Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous offer on house

Ridiculous offer on house

Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ridiculous offer on house

These buyers "found out" that we are emigrating and my husband has already gone.
Made an offer of £50,000 less than asking price. I have already reduced it by £20,000 so that makes it £70,000 less than the valuation in January.
Told them no. I will leave it for sale if necessary but talk about taking the pxxx. I am not unreasonable and have expected to knock some more off but I am really annoyed by the cheek of this couple.
I wish I knew who had told them my cicumstances but sometimes this is such a small town
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ridiculous offer on house

Originally Posted by albertabound
These buyers "found out" that we are emigrating and my husband has already gone.
Made an offer of £50,000 less than asking price. I have already reduced it by £20,000 so that makes it £70,000 less than the valuation in January.
Told them no. I will leave it for sale if necessary but talk about taking the pxxx. I am not unreasonable and have expected to knock some more off but I am really annoyed by the cheek of this couple.
I wish I knew who had told them my cicumstances but sometimes this is such a small town
It's an inevitable ploy here in the real world, given your known circumstances. Had I been the potential buyer, I too would have tried to use the situation to my advantage. Most potential buyers would too if they were honest...

I wish you well with your sale but I fear you will get more of the same....
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take it personally! Just don't get panicked into selling.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies guys, they did let slip to me that they want my area and there is only 1 more house of the same style for sale at the moment.
That seller is in la la land though. He is asking £40,000 more than we are for same house.
I will wait and see what happens. We do have a safety net. If we cant sell, then I have a relative that would love it but cant afford what we want. If I go ridiculous then I am afraid it will be for her only.
Tina
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

It may also mean they overvalued it in the first place.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

mr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud of

hearing that pee's me right off.

you did the right thing...stick to your guns.

good luck
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Adeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really nice

that it ridiculous, if you are desperate to get out to be with hubby, could you not rent for a while?

If not sit put and wait it out! the options arent great and not even worth thinkiing about. Good Luck.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:58 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

While this is disturbing for you, do you not think you would try/do the same if the positions were reversed? You may claim you would not but I'm sure you would.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:59 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You can't blame the buyers for trying.....My Mum once put a ridiculous offer on a house - the couple were getting divorced and accepted the offer, so sometimes it works. I do however hope that the buyers in your case re-evalue and offer you closer to the asking price.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

you are not obliged to sell at their 1st offer, have you countered?

a house is worth less to the buyer than the seller for the most part.

If you dont get what t\you need for it, why not rent it out for a bit and then try again in a few years when the markets settled?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
While this is disturbing for you, do you not think you would try/do the same if the positions were reversed? You may claim you would not but I'm sure you would.
I understand what you are saying and yes I would go in with a lower offer than asking price but that much lower would honestly not have entered my head.
I would like a fair price. I am not greedy and I am realistic given the current climate
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:24 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you are saying and yes I would go in with a lower offer than asking price but that much lower would honestly not have entered my head.
I would like a fair price. I am not greedy and I am realistic given the current climate
Its a buyers market

Nobody in their right mind would think of offering the fair price to start with
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

When I bought my house in NZ in July 2007 it was a divorce sale where the tender had just fallen through. I put in an offer that was $3k under what the winning tending had been and got it.

I probably could have gone for more but didn't want to screw them too badly - it was already $20k under the valuation.

Of course, now, I'm very happy that I bought that far under the valuation because that difference has now been wiped out in the housing market collapse.

To the op: They tried it on and you didn't go for it - their loss. You could always suggest to your agent that the buyers try again with a more sensible offer.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:31 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Business is business.

Suck it up and try negotiating.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Once again cheers guys for your replies. I am gonna wait a while. As I said previously, if I cant sell then my young cousin can have it at the much reduced price.
Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.