Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

RRSP/Retirement savings etc

RRSP/Retirement savings etc

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRSP/Retirement savings etc

Originally Posted by iaink
Once in the market for mutual funds keep an eye on management expense ratios that can eat into whatever gains the fund makes. A well managed fund may increase in value more than one that just follows the market, but the gains may be obliterated by the management expenses. I do get the feeling that a lot of professional advisers are often interested only in making a sale, so its worth spending some time figuring out how to judge these funds for yourself and assesing your objectives with respect to security, time scales and expectations. Ultimately its kind of a crap shoot anyway. Best to take a long term view on returns and try not to stress over short term market fluctuations.
Don't use mutual funds run by a bank, get an investment account and use ETFs instead, the fees are lower. Plus they're more liquid.

Does anyone actually use GICs in an RRSP? Wow. I was really scared to read that only 25% of earning people have an RRSP and to think some of them are only in crappy things like GICs is even more scary. Take something less liquid and make it almost completely illiquid and earn hardly any interest at the same time!

Given that the OP is American and presumably has some US dollars I would recommend US investments in an RRSP, TFSA doesn't makes sense as previously explained.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I was really scared to read that only 25% of earning people have an RRSP and to think some of them are only in crappy things like GICs is even more scary.
It's not that long ago that my UK pension fund managers lost about $10,000 in a year and charged me a few hundred dollars for doing so. Had they put the money in 'crappy' investments instead, I'd have been better off.

In fact, I think the free RRSP I get at work was worth less after three years than the amount they'd paid into it.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:54 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG

In fact, I think the free RRSP I get at work was worth less after three years than the amount they'd paid into it.
our investments took a dip for a while but have bounced back nicely now. Our advisor wrote to us when the market took a dip to explain what was going on and what she planned to do with our money.

It worked as far as I can tell.

As far as my work stuff goes , my company match my contributions, so i'd be stupid not to pay into it. Despite this there are many of my colleagues who don't
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
As far as my work stuff goes , my company match my contributions, so i'd be stupid not to pay into it. Despite this there are many of my colleagues who don't
If I had a company that matched, I'd certainly pay something into it too, no reason to let that match money go to waste.

Had I been smart when I was at the airline, I'd have opened a 401k and took advantage of the companies dollar for dollar match (they matched dollar for dollar up to 4,000 a year I think it was.)

But being 19 when I started, and being the wage they paid was 6.94/hr, I never thought I had the money to do so, but I should have found a way.

Originally Posted by Steve_
Given that the OP is American and presumably has some US dollars I would recommend US investments in an RRSP, TFSA doesn't makes sense as previously explained.
I have no investments or savings in the US, and nothing in USD.

At times I forget I am even from the US...lol.. But then the IRS reminds me...
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 6:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is a role for interest producing assets in a TFSA. Interest is taxed at a higher rate than either dividends or capital gains so it makes sense to have the fixed income part of your portfolio in a tax-sheltered environment.

If this is also your emergency fund you need to keep it liquid. ING is currently offering a whole 1.4% on accessible TFSA deposits. This is roughly 2.3% outside a TFSA.