006 1:44 am

Originally Posted by adele
I was being sarcastic - if I had to choose between the two then obviously I'd rather live in Canada without salad cream than with salad cream elsewhere... ;)

I'm encouraged.

Salad cream is one of those things, like beetroot, semolina and c*****d, that makes me want to crawl into a hole and die.

My primary school teachers and the 'dinner ladies' have much to answer for.

ImLivingTheDream Nov 14th 2006 3:02 am

Jeez a 2 page thread dedicated to Brits missing salad cream, whatever next? :rolleyes:

Daedra Nov 14th 2006 3:36 am

Originally Posted by pete66
We found ours in IGA and I always stock up when we go there...sad or what!!!

Still haven"t found the wife a M&S equivilant ......the money I am saving LOL!!!!

She too isn't happy that she cannot find white lasagne sauce in a jar....what do this women want!!

pete

I used to love making lassagnas when I lived in Canada, found out using a tub of Ricotta cheese along with sprinkles of grated mozzy and even some Montorey Jack grated cheese in the layers turned the lasagna in to a deliciously cheesy saucy servings.... I swear that those ads on TV use that trick!! *lol* :o

britishvixen21 Nov 14th 2006 4:46 am

Originally Posted by ImLivingTheDream
Jeez a 2 page thread dedicated to Brits missing salad cream, whatever next? :rolleyes:

Surely better than a 2 page thread of ppl b*tching at one another or complaining about how bad life is in Canada.

Just a light hearted thread, and I dont remember seeing any clauses when i signed my PR papers that said i would have to give up anything i ever loved back in England?

I always thought that Alfredo sauce was white sauce LOL, thats what ive been making my lasagne with ever since i got here.

Thanks to Biiink i am now able to enjoy branstons pickle here now too, she was right it is in the marinade section. THanks Biiink :)

Souvenir Nov 14th 2006 5:29 am

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Just a light hearted thread, and I dont remember seeing any clauses when i signed my PR papers that said i would have to give up anything i ever loved back in England?

You didn't read the small print.

Section 8; subsection 3; clause 9; line 27a: "Draught bitter? You're 'avin a laugh, eh?".

printer Nov 14th 2006 5:48 am

Originally Posted by ImLivingTheDream

Now you've done it.
The great salad cream debate just got bigger, this could run on and on :D

printer Nov 14th 2006 5:49 am

I'm encouraged.

Salad cream is one of those things, like beetroot, semolina and c*****d, that makes me want to crawl into a hole and die.

My primary school teachers and the 'dinner ladies' have much to answer for.

It was cabbage for me. Never touched it since.

Souvenir Nov 14th 2006 5:58 am

Originally Posted by printer
It was cabbage for me. Never touched it since.

Cabbage I can handle. C*****d and I cannot be in the same room (I kid you not).

Many years ago a woman told me that she had got horribly pi$$ed on gin & tonic as a teenager. From that day on she had not been able to look at tonic water. Made me giggle.

printer Nov 14th 2006 6:04 am

Cabbage I can handle. C*****d and I cannot be in the same room (I kid you not).

Many years ago a woman told me that she had got horribly pi$$ed on gin & tonic as a teenager. From that day on she had not been able to look at tonic water. Made me giggle.

I remember getting horribly pi$$ed on G & T swiped from my dads drinks cabinet but the one thing that really made me sick and i cannot stand the smell of now was Creme de menthe (don't know how you spell it) but it was a really strong green coloured mint liqueur

Daedra Nov 14th 2006 6:29 am

I remember getting horribly pi$$ed on G & T swiped from my dads drinks cabinet but the one thing that really made me sick and i cannot stand the smell of now was Creme de menthe (don't know how you spell it) but it was a really strong green coloured mint liqueur

Rum and Coke was my teenage experience, dont taste or look half as nice on the way out as on the way in *lol* Don't touch it (coke) now and the smell of rum makes my tummy churn.

printer Nov 14th 2006 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Daedra
Rum and Coke was my teenage experience, dont taste or look half as nice on the way out as on the way in *lol* Don't touch it (coke) now and the smell of rum makes my tummy churn.

Now i wondered how long it would take, you just couldn't resist the "Salad Cream" thread either eh?

Daedra Nov 14th 2006 6:52 am

sadly Printer, I been here since page 2 *lol* :o :o

printer Nov 14th 2006 7:02 am

sadly Printer, I been here since page 2 *lol* :o :o

Sorry, my mistake, so you were.
I must have breezed through without noticing, which isn't difficult really.

Daedra Nov 14th 2006 7:11 am

Sorry, my mistake, so you were.
I must have breezed through without noticing, which isn't difficult really.

Is this the same thread that talked about cheez whiz and marmite or am I getting my threads confused in a more Senior moment? :confused: ;)

printer Nov 14th 2006 7:26 am

Is this the same thread that talked about cheez whiz and marmite or am I getting my threads confused in a more Senior moment? :confused: ;)

God knows, now i'm confused.

Don't like either anyway.

Daedra Nov 14th 2006 7:31 am

Cheez whiz heated up combined with jalapenos, salsa and nacho chips are YUM! The best part of going to the cinemas for me... OOPS, mixing threads now *lol* :p