Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The rumour of jobs from September onwards?

The rumour of jobs from September onwards?

Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:01 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of
Default The rumour of jobs from September onwards?

Just some food for thougt... and comment.

I have now been told repeatedly that in Canada (or at least Toronto), the best times of the year to get jobs are September/October or perhaps January but that during other times during the year it is nearly hopeless to find work, as nobody is looking or hiring!!! Let's just exclude for the moment jobs such as working in a coffee shop, etc. which would probably be plentiful at any time of the year. Of course let's also exclude occupations under pressure.

Can anyone comment on this interesting statement? Or is it a load of you-know-what aimed at appeasing the unsuccessful job seeker and giving some blind hope?

For those who are still seeking jobs after weeks and months, I have also been told that it takes 6-7 months over here to find anything that is not "menial". Apparently there is hope at the end of the rainbow.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The rumour of jobs from September onwards?

Originally Posted by gotoronto
Just some food for thougt... and comment.

I have now been told repeatedly that in Canada (or at least Toronto), the best times of the year to get jobs are September/October or perhaps January but that during other times during the year it is nearly hopeless to find work, as nobody is looking or hiring!!! Let's just exclude for the moment jobs such as working in a coffee shop, etc. which would probably be plentiful at any time of the year. Of course let's also exclude occupations under pressure.

Can anyone comment on this interesting statement? Or is it a load of you-know-what aimed at appeasing the unsuccessful job seeker and giving some blind hope?

For those who are still seeking jobs after weeks and months, I have also been told that it takes 6-7 months over here to find anything that is not "menial". Apparently there is hope at the end of the rainbow.

From my experience, that information is such a broad brush stroke that it's virtually useless as advice goes.

The contract and permanent job I've gained here were awarded in August and July respectively.

The 6-7mth thing is meaningless, other than perhaps as an average. If you're in the right place with the right skills, then it can take way less time than that. Conversely, if you're picky, specialized, unskilled, it could take a great deal longer.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:20 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Way too many variables for it to be anything like accurate. I secured a job during August two months prior to arriving in Canada (had another offer come in a few days later as well). The industry I am in usually hires from February to March for seasonal staff and permanent is as required, due to expansion or someone leaving. Depends entirely on the industry.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:54 pm
especially the mint one

club_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really nice

I'm in toronto - and would agree with the west-coast posters above - it depends entirely on the industry re:time of year. I work in a senior management position at a medium-large company. Anything middle management and higher is unlikely to be filled in the summer when many of the senior management team are at cottages, taking holiday etc, but junior staff are hired throughout the summer.

The last two well-qualified people I hired for my team were hired in October of 2007 and June of this year. By in large I would agree that it can take a while to find suitable employment if you land in toronto without a job offer in hand - partly because of a somewhat unreasonable bias toward those with Canadian experience. But eventually you will be suitably employed (ie not underemployed). Just perservere and keep a thick skin.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:57 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a rumour of a samsquanch sighting.

Also word that the earth is flat.

And some monster up in Scotland somewhere.

All false I'm sorry to say.

Rumours schmumours.

Oh but Linsey Lohan is a lesbian, apparently.

R.