Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Riskin' it all!

Riskin' it all!

Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:39 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default Riskin' it all!

Hi guys, I thought I would pop on and let you know about a very important decision my husband and I have made. We are thinking of selling our house after Christmas and thought why not chance it and use some of the equity from our home to go and live in Canada for a few months under a visitors VISA. Whilst we’re there we’ll have a hunt around for work. If it works out, great but if it doesn’t, at least we have gotten a nice long holiday and we will return to the UK and look for work here. We figured we have nothing to lose. The house is worth quite a lot now and if some of the money can be used to try to fulfil our dream of a life in Canada, it’s now or never! Plus our son is still at an age where he adapts to life changes quite easily. Wish us luck!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riskin' it all!

Good luck with that.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Well good luck, just be prepared for anything that might be thrown at you. With my departure date getting nearer, the prospect of leaving is becoming more real by the minute and the nerves have really set in. I mow realise that saying goodbye is not as easy as I thought it would be. Also, go to the dentist now and make sure you have no problems, I am now looking at a nice bill when I get there (wisdom tooth is now causing problems).
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Riskin' it all!

Originally Posted by engineer80
Hi guys, I thought I would pop on and let you know about a very important decision my husband and I have made. We are thinking of selling our house after Christmas and thought why not chance it and use some of the equity from our home to go and live in Canada for a few months under a visitors VISA. Whilst we’re there we’ll have a hunt around for work. If it works out, great but if it doesn’t, at least we have gotten a nice long holiday and we will return to the UK and look for work here. We figured we have nothing to lose. The house is worth quite a lot now and if some of the money can be used to try to fulfil our dream of a life in Canada, it’s now or never! Plus our son is still at an age where he adapts to life changes quite easily. Wish us luck!
Good Luck - nothing ventured nothing gained Hope all goes well for you
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

rschatha is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Luck, and all the best for your adventure, hope it all works out for you
guys.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll need more than luck. Have a nice holiday though.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:20 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiba
Good Luck - nothing ventured nothing gained Hope all goes well for you
Precisely! Plus hubby is a restaurant manager and we have hardly spent any time together these past few years so it is the perfect opportunity to have some quality time as a family away from it all, though I have no doubt our adventure will be hard work for 99.9% of the time. Weplan on hitting Nova Scotia first so hopefully you will be out there already by then and we could all finally meet!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Good for you guys.....Sounds like great time together and it will certainly be fun!!!

Not sure of your other posts...Have you applied for any immigration status for Canada? Would it be worth your while to do so before you leave?

Good luck with the adventure!!
Lisa
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Where in Scotland are you from?

Not sure about work in Nova Scotia.

Lots of work in Alberta for Civil Engineers though.

Good Luck and have fun
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:53 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you - hope it works out.

Just a word of warning, even if you get job offers the likelyhood of getting a work permit processed in only a few months is pretty low. So be prepared to fund a longer stay or return to the UK for a while.....
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined

sunyjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Nova Scotia is fab!

Have a look at the Community Identified Stream. Might be worth meeting up with someone from the RDA when you over there. Nova Scotia is definitely looking for immigrants.

Getting work, an LMO etc. can take a few months but if you prepared to put in the hard work you could probably do it! We did. What type of work are you looking for?
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:13 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Bonkers
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:52 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Bonkers
That's not very encouraging now is it!?

Good Luck, I say! And a Happy New Year!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:05 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

our son is still at an age where he adapts to life changes quite easily.
How old is your son? If he is of school age had are you planning to pay for schooling? Provincial medical won't cover you and if you demonstrate plans to stay in Canada, travel insurance may not either.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:45 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
That's not very encouraging now is it!?

Good Luck, I say! And a Happy New Year!
Encourage someone to risk it all? Not me.

If they can do it without selling their home and using the equity as funds that would be different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.