Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Resident of Vancouver

Resident of Vancouver

Old Mar 18th 2017, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

ElsiePol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resident of Vancouver

I am a UK citizen and also a resident of Canada/Vancouver paying tax in country of residency. I own a property in the UK, but do not rent out the property, so I'm not earning an income from it. Question: do I have to pay tax on this in Canada?
Old Mar 18th 2017, 3:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident of Vancouver

Originally Posted by ElsiePol
I am a UK citizen and also a resident of Canada/Vancouver paying tax in country of residency. I own a property in the UK, but do not rent out the property, so I'm not earning an income from it. Question: do I have to pay tax on this in Canada?
You may have a capital gain if you sell it. Otherwise, no.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElsiePol
You will need to comply with the question "You owned foreign property with a total cost over CD$100,000." on T1135 of your tax filing.
It doesn't mean you pay any taxes but you need to make that declaration.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 3:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You only have to declare specified foreign property on the T1135. Personal use property, which seems to be what the OP is describing, is excluded from specified property.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You only have to declare specified foreign property on the T1135. Personal use property, which seems to be what the OP is describing, is excluded from specified property.
This link provides the rules for reporting Foreign ownedpropert valued over CDN$100,000.
What property do you have to report?
You are required to report all Specified Foreign Property in accordance with subsection 233.3(1) of the Act which includes:

funds or intangible property (patents, copyrights, etc.) situated, deposited or held outside Canada;
tangible property situated outside of Canada;
a share of the capital stock of a non-resident corporation held by the taxpayer or by an agent on behalf of the taxpayer;
an interest in a non-resident trust that was acquired for consideration, other than an interest in a non-resident trust that is a foreign affiliate for the purposes of section 233.4;
an interest in a partnership that holds a Specified Foreign Property unless the partnership is required to file a T1135;
an interest in, or right with respect to, an entity that is a non-resident;
a property that is convertible into, exchangeable for, or confers a right to acquire a property that is Specified Foreign Property;
a debt owed by a non-resident, including government and corporate bonds, debentures, mortgages, and notes receivable;
an interest in a foreign insurance policy;
precious metals, gold certificates, and futures contracts held outside Canada.

Specified foreign property does not include:
a property used or held exclusively in carrying on an active business;
a share of the capital stock or indebtedness of a foreign affiliate;
an interest in a trust described in paragraph (a) or (b) of the definition of 'exempt trust' in subsection 233.2(1);
personal-use property as defined in section 54;
right to acquire, any of the above-noted excluded foreign property.