Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Roast potatoes

Roast potatoes

Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roast potatoes

Originally Posted by KAT16
I haven't had a problem roasting ANY potatoes since I started saving the bacon fat and using that to cook the potatoes. Just have to make sure the fat is sizzling before you put the potatoes in. Oh and I don't par boil them either anymore.
That would be lard then.

Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KAT16
I haven't had a problem roasting ANY potatoes since I started saving the bacon fat and using that to cook the potatoes.
Originally Posted by Siouxie
That would be lard then.
So, there's something good about fatty, streaky bacon here then.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 10:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That would be lard then.

Tee hee
Old Nov 12th 2013, 10:58 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

No-one has addressed the question of melting ziplock bags. I've never heard of putting them in the oven. How does that work? How do you turn the spuds over for even browning every 20 mins or so?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Roast potatoes

Many years ago, when visiting UK I went to Winchester and went to a very good restaurant on a Sunday and asked for a roast beef dinner. The roast potatoes were very good ( the Yorkshire Puds were terrible). I asked to s peak to the chef about how he cooked the 'roast potatoes'.

He told me that they were not really roasted What he did was parboiled them, then dried them off , then deep fried them ( as in chips),. When they were golden brown he would put them in the oven to finish them off and become 'roasted potatoes'
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

They are yummy gussied up by sprinkling flour mixed with grated parmesan over them.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
No-one has addressed the question of melting ziplock bags. I've never heard of putting them in the oven. How does that work? How do you turn the spuds over for even browning every 20 mins or so?
I imagine that's because it was taken for granted that the ziplock bag was a means to coat the spuds in the oil and wasn't really included in the actual roasting process.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I imagine that's because it was taken for granted that the ziplock bag was a means to coat the spuds in the oil and wasn't really included in the actual roasting process.
But the ziplock bag then has to go in the bin making you personally responsible for glocal warming. What I do is to splash the oil/lard/whatever into a bowl, fling in some herbal potion and toss the spuds theatrically. This does the trick so long as one is aware of the risk of splattering some shiny surface.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Turtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond repute

Whites, par-boiled for 10 minutes then fluffed, and then into hot canola oil for 40 minutes at 400. I don't turn them. Nobody's complained yet.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:51 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by dbd33
But the ziplock bag then has to go in the bin making you personally responsible for glocal warming. What I do is to splash the oil/lard/whatever into a bowl, fling in some herbal potion and toss the spuds theatrically. This does the trick so long as one is aware of the risk of splattering some shiny surface.
A theatrical flourish always helps with cooking, as does a smallish glass of white port and ice. Or a dry sherry, or a martini.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Par boil, drain ,put back in same pot with towel over and lid back on, towel picks up steam dries out faster, score spuds with a fork.....oven roast ...
Old Nov 16th 2013, 4:40 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Am i the only one who doesn't know what German butter is!?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 4:06 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Unsalted I suppose.

Plenty of other unsalted varieties though.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 6:43 pm
limey party pooper

Dripping.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

It is a variety of red skinned potatoes that are buttery tasting on the inside especially when roasted.

Ruby not a potato expert.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.