Reload this Page >

Requesting letters of recommendation from UK companies

Requesting letters of recommendation from UK companies

Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Requesting letters of recommendation from UK companies

Hey all,

In the process of requesting letters of recommendations to help with opening accounts when we get over to Canada.

They have all came back stating they would gladly give me a letter of reference at a cost of 10.00 GBP a pop! Plus they want the address and or fax number of the company requesting this.

I just want a letter from my bank for the attention of no company stating I have had an account for x years and ran the account within conditions etc. I have also requested this with our utility company and they have came back with the same crap!

Have I asked for the wrong thing? Is a Letter of recommendation the same as Letter of reference?

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited by iananddave; Jul 17th 2008 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Re: Requesting letters of recommendation from UK companies

One of our banks charged us the £10, the other - nothing. The mortgage reference was £25 I think - but we still paid it. Would rather have the letters with UK credit history details than nothing at all.

The worst one was the doctors surgery. They wanted £25 each to copy our notes and a 'per page' photo copy charge - I went nuts! There are 5 of us and the youngest was under a year. We could have been looking at nearer £180 for our own records. They finally agreed that this was a little unreasonable, but even so, I still ended up paying around £60.

I think you are asking for the right thing - we asked the same of our banks and insurers too, how long we'd been with them, payments on time etc etc etc. Some charge, some don't.

Last edited by Nicola N-A; Jul 17th 2008 at 4:35 pm. Reason: muppet at spelling
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iananddave
Hey all,

In the process of requesting letters of recommendations to help with opening accounts when we get over to Canada.

They have all came back stating they would gladly give me a letter of reference at a cost of 10.00 GBP a pop! Plus they want the address and or fax number of the company requesting this.

I just want a letter from my bank for the attention of no company stating I have had an account for x years and ran the account within conditions etc. I have also requested this with our utility company and they have came back the the same crap!

Have I asked for the wrong thing? Is a Letter of recommendation the same as Letter of reference?

Cheers,

Ian
Seriously you don't need to have all that.
Get your Equifax reports which will show your good account management/credit worthiness and in a way understood here in Canada as Equifax is here in Canada too.

Bring your letters of no claims (not no claims bonus) for auto insurance.
As for opening accounts, we had no problem with Banks accounts, unsecured credit cards, mortgage, line of credit, utilities, renting an apartment and cell phone contracts. Did not have to pay a deposit for anything.

I will be very happy to recommend my insurance broker and my bankers.
Feel free to pm me with any questions you may have and any details you need.

Rob
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:03 pm
Around and around...

Spirael will become famous soon enoughSpirael will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
One of our banks charged us the £10, the other - nothing. The mortgage reference was £25 I think - but we still paid it. Would rather have the letters with UK credit history details than nothing at all.

The worst one was the doctors surgery. They wanted £25 each to copy our notes and a 'per page' photo copy charge - I went nuts! There are 5 of us and the youngest was under a year. We could have been looking at nearer £180 for our own records. They finally agreed that this was a little unreasonable, but even so, I still ended up paying around £60.

I think you are asking for the right thing - we asked the same of our banks and insurers too, how long we'd been with them, payments on time etc etc etc. Some charge, some don't.
Isn't £25 a breach of the data protection act? I'm pretty sure the maximum anyone is allowed to charge to provide you with your personal data that they're holding on their systems is £10.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:55 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spirael
Isn't £25 a breach of the data protection act? I'm pretty sure the maximum anyone is allowed to charge to provide you with your personal data that they're holding on their systems is £10.
Only those records held on computer. For youngsters' medical records I would expect this to be pretty much everything but perhaps not for the adults. We were offered our basic computer-held record for GBP10 then copies of the detailed paper records for an additional photocopying fee (up to a maximum charge per person of GBP60 I think) if required. We have a British trained GP here in Canada so the years of scrawl and abbreviations may have meant something to him but we hadn't bothered with the photocopied extras. He did actually look through the computer printouts we gave him though.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:05 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

We came with none of that. Never had any need of it, we just seem to pick up where we left off in the UK with utilities and banking. No deposits for utils, got credit cards right away and a line of credit if we needed it.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

My Ontario utility specifically stated (credit check or) letter of reference from other Canadian utility, so I guess a foreign one wouldn't have helped you here anyway. Worth getting if it's free, but maybe not if it's a tenner a time.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:11 pm
especially the mint one

club_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really nice

just wanted to chime in to make sure you didn't get the wrong idea from the good fortune of a few members - it looks like you're coming to Toronto and if you're planning on renting here you would be well advised to get the credit report and employer letter (offer of employment) if you want one to live in a high-demand place. There are landlords that might take you without these things, but I'm sure there are also properties that you wouldn't want to live in. A good credit report and proof you can pay the rent will go a long way! good luck!