Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Returning to Toronto- tax question.

Returning to Toronto- tax question.

Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future
Default Returning to Toronto- tax question.

Hi all,

Need some quick responses regards this issue.

Having Permanent Resident Status in Canada i travelled to Toronto in March 09 intending to find work, the long and short of it was that I came back after a short time there.

I had posted a tax question when i was there asking what happens regards completing a tax return as I had not worked and had therefor not earned any money and is there any tax issues regards my house back in Scotland which I still have and have never rented out.

JohnboyE was helpfull at that time indicating that when returning to Scotland I need not do anything.

Well i feel now I will go back to Toronto and give it a proper chance. Again i would like to ask a similar tax question.

I'm not thinking about what happens if I go over there and work and then after a while decide to come back for good, however if that were the case are there any problems i might come across regarding tax returns after having already been out there the previous year and having not filled out a tax return and would there be any tax issue regarding my house in Scotland that I am still paying a mortgage on and don't intend to rent out as of yet?

I look forward to your replies as I intend to get ready to go soon.

Thanks all.

Gary..
Old Jul 13th 2010, 5:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Toronto- tax question.

It is a question of tax residency. Last year you didn't settle in Canada and didn't stay long enough to be a deemed resident. You didn't earn anything and so owed no tax. Therefore 2009 has no bearing on your current situation - so don't worry about it.

If you come back to Canada in 2010 and start work you become tax resident in Canada from the day you arrive. If you subsequently decide it is not for you you must file tax returns for any years that you are here and owe taxes. I strongly advise filing tax returns even if you don't owe taxes. As for your house in Scotland, there are no Canadian tax implications if you don't rent it out and don't sell it whilst you are in Canada. If you stay in Canada for 5 years or more there may be a taxable capital gain or loss when you leave, but no need to worry about this yet.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future

JonboyE, thanks for the reply.

That sounds pretty straight forward.

When you say that you strongly recommend filing a tax return even if you don't owe and taxes, should I have done this the first time that I was over?

If in 2010 I earn cash and owe taxes will the tax forms ask when I arrived in Canada? If i'm indicating I was also in Canada in 2009 will I need to prove the dates etc.

Thanks JonboyE
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garymc
When you say that you strongly recommend filing a tax return even if you don't owe and taxes, should I have done this the first time that I was over?
No, you were not tax resident in Canada in 2009.

If in 2010 I earn cash and owe taxes will the tax forms ask when I arrived in Canada? If i'm indicating I was also in Canada in 2009 will I need to prove the dates etc.
The form asks for the date you became resident in Canada. This will be in 2010. No need to mention anything about 2009.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

jonboyE, thanks for your help.

Gary.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi Again,

I forgot to mention, when I was over in 2009 i did get my SIN card, and opened a bank account that I closed 3 weeks later.

Not sure if that makes any difference.

Cheers, finally.

Gary
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

No difference.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Much Appreciated

Gary