Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Residential Zoning

Residential Zoning

Old Sep 25th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Residential Zoning

I wonder if anyone can help me with a small query on residential zoning. If a property is zoned for residential use ie R1 or R2 what are the rules regarding what you can and cannot do on that lot? The reason I ask is that the chap who lives behind me haas demolished a house and appears to be planning to run a business (bobcat and excavation) In the process of splitting the lot in two there is a concrete foundation which is for a building and a high fence about to be completed - around 10 feet high. Normally I'm a live-and-let-live kinda person but he's just painted the steelwork for the fence and my brand new car is covered in paint spray and I've just spent hours listening to metal grinding. Wouldn't be quite so bad but I work shifts. Anyone help with what you can and cannot do within a completely residential street (I realise that each province will be slightly different but generally thay will be roughly similar)?
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: Residential Zoning

Originally Posted by Smokey
I wonder if anyone can help me with a small query on residential zoning. If a property is zoned for residential use ie R1 or R2 what are the rules regarding what you can and cannot do on that lot? The reason I ask is that the chap who lives behind me haas demolished a house and appears to be planning to run a business (bobcat and excavation) In the process of splitting the lot in two there is a concrete foundation which is for a building and a high fence about to be completed - around 10 feet high. Normally I'm a live-and-let-live kinda person but he's just painted the steelwork for the fence and my brand new car is covered in paint spray and I've just spent hours listening to metal grinding. Wouldn't be quite so bad but I work shifts. Anyone help with what you can and cannot do within a completely residential street (I realise that each province will be slightly different but generally thay will be roughly similar)?
From what I know of zoning, each town has it`s own code numbers plus it`s own set of do`s and don`ts.
So you will have to clarify with the Town/City of Swft Current.
We (for the reasons you site) chose to live outside a town`s or city`s limits.
We are in a "municipality" and puts our first level of government at Provincial level.
So creating an environment where by, as long as it is not a criminal act, neighbours can deal with issues themselves.
So if some guy plays us up, I open a pig farm next to his BBQ or hot-tub.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:20 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I took a chance on your location being as you have in your name and avatar.

Here is a link to the PDF document on the Zoning Bylaw for Swift Current. Pages 67 through 76 list the uses for R1 and R2.

Also one for the City of Swift Current website. Hopefully one of those two will give you your answer.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Sep 26th 2005 at 12:25 am.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hangman
I took a chance on your location being as you have in your name and avatar.

Here is a link to the PDF document on the Zoning Bylaw for Swift Current. Pages 67 through 76 list the uses for R1 and R2.

Also one for the City of Swift Current website. Hopefully one of those two will give you your answer.

Cheers
Steve
Guys, thanks SO SO much for your help. Steve, it surprises me that given everything else is part of a 'big secret' here that you don't find out until after the fact it just didn't occur to me to look on the city site. Thanks for taking the trouble to find it . Trip down to city hall once I've read it methinks!

ps....who in their right mind would lie about living somewhere like Swift Current??? you'd have to be learning impared
Old Sep 26th 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, thanks SO SO much for your help. Steve, it surprises me that given everything else is part of a 'big secret' here that you don't find out until after the fact it just didn't occur to me to look on the city site. Thanks for taking the trouble to find it . Trip down to city hall once I've read it methinks!

ps....who in their right mind would lie about living somewhere like Swift Current??? you'd have to be learning impared
Regardless of whether or not he is allowed to do it, surely the damge that he has caused to your car is going to cause him big problems????? Buying you a new car shouln't help his finances, with a bit of luck he won't be able to finish the project after the lawyers have finished with him.

God luck, I hate selfish ar@#oles like that.