Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

RV's - Vancouver - Calgary

RV's - Vancouver - Calgary

Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough
Default RV's - Vancouver - Calgary

Im looking to travel between Vancouver and Calgary early next year by RV.
Does anybody know of any good people to use ?
If not it will have to be by car.
thanks
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RV's - Vancouver - Calgary

Originally Posted by kevinm
thanks
If you really must drive around in an RV could you not please do it in Saskatchewan ? It's flat there and you won't cause such an obstruction.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you really must drive around in an RV could you not please do it in Saskatchewan ? It's flat there and you won't cause such an obstruction.
If I end up in Saskatchewan then im seriuolsy off course
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:57 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you mean by "early" next year. I take it to mean January. If that's what it means, I advise against travelling by RV. If it's a time sensitive journey, e.g., if you have a specific appointment you have to keep, I wouldn't advise road travel at all. You could get stuck in a town like Revelstoke or Golden while road crews clear an avalanche off the TransCanada Highway. It happens only once or twice a winter, but if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, it could impinge on your trip.

The conventional wisdom, when that happens, is to take another route to Calgary. For instance, when the road is closed around Golden, it takes a long time, but you can access Calgary from a more southerly point. This past winter, however, there was an occasion on which travellers were stuck in Golden for a few days. The alternative route to the south wasn't any good to them because the Crowsnest Pass on Hwy #3 was blocked at the same time. From what I heard on the radio, it sounded as if they just settled into the motels in Golden, had a few beers, some of them went skiing, and they all were reported to be making the best of things. If you had the time to spare, you could afford to take the risk of encountering this situation. Most likely you wouldn't run into the situation, and you'd be fine.

If you're planning to do the trip between May and October, scrap what I've said.

The Open Roads Forum is a wonderful source of information about the use of recreational vehicles.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I don't know what you mean by "early" next year. I take it to mean January. If that's what it means, I advise against travelling by RV. If it's a time sensitive journey, e.g., if you have a specific appointment you have to keep, I wouldn't advise road travel at all. You could get stuck in a town like Revelstoke or Golden while road crews clear an avalanche off the TransCanada Highway. It happens only once or twice a winter, but if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, it could impinge on your trip.

The conventional wisdom, when that happens, is to take another route to Calgary. For instance, when the road is closed around Golden, it takes a long time, but you can access Calgary from a more southerly point. This past winter, however, there was an occasion on which travellers were stuck in Golden for a few days. The alternative route to the south wasn't any good to them because the Crowsnest Pass on Hwy #3 was blocked at the same time. From what I heard on the radio, it sounded as if they just settled into the motels in Golden, had a few beers, some of them went skiing, and they all were reported to be making the best of things. If you had the time to spare, you could afford to take the risk of encountering this situation. Most likely you wouldn't run into the situation, and you'd be fine.

If you're planning to do the trip between May and October, scrap what I've said.

The Open Roads Forum is a wonderful source of information about the use of recreational vehicles.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Judy for the info.

Should of made it clearer, Im saying early next year as I want it to feel as soon as possible. Its acutally mid may for 2 - 3 weeks.
I will be going places like Nelson, Castlegar etc.
Hopefully this is to see ideally where id like to move too.
Just not sure its at all possible though. If its not I will still have a good holiday as I love Canada.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 6:14 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
I don't have a recommendation of any specific company as such but I had my own camperized van when I lived on Vancouver Island and had some work done to it at a local dealer who was a member of:

http://www.rvda.bc.ca/

Not sure if that helps.

Going by car can be a good option too - just throw some camping gear in the boot or stay at hotels/motels. Or motorcycle it. My personal preference is a campervan - drives like a regular vehicle, can easily explore side roads, can camp most anywhere and isn't as cumbersome to drive trhough the mountains. I admit there not as spacious as an RV but who wants to spend their time in an RV or van when you're in the mountains?

Whatever you choose - have fun, drive safe and don't feed the bears.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:07 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

thanks
Hi Kevin,

we used http://www.canadream.com/ last year....no complaints at all. Good, clean motorhomes with plenty of choice, and efficient customer service.

Scouse
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

burmonk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
Hi Kev

We used Holiday Rental & Sales of Fraser Highway Aldergrove, BC. . There are lots of RV renters along the Langley strip (Canadian etc) Found them fine. They will do airport meets as well. Details of many rv renters in www.gorving.ca

good luck