Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Road Trip - Idaho/Montana

Road Trip - Idaho/Montana

Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Road Trip - Idaho/Montana

Originally Posted by ann m
I did a search - honest !

I know a few of you have headed south over the border from BC and Alberta for mini holidays ...

Anyone got any comments of good places to go/stay (or alternatively places to avoid) ?

We were thinking a rough route might be

From Banff-ish, head south onto Highway 93/95 down through to Kimberley and south over the US border (looks like the crossing point is called Eastport - any comments?)

- then keep heading south towards Coeur d"Alene (lots of lakes on map - anything worth a look-see?)

- take Highway 90 eastwards (via white-water rafting trip) towards some other road junction (!)

- then either head north-east-ish to Kalispell and across eastbound - then north again

- or go further over towards Great Falls and then head north again

- thinking of then heading back north over the border via Waterton Parks and Head-Smashed-in-Buffalo-Jump - and home.

Somewhere in this area is a road that several people have previously mentioned - The Sun / Golden Sun / Rising Sun (I know there is the word Sun in there somewhere!). Where is that exactly? Is it Highway 2?

Any comments / advice / suggestions gratefully received folks. Bear in mind I have two girls aged 9 and 11 - thanks
I would miss out the Great Falls bit and stay over by Waterton. Don't get me wrong, GF is ok for a quick (5 hour drive + 2 hours at border) shopping weekend, but not worth incorporating into a summer holiday. Im sure there's nicer places. Have fun and let us know how the trip went.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:50 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so I'm thinking the Concensus is DONT go to Great Falls.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hello Ann,
Jason's Dad and Brother have just done this trip, they stayed at the www.outlawhotel.com in Kalispell and said it was really good value for money. They booked the hotel online and got a $28 discount, I think it was approx $60 per night and has a pool for the kids. They stayed in loads of budget hotels but found this the best by far.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
Hello Ann,
Jason's Dad and Brother have just done this trip, they stayed at the www.outlawhotel.com in Kalispell and said it was really good value for money. They booked the hotel online and got a $28 discount, I think it was approx $60 per night and has a pool for the kids. They stayed in loads of budget hotels but found this the best by far.
Couple more budget hotels in Kalispell that we would go back to Hampton Inn and La Quinta - preferred Hampton Inn. If your not on a budget then Hidden Moose Lodge in Whitefish is as they say AWSOME If you like mexican then the Los Corporales chain is pretty good - just don't order starters
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OK, so I'm thinking the Concensus is DONT go to Great Falls.
Looks like it !

Thanks again everyone for your comments - a few more things to look up and places to stop off