Reload this Page >

Saint John, NB?

Saint John, NB?

Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Mrsmopp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saint John, NB?

Hi All,

First post but spent weeks reading, digesting and laughing along with you all Nice to have a bit of sarcasm and humour thrown in amongst the debates and discussions.

We currently live semi rurally in the Leicestershire countryside, the only reason we no longer live the complete rural idyl is because we now have a 3 year old son. We have no desire to live in the hustle and bustle but we do need access to decent facilities, schooling and the social side of things for the benefit of the small person growing up.

We originally thought that Saint John would be an ideal fit for us but I got swayed by the beauty of NS so we moved our research there. With the high taxes and some of the feedback we've read we're swaying back towards Saint John (possibly Fredericton) and would really value some first hand experience.

My husband is a HGV/Plant/Diesel Mechanic and we have spoken to a few companies who seem keen to talk LMO with him so we're hopeful that work won't be an issue for him.

Any first hand information we'd be very grateful for
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

getmeintohalifax is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saint John, NB?

I've spent quite a bit of time in Saint John (my fiancee is from Saint Andrews NB and SJ is the nearest decent-sized city) but I've never lived there. Our friends in the city enjoy a significantly lower cost of living compared to us in Halifax. SJ is a very industrial city that is a bit rough around the edges but that definitely lends it a certain charm (I lived in Moncton and hated it - it has very little in the way of charm and character and I much prefer SJ). There are also plenty of beautiful areas within an hour's drive so, although the big John aint the prettiest, there are definitely areas of natural beauty nearby.

I hope you don't mind fog, though!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Around the outskirts....and I mean def out of the city....very nice. But Saint John itself....blurgh !
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I think the song Dirty Old Town summarises Saint John pretty well
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

mamtaman is an unknown quantity at this point

I was on the East Coast off a few weeks last year, towards the end of November.
I found the people nice, and the scenery awesome. It rained a lot though, and reminded me quite like the small towns and villages in Cornwall, even the mud was red.
I'm hoping to go back this year for an actual holiday.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Fredericton it is then
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
Fredericton it is then
Dont even get me started on Fredricton
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nldfc
Dont even get me started on Fredricton
We just want somewhere pleasant to live where there are opportunities for the small person to preogress through life and where we can enjoy a bit of space and a coastline within reach - whodathunk it so hard
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We just want somewhere pleasant to live where there are opportunities for the small person to preogress through life and where we can enjoy a bit of space and a coastline within reach - whodathunk it so hard
Suffolk or Northumberland it is then?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't there places like that in England, not so far from Leicestershire? And perhaps closer to small persons relatives than Canada. Or, is there another reason for considering Canada?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Suffolk or Northumberland it is then?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Aren't there places like that in England, not so far from Leicestershire? And perhaps closer to small persons relatives than Canada. Or, is there another reason for considering Canada?
We live quiet pleasantly over here, but are stuck in a never ending cycle of renting and self employment due to the obscene prices of semi rural property around here (and land that goes with it) and various other elements. Family isn't really an issue as one grandparent is in Scotland and one is various counties away. We'd like to be able to offer a little more in the way of security (ie be able to buy our own property) a little more in the way of 'outdoors' and a slightly steadier pace of life - hence not looking to head to a big city.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

One caution. If at all possible line up a job before embarking. Whether you choose NB or NS the same applies. The Maritimes are not flush with jobs although some areas are easier than others. Don't be taken in by Canadian real estate agents plugging their trade in the UK at seminars. Most of what they have to say is pure fantasy.
There is a looming job market for skilled trades people due to the ship building contracts in both NB and NS. The latter has the lions share of future jobs. I say future because non of these jobs are online as yet. By some estimates there is still a couple of years before things will get rolling.
Land and housing prices are generally better than that available in the UK. Again a big caveat. Choosing where to live will have a big impact on what you will pay for housing.
The other factor or bogey man if you will, is weather. Generally NB has a greater snow fall and is colder than NS. This will affect the type of housing you plan on purchasing. Just do some research on homes before you commit. Make sure the place is well insulated. If it isn't you will pay for heating through the nose. Many make the mistake of buying an older home and then find the cost to heat is high.
Energy costs are less here but, that is ofset by the weather again.
I wish you luck finding what you need.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you

We are planning to get work etc in place before going, we're in contact with a couple of employers (one in NS and one in NB) who have both shown an interest in going down the LMO route. Having a small person to consider we'd never come over on a wing and a prayer so would make sure we have employment before making a commitment to move.

Valid point that we hadn't considered re: older homes, we'll be renting inititally but if all goes well and we do buy that is certainly something we should bear in mind (despite the appeal of the older homes)
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Good that you are considering jobs here. There are some unscrupulous characters out there. Do lots of investigating before you decide.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

NicknBridget is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Grand Bay-Westfield, which is about 20 mins out of Saint John. My husband was offered a job in Saint John and we came to do a recce trip and fell in love with the area. Saint John is a blue collar city, and has some rough parts, but it has a certain charm and there are some beautiful old buildings and parks. Possibly a better choice job-wise for you in that there may be more job opportunities than Fredericton, which is more white collar.
There are some lovely towns surrounding Saint John and all within commuting distance. We chose our town because it's small (under 5000) people, so semi-rural, and in a fabulous location on the St John River. People are friendly and the sense of community is strong.
We've been here almost 3 years now and don't regret our choice at all. We are so lucky to have so many beautiful places on our doorstep, including the Bay of Fundy, the St John River and endless trails and lakes. We love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.