Reload this Page >

ROAD TRIP TO USA

ROAD TRIP TO USA

Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:24 pm
J2J
Forum Regular

J2J is on a distinguished road
Default ROAD TRIP TO USA

Hello I would just like to double check the documentation that is needed to drive into the US from Canada for a short vacation. I am a Canadian permanent resident with a British Passport. Is there anything else I need other than my Permanent Resident card and my British passport? I have heard and read conflicting stories on this and am a bit confused!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:56 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ROAD TRIP TO USA

Originally Posted by J2J
Hello I would just like to double check the documentation that is needed to drive into the US from Canada for a short vacation. I am a Canadian permanent resident with a British Passport. Is there anything else I need other than my Permanent Resident card and my British passport? I have heard and read conflicting stories on this and am a bit confused!
Going by road you are covered by Passport on way in and PR card on way back. When you get to the US border post they will take your British passport and direct you to park up, where they will take your car keys and direct you into an office. In the office, you will complete the I94 form (green form) and pay $6 for the privilege. Once you have your I94 (stapled) into the passport then you will be released.

On way back into Canada, at the Canadian border post they will ask for Passport and PR card. They will ask a few questions about items you are bringing back with you and will (probably) ask if you want them to remove and return the I94 form for you. Then you will be let on your way. If they are unsure about either your PR or your comments about what you are bringing back into canada, they will direct you to secondary inspection.

Flying is slightly different as you need a ESTA which is applied for online.....and enables the US to run some check on your personal information.

Notes:

1) The I94 is valid for 90 days and does not have to be surrendered if you are returning to the US within the 90 period....should speed up the border crossing
2) ESTA is valid for 2 years and you need one even if you are transiting through the US

Last edited by JB0591; Jun 24th 2012 at 11:59 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

If you are british passport, immigration will haul you in at border to get a Visa Waiver form, cost 6 american dollars, they do not take canadian debit card, so take either cash or credit card. Depending on what border you crossing could take 5 mins or 3 hrs.

It is good for 90 days, if you are not returning to US within that time, return it to the canadian officer at border when you return to Canada, we have to do this every 90 days until my husband gets his citizenship.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:14 am
J2J
Forum Regular

Thankyou to both of you for all the information. Oh Wow the 3 hour possibility sounds like a dreadful way to end a short vacation. We would be crossing at Niagara Falls!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

NF is worse place to cross in summer, don't go on weekend for heavens sake, last time we crossed it took 4 hrs to get visa waiver. The Queenston/Lewiston is the worse stay away from it. Cross at either Rainbow or Peace bridge, both will be busy but wait not as long, and go as early as you can, or very late.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

We crossed today at Rainbow Bridge, going into USA getting green card all in all 25 minutes. They did not take car keys though.
Returning took about 40 minutes.
We were there just after 9am and returned about 2ish so not too bad, we have always been quite quick through.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J2J
Thankyou to both of you for all the information. Oh Wow the 3 hour possibility sounds like a dreadful way to end a short vacation. We would be crossing at Niagara Falls!
We have done this once a month, or more often, for the past year and a half. One trip in four involved getting a new I94. Only once was there a long, 90 minute, delay. If you can do avoid it, don't go on a Friday night especially not the Friday of a long weekend.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madscots
They did not take car keys though.
Never seen this, in hundreds of crossings, but I don't see that it'd be a problem. They have your passport, you're not likely to want to drive off without it.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:43 am
J2J
Forum Regular

Mmmmm now I am wondering what will happen on the Canadian part of our vacation. We are planning on visiting Gananoque Ontario. We are planning on taking the 1000 Island Boat Tour, which leaves from Ontario and stops At Bolt Castle USA (passports required) then returns back to Ontario (5 hr boat tour) How do you think that would work for a Canadian PM with a British Passport???
(Bolt Castle is on an island on US water)

Last edited by J2J; Jun 25th 2012 at 12:52 am.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by J2J
Mmmmm now I am wondering what will happen on the Canadian part of our vacation. We are planning on visiting Gananoque Ontario. We are planning on taking the 1000 Island Boat Tour, which leaves from Ontario and stops At Bolt Castle USA (passports required) then returns back to Ontario (5 hr boat tour) How do you think that would work for a Canadian PM with a British Passport???
We've done that. Sad to say, or perhaps not, it was so unremarkable that I don't remember the details. One point is that the US officials aren't concerned with your PR status, to them you're British, the PR card only matters to the Canadians when you come back.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:00 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by J2J

Not been there myself but there will doubt be a US border officer at the island and you will probably be met by Canadian officers when you return.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:26 am
J2J
Forum Regular

Thanks again everyone for all the info Maybe we'll take a miss on the Bolt Island and stick with the 3 hr cruise around the islands that doesnt require a passport just for some R&R
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
Not been there myself but there will doubt be a US border officer at the island and you will probably be met by Canadian officers when you return.
We have been back and forth to the States many times, with status in Canada ranging from temporary work permit, to PR to Citizens. Never had a problem going either way at the border and have only met really nice border guards. One even let myself and two sons in without paying the $6 because there was a lineup at the desk for credit card payments and he didn't have change for the $100 note I had. Another one held us for 30 minutes because he was a WWII fanatic and wanted to hear all about my parents experiences in England growing up during the war. All you need is passport (for US side) and proof of status in Canada for the return.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
NF is worse place to cross in summer, don't go on weekend for heavens sake, last time we crossed it took 4 hrs to get visa waiver. The Queenston/Lewiston is the worse stay away from it. Cross at either Rainbow or Peace bridge, both will be busy but wait not as long, and go as early as you can, or very late.
Well,you should be crossing in Piegeon River,then. I am always the only customer there.Any time of night or day.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One point is that the US officials aren't concerned with your PR status, to them you're British, the PR card only matters to the Canadians when you come back.
This isn't accurate, CBP might want to see what status you have in Canada to determine that you have non-immigrant intent. In fact they're supposed to check, although I was only ever asked twice, once at the airport, once at a land border. I think mainly because they would see my visa in my passport so they weren't fussed to see the card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.