Reload this Page >

Returning to Canada

Returning to Canada

Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Ang5050 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to Canada

Hi,
This is my first post so apologies in advance if I have gone wrong somewhere!
My husband was born in Toronto and left with his Scottish parents when he was just 5, over 50 years ago to return to the UK. For various reasons we have steadily grown towards the idea of relocating, we are both retired, and have holidayed in Canada the past three years. Our son has also lived in Canada for a couple of years, tho is currently in the UK. We love Nova Scotia. We dont need to work having both retired, are self sufficient financially and also like a fairly quiet , but comortable life where we can join in with, and support a community, but dont feel the need to be hugely involved with everything. We like wine and good food, and basically quite a simple life! We plan to holiday again this spring with a view to trying to get an idea of where in NS we could consider would be a good place to start. We think we would look to rent somewhere for six months or so rather than buying straight away.
Any thoughts and advce would be so gratefully recieved, as it all is so much still a dream, and knowing where and how to start out is so difficult!\Many thanks.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

What are you after help/advice with, do you have any specific questions?

I'm sure the forum members will be happy to try and help if so.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to move over and are intending to live in Canada permanently (and you are not a Canadian Citizen or don't already have Permanent Residency status) then perhaps your first step would be for your husband to sponsor you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

Old Feb 16th 2013, 3:04 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a lot of Canadians are also choosing to move to Nova Scotia and P.E.I. For retirement, there was a big article on it in The St. John Journal Telegraph the other day. I think you might enjoy the food, fantastic fish and seafood and good quality meats and vegetables. You might be somewhat underwhelmed by the wine.

What is it particularly that you might need help with? People are most helpful on here generally, and there are quite a number of posters on here around that region that would advise. Best of luck.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Ang5050 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies everyone! I reaslised that I dont actually know what I need help with,, which you'll probably think is fairly stupid of me! I think we are just about past the "Is it a good idea"stage, and are now looking around for the 'right" place.... The paperwork side is fairly well documented I think, tho when we get to it I will doubtless be messaging again!
So, we have decided to take a holiday in NS in a few weeks, after visiting briefly last year, and get to know the place a little better. Also while we are there make contact with various letting agencies etc etc. We realise tho that we have to manage the difference between looking at somewhere with holiday eyes and looking with realistic eyes!
Thanks again
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so as you seem to be ok with the paperwork side of things, I'll move this to the main Canada forum - any visa related queries should be posted in this part of the forum (immigration), but any general lifestyle type stuff should be put in the main forum, where you'll get more responses.

So I'll move it over there. If you've got any specific questions about NS then do put them on here as we have a lot of forum members in that province who will be happy to help I'm sure.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:26 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, but have you considered Vancouver Island? Very temperate weather here and lots of retirees (spelling?). Bit of a long way from UK is the only thing!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ang5050
Hi,
This is my first post so apologies in advance if I have gone wrong somewhere!
My husband was born in Toronto and left with his Scottish parents when he was just 5, over 50 years ago to return to the UK. For various reasons we have steadily grown towards the idea of relocating, we are both retired, and have holidayed in Canada the past three years. Our son has also lived in Canada for a couple of years, tho is currently in the UK. We love Nova Scotia. We dont need to work having both retired, are self sufficient financially and also like a fairly quiet , but comortable life where we can join in with, and support a community, but dont feel the need to be hugely involved with everything. We like wine and good food, and basically quite a simple life! We plan to holiday again this spring with a view to trying to get an idea of where in NS we could consider would be a good place to start. We think we would look to rent somewhere for six months or so rather than buying straight away.
Any thoughts and advce would be so gratefully recieved, as it all is so much still a dream, and knowing where and how to start out is so difficult!\Many thanks.
the first place that comes to my mind when reading your "wish list" would be the area around Wolfville in the Annapolis Valley. I would definitely recommend a visit there.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
the first place that comes to my mind when reading your "wish list" would be the area around Wolfville in the Annapolis Valley. I would definitely recommend a visit there.
Oh yes, it's lovely around there...

I live in Yarmouth. There is a large retired community and lots of things to do. Quite a few expats , without them being everywhere like in larger towns...
If you want any info about this area, just shout.
Oh btw, this is probably the cheapest area for housing- or not far off...