Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Return to Canada without PR's

Return to Canada without PR's

Old May 18th 2011, 6:10 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Return to Canada without PR's

We landed in February (back in the UK at the moment) and had to have our pictures taken again for the PR's so don't have them yet - they are being sent to a friends house in Canada.

My sonnies going back in early June for 4 weeks. Will he have any problems getting in without the PR card? Someone told me you can get a temporary visa in the passport. Is that true and will there be a cost and how long do they take?
Old May 18th 2011, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Return to Canada without PR's

I recently entered Canada without my PR card. I had left it at home. I explained when entering Canada via Vancouver airport. I was sent to see an immigration offer who asked me a few questions did a back ground check. 30mins later I was allowed entrance to Canada.

Not ideal but was not a major ordeal.
Old May 18th 2011, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

When you landed you should have been given the counterfoil from your COPR. I was told by the immigration lady in Halifax that this would be fine for coming back into the country before the PR cards arrive.
Old May 18th 2011, 2:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

With a british passport and the COPR paper it shouldnt be a problem.

Getting on the plane is the main hurdle, rather than passing canadian immigration.

Maybe its me, but I seem to answer this question every single day...
Old May 18th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said, it should not be a problem entering canada without your PR card (as long as you have met the residency requirements). Occasionally you might have a problem boarding the plane. It all depends on which airline you are flying with and who you get on the day. The vast majority of people do not have a problem. but if you do, be extremely polite and patient.

If you want to remove the possibility of any problems, get travel documents. If you are going to be near a visa office. Download the form and take all the required paperwork and do it in person. There is a cost (30 pounds) and it could take 2 visits to sort it out.

check http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ande_tvrp.aspx for more information on travel documents for the london office.

Last edited by britsnake; May 18th 2011 at 3:49 pm.
Old May 18th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Canadian Affair (at least when you fly from Manchester) seem to be pretty strict about it... I've done it twice without my PR card and they made me sweat but still eventually let me on the plane.

Just bring all the 'proof' you have I reckon you will be ok (but dont quote me on this)

If you are really stressing, then you can get the travel visa as mentioned above. I called them and they issue it same day but you need to get there before 11am mon-fri.
Old May 18th 2011, 4:39 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
With a british passport and the COPR paper it shouldnt be a problem.

Getting on the plane is the main hurdle, rather than passing canadian immigration.

Maybe its me, but I seem to answer this question every single day...
one might think that some kind of central place where such questions are answered may ba in order....

hmmm .. what could we call it ? not a sticky , they are at the top of the threads already

sticky ..... tricky ......
I know , how about a WIKI ???
Old May 18th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

There is an article in the wiki about this very thing.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

As has been said you can get travel documents the same day, but prepare yourself for a long wait as they can get very busy.

Double check all your paperwork as you do not want to have to come back.
Old May 18th 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

If going to London is going to cost time and money, then another option would be to buy a return ticket that will never be used then they wont even ask him for his PR card as he just looks like any other Brit visiting Canada.

Canadian affair sell tickets for cheap but they are non-refundable... maybe some other airlines allow refunds?

This was gonna be my plan of action as I am flying to England next week but my card expired. Luckily, my replacement arrived on Monday so I am ok now.

In some cases, such as mine, the return ticket would have been much easier and not much more expensive than going to London to get the visa!
Old May 18th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also if you are not close to London you can apply for travel documents by post.

It would probably take only a couple of weeks to come through. I would check on timescales before doing this, but if it was going to be a couple of months before you returned to Canada, then the cost of postage plus the cost of the document itself would be less than buying a return ticket.

But I stress that most people do not have a problem, and if you don't mind taking a risk just turn up at the airport, chances are they will let you fly.
Old May 18th 2011, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britsnake
Also if you are not close to London you can apply for travel documents by post.

It would probably take only a couple of weeks to come through. I would check on timescales before doing this, but if it was going to be a couple of months before you returned to Canada, then the cost of postage plus the cost of the document itself would be less than buying a return ticket.

But I stress that most people do not have a problem, and if you don't mind taking a risk just turn up at the airport, chances are they will let you fly.
Searched this, and other forums extensively when i was in the same boat and i dont think i have come across a case where someone was actually refused entry... seems they like to give you a hard time but then let you through.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:38 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I actually did a quick search but never icame across an answer - sorry

Thanks anyway
Old May 18th 2011, 7:46 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

I would suggest you read Section 11 from the Port of Entry Manual

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

This section covers examining permanent residents at ports of entry.

11.2. Verifying permanent resident status
The permanent resident card is the only valid proof of permanent resident status in Canada.

The following documents are satisfactory indicators of permanent residence:
• the original Record of Landing:
• a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters;
• a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters verifying permanent residence;
• a passport duly stamped showing the date on which permanent residence was granted, if the
person was granted permanent resident status before 1973; and
• a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document [IMM 5292B].

11.3. Establishing permanent resident status without documents

BSOs at ports of entry have the discretion to authorize the entry of permanent residents, even in the absence of documentation. If documentary evidence is not available, the BSO at Immigration
Secondary must establish the person’s permanent resident status through questioning and checking the person’s status in FOSS. The status of persons who became permanent residents before 1973 has to be verified by contacting the Query Response Centre at National
Headquarters at: [email protected].

Once a BSO is satisfied that a person is a permanent resident, the examination should be concluded and the person should be allowed to enter Canada without delay.

If I was in your shoes I would printout the front page and the relevant pages and take it with me.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JB0591
I would suggest you read Section 11 from the Port of Entry Manual

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

This section covers examining permanent residents at ports of entry.

11.2. Verifying permanent resident status
The permanent resident card is the only valid proof of permanent resident status in Canada.

The following documents are satisfactory indicators of permanent residence:
• the original Record of Landing:
• a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters;
• a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters verifying permanent residence;
• a passport duly stamped showing the date on which permanent residence was granted, if the
person was granted permanent resident status before 1973; and
• a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document [IMM 5292B].

11.3. Establishing permanent resident status without documents

BSOs at ports of entry have the discretion to authorize the entry of permanent residents, even in the absence of documentation. If documentary evidence is not available, the BSO at Immigration
Secondary must establish the person’s permanent resident status through questioning and checking the person’s status in FOSS. The status of persons who became permanent residents before 1973 has to be verified by contacting the Query Response Centre at National
Headquarters at: [email protected].

Once a BSO is satisfied that a person is a permanent resident, the examination should be concluded and the person should be allowed to enter Canada without delay.

If I was in your shoes I would printout the front page and the relevant pages and take it with me.
Great info, but its not at the port of entry where he will have trouble! Its boarding the plane!
Old May 19th 2011, 12:16 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

That is why knowing the rules that the Canadians use can help when it comes to a less informed airline checkin person.....or worst case a Servisair person.

When we took our one-way flight with Canadian Affair/Air Transat from Gatwick we did not get asked anything by the airline. But I do appreicate that some people have been.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.