Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Running in Canada,Winnipeg

Running in Canada,Winnipeg

Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Cunnanes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running in Canada,Winnipeg

I have posted a few threads about the more serious issues of moving to Winnipeg but now to the real day to day stuff!!
As a very keen runner i enjoy going out for a run most days as my stress buster and time out after being mommy all day and i would go mad some days without my daily fix si i was wondering how or if people cope with running in the extreme temperatures of Winnipeg, do you just go indoors on the treadmill through winter or is it possible to run on the snow, or is it just too cold because of windchill etc?
i have browsed at Manitoba Runners webpage and looked up a few marathons and races that go on in Manitoba but i wasn't sure how popular running is in Winnipeg?!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:23 pm
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Running in Canada,Winnipeg

Originally Posted by Cunnanes
I have posted a few threads about the more serious issues of moving to Winnipeg but now to the real day to day stuff!!
As a very keen runner i enjoy going out for a run most days as my stress buster and time out after being mommy all day and i would go mad some days without my daily fix si i was wondering how or if people cope with running in the extreme temperatures of Winnipeg, do you just go indoors on the treadmill through winter or is it possible to run on the snow, or is it just too cold because of windchill etc?
i have browsed at Manitoba Runners webpage and looked up a few marathons and races that go on in Manitoba but i wasn't sure how popular running is in Winnipeg?!
I couldn't comment on Winnipeg, but I run year round in Calgary. I know they get long periods of seriously cold weather, but it can get pretty cold in Calgary too. Running upto -15c is pretty easy with just an extra layer or two and hat and gloves. -15c to -25c needs a couple of extra layers two pairs of gloves and a good hat. Below -25c (incl windchill) I wear a running balaclava. I have run down to probably -35c including windchill for about an hour, any colder or longer it gets dangerous.

There is quite a few winter runners in Calgary, although many who never venture out and stay on the treadmills. Often if the wind is low and the sun is shining it is a beautiful time to run. I would rather run in -10c than +20c.

I run downtown in Calgary along the river most weekdays, and they are cleared of snow by lunchtime after each snowfall. We are very lucky.

Go to a good running shop when you arrive and stock up on some winter gear. Not cheap but worth it.

Good luck.

Nick

(Calgary Marathon 2010 and 2011)
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Excellent im pleased to hear it and i hope to do Calgary marathon soon!!!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I also like to run, and in Ont the weather is warm one day and bitter the next. I refuse to run when there is a bad wind chill. I have done up to about -20 on a clear sunny day. I live in the country so have to be a bit careful as roads are not as well maintained as in the city. After being in UK for so many years then returning here I knew how cold it can be and can get!
I bundle up and warm up on treadmill for the first 10 or 15 mins and the cold never seems to bother me after that.
I often have sneezing fits after running in the cold tho and it lasts for 2 days, so sometimes even tho I hate it, I do treadmill on the really cold days.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

tobapaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a runner/jogger myself but I see lots of them here in Winnipeg all year round - on snow or not & in very cold temps.

People also cycle all year round & we have one brave soul who commutes on his unicycle in the snow
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

there are lots of trails to jog or cycle on in Winnipeg, alongside the rivers etc, it might be a bit difficult further out in the suburbs as there aren't much in the way of sidewalks.

In the summer, on sundays Wellington crescent and Wolseley ave are closed to cars. This leaves a circular route - crossing the river by bridge, linking to two streets, it is the preserve of cyclists and runners

Assiniboine park is a big space and also there is assiniboine forest, with trails linking the two.

I'm not a runner, more of a cyclist so cant help much with clubs etc, but I am sure there are some if thats your bag

You would need to coverup to avoid windchill, but other than that you should be fine. The great thing about manitoban winter is the fabulous sunshine, which is really invigorating. I probably wouldn't recommend being out very much when its -35, though!!

Oh and if you like hills you will be disappointed

Last edited by snowshoveller; Feb 21st 2011 at 6:26 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Shame about the hills but hey im just glad i wil be able to run!!!excellent thanks guys
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cunnanes
i wasn't sure how popular running is in Winnipeg?!
Oh! There are crazy people running all year round all across Canada! Don't worry. A really great organization here is 'the running room' which may only be in Ontario -- they have a great social club with running clubs, links to all the Marathons across North America. Don't worry -- you won't be alone!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Oh! There are crazy people running all year round all across Canada! Don't worry. A really great organization here is 'the running room' which may only be in Ontario -- they have a great social club with running clubs, links to all the Marathons across North America. Don't worry -- you won't be alone!
The Running Room is all over North America. Their website lists three stores in Winnipeg.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Nikki73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Yes, we have the running room here in Winnipeg. It is definitely possible to run year round here, you could also nordic trek, there are some great treks around birds hill, assiniboine and up fort whythe area. I did the hyperthermic half marathon last year and loved it, (only walked, but it was very invigorating. Good luck and if you want to get in touch when you get here, give me a shout, Nichola
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:27 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

A colleague of mine runs every day ... she runs marathons and mega-marathons ... eg 100km, which to me seems simply insane!
We live in Calgary, but she will travel for those really long runs...

hahaha ... I just found a link to a calendar of canadian ultramarathons ... some through winter with names such as "Frozen-Ass"
http://www.clubfatass.com/calendarofcanadianultras

This could be you! (see pic)
Attached Thumbnails Running in Canada,Winnipeg-ox1a9290.jpg  

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 7th 2011 at 5:42 am.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:05 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP....I am a runner too, but am in Ottawa. I have about 95 marathons to my name, as well as some Ultra marathons ( hence my username ). My average week is well over 60km, rain, snow or shine.

For us serious runners, "dreadmill" is not an option, you have to pound the asphalt in order to simualte race day feelin'. I am looking at a 100 miler race for the summer.

I run 2 days with the running room crew ( free runs, not clinics for newbies ), otherwise I just do my own thing rest of the week. You need sub zero thermal thights and lots of layers, gloves and balaclava for the Winter.

I was in Orlando Florida in January doing the Goofy Challenge, a half and full marathon weekend, but I threw the 5k on a Fri in for warm up