Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Riskin' it all!

Riskin' it all!

Old Dec 12th 2009, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riskin' it all!

Originally Posted by engineer80
Hi guys, I thought I would pop on and let you know about a very important decision my husband and I have made. We are thinking of selling our house after Christmas and thought why not chance it and use some of the equity from our home to go and live in Canada for a few months under a visitors VISA. Whilst we’re there we’ll have a hunt around for work. If it works out, great but if it doesn’t, at least we have gotten a nice long holiday and we will return to the UK and look for work here. We figured we have nothing to lose. The house is worth quite a lot now and if some of the money can be used to try to fulfil our dream of a life in Canada, it’s now or never! Plus our son is still at an age where he adapts to life changes quite easily. Wish us luck!
Engineer80,

Well I think if you look at your plan as an adventure and a long holiday, and if you get work then great, however dont come over to Canada and expect to get work, as at present it is VERY tough particualry in the manufacturing industry - which I assume you are in? I am am an engineering draughtsman and have been here in Canada for over 6months, have applied for numerous jobs with barely an acknowledgement let alone an interview and possible job!

I havent had the money to do anything here at present its been just an existence, infact i have done more in 2 week holidays here than what I have done in 6months of living here. This was due to changes in my personal circumstances not long after moving here, if Id have known what I do now, I would have saved a lot more money before moving here, but thats my situation. However youre not going to be in that situation - look at as a long holiday, and providing you have enough money to fund your planned lifestyle including renting a house funding a car and other plans etc then go for it. All I am saying is dont rely on getting work, I suppose the one thing on your side is that your stepping off the property ladder at the right time - I assume property prices in the UK are still dropping or staying low, so you havent got a lot to lose there, but also as Aviator says, look into some form of medical insurance for your stay.

I think you are very brave, but also have the right outlook in your approach to this move, in that your treating as a once in a life time long holiday, and the money you spend may turn out to be an investment, but equally may just be spent as if it were a long holiday and will get no return on it. If you expect nothing you wont be dissapointed, but will have lots of memories and an experience that some would say money cant buy but in your case it can!

Good luck!! oh and if you do get work - can you put a word in for me! LOL

All the best

Paul
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:20 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Bonkers
Well I am erring more in agreement with this post than the good luck statements. Although I did smile at 'good luck with that'
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:26 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppit
Thank you - sooooo excited and really looking forward to Christmas in Canada.

Hope you don't have to wait too long now.

Poppit
Bring your snow shovel and dont forget to buy some boots that protect you down to -40c seriously be ready for the winter storms those Nor'easters that hit the maritimes throughout Jan and Feb can be a bit of a bugger.

But we still love them after 4 years. we picked NB over NS because of all the rain NS gets compared to NB (we get it as snow )
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:04 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Well I am erring more in agreement with this post than the good luck statements. Although I did smile at 'good luck with that'
I rather think the OP is travelling more in hope than expectation .... they've already stated they can afford the trip if it turns out to be one big adventure that comes to naught ..... It's their lives and their money after all .... why not wish them luck!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:37 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
I rather think the OP is travelling more in hope than expectation .... they've already stated they can afford the trip if it turns out to be one big adventure that comes to naught ..... It's their lives and their money after all .... why not wish them luck!
True.

Good luck and enjoy the holiday, Canada is a great place
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

hey engineer80 ..and if you come out as far West as Manitoba.. stop by who knows what kinda job is at that time available here. You wish you a great time exploring!

Check out parklandimmigration.ca ..or google riding mountain national park.. just for the heck of it .. and if interested, to see where I am hanging out.

cheers Ilse
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but thats just stupid.

Sell posesssions and take out a loan but dont sell the house, not until your paper works sorted.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:44 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
I would have if they hadn't called the thread 'risking it all'. It's too much of a risk and Canada isn't worth risking it all for.

If they had called the thread 'frittering it all away on an adventure cos you're only young once and we can easily make some more dosh' then fine. Good luck, have fun.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I would have if they hadn't called the thread 'risking it all'. It's too much of a risk and Canada isn't worth risking it all for.

If they had called the thread 'frittering it all away on an adventure cos you're only young once and we can easily make some more dosh' then fine. Good luck, have fun.
Im sure they have done their sums and know what their limit is on what they can spend if nothing permanent comes from the "adventure", ie by saying they may just treat it as one long holiday, if nothing turns up, and having the financial reserves to return to their old life after the allocated cash has been spent. Im sure they wouldnt give up everthing on a whim and see themselves out on the street! Some people may see it as frittering money, others may see it as spending some of their house equity on an adventure? depends how you see life I suppose?

I think the thread title could have been just a bit of dramatic terminology. Thats just my take on it.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Dec 15th 2009 at 8:20 am.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Im sure they have done their sums and know what their limit is on what they can spend if nothing permanent comes from the "adventure", ie by saying they may just treat it as one long holiday, if nothing turns up, and having the financial reserves to return to their old life after the allocated cash has been spent. Im sure they wouldnt give up everthing on a whim and see themselves out on the street! Some people may see it as frittering money, others may see it as spending some of their house equity on an adventure? depends how you see life I suppose?

I think the thread title could have been just a bit of dramatic terminology. Thats just my take on it.

Paul
Looking for work is not really compatible with holidaying. IMO. Have a 6/12 vacation, they can spend their money on what they want but living in Canada is noot worth risking it all.

However if the OP wants to be a drama queen and call it risking it all when it isn't, well frankly I don't give a toss about them.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:14 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Engineer80,

Good luck!! oh and if you do get work - can you put a word in for me! LOL

All the best

Paul
If I find something of course I'll put in a good word for you! Same goes for you

And, yes, the title was to add a bit of a dramatic effect to the post, not to imply we are going to squander all £50000 or so we will make on this house to spend a month or so on Canada. I doubt we could spend all of that in 6-8 weeks. At least I hope not otherwise we wouldn't even consider it!

Last edited by engineer80; Dec 15th 2009 at 6:23 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by engineer80
If I find something of course I'll put in a good word for you! Same goes for you

And, yes, the title was to add a bit of a dramatic effect to the post, not to imply we are going to squander all £50000 or so we will make on this house to spend a month or so on Canada. I doubt we could spend all of that in 6-8 weeks. At least I hope not otherwise we wouldn't even consider it!
Ah, a 6-8 week visit, not months.

Can you get unpaid leave from work and at least have a job to go back too?

$86,000 at todays exchange rate. Where will you live, have you looked at the cost of health insurance as a visitor, including repatriation if needed? Car hire, gas, food, and some fun too??