Reload this Page >

Repeat prescriptions in Canada

Repeat prescriptions in Canada

Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

pazjohn84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Repeat prescriptions in Canada

Hi there,

I was just wondering how you order repeat prescriptions in Canada.
I'm moving there in January and I currently take medication for epilepsy.
I only take it as a precautionary measure as I have very mild epilepsy.
I have only had 1 seizure in the last 6 years. I have been passed fit by my doctor to travel and it has not been an issue with BUNAC.

Is it free like the UK? (I currently hold a medical exemption card) or do I have to pay per prescription? If so, what's the process and how much is it?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repeat prescriptions in Canada

It is up to the prescribing doctor to decide how many repeat prescriptions you can have without seeing them again. They mark this on the prescription form. The pharmacy usually enter this in their computer system so you can order the repeats by phone.

Drugs are not free in Canada. You pay every time. How much depends on the cost of the drug. Stores like Costco and Walmart have the lowest prescription service charge but if it is an expensive drug the $2-$3 difference may not seem that significant.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to pay and claim it back off your medical insurer if you have coverage for pre-existing conditions.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:51 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

My doctor gives me a prescription for a year's supply but the pharmacy will only give me three months at a time. They hold the prescription on file and I go in every three months for more. I have Blue Cross health cover through my husband's employment which covers the bulk of the cost so only pay $3 each visit to the pharmacy.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheThornes
My doctor gives me a prescription for a year's supply but the pharmacy will only give me three months at a time. They hold the prescription on file and I go in every three months for more. I have Blue Cross health cover through my husband's employment which covers the bulk of the cost so only pay $3 each visit to the pharmacy.
Blue Cross is the reason why you only get three months at a time. They wont pay for any more than that.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pazjohn84
Hi there,

I was just wondering how you order repeat prescriptions in Canada.
I'm moving there in January and I currently take medication for epilepsy.
I only take it as a precautionary measure as I have very mild epilepsy.
I have only had 1 seizure in the last 6 years. I have been passed fit by my doctor to travel and it has not been an issue with BUNAC.

Is it free like the UK? (I currently hold a medical exemption card) or do I have to pay per prescription? If so, what's the process and how much is it?
FWIW My son also has a mild form of Epilepsy and when we lived in Toronto he was taking tegretol we had to pay the full cost for his medication as we had no addition coverage through work (no free prescriptions even for kids) it was roughly £70 for 3 months supply.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
FWIW My son also has a mild form of Epilepsy and when we lived in Toronto he was taking tegretol we had to pay the full cost for his medication as we had no addition coverage through work (no free prescriptions even for kids) it was roughly £70 for 3 months supply.
The point with this thread though is on Bunac they don't qualify for provincial coverage or I guess extended through any job. Bunac WP holder have to carry travel insurance and reclaim expenses or get the insurer billed directly.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Blue Cross is the reason why you only get three months at a time. They wont pay for any more than that.
These things might vary. In NB, whether paying in full or under a plan, we've never been allowed more than three month's worth of any drug.

Some drugs have been restricted by our doc to monthly and others every two months. Those that he has not restricted, three months has been the maximum the pharmacy can issue.

Some drugs appear to be limited to a month even if the doc has recorded no restriction.

Some years ago (still?) I understand the Quebec scheme would limit the dispensing of all drugs to one month unless going away temporarily.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

OK - so repeat prescriptions (Mr Chookie also has epilepsy - he takes 2 different drugs to control his seizures).

You will need to find a Dr to issue the prescription, and preferably a neurologist - once that is in place, you take your prescription to the pharmacy and hand it in - it will have a certain number of refills on it.

Each time you go to get more of the pills, you will use up one of your refills... once those are all gone, you need to get a new prescription from your Dr/Neurologist. The same pharmacy will hold your prescription on file for you and you can just go and ask for a refill of it...

Prescriptions are not free - at least they are not in Alberta - MrChookie has part of his paid for by his work health insurance and he has to pay part of it as well. If you have no health coverage via work, you either need to find some health insurance company to cover you (blue cross etc) or pay for the entire cost yourself. Depending on what drugs you need, the cost could be minimal or could be exorbitant (one of mr Chookies drugs costs literally cents for each pill, the other costs HUGE amounts!)
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Chookie
OK - so repeat prescriptions (Mr Chookie also has epilepsy - he takes 2 different drugs to control his seizures).

You will need to find a Dr to issue the prescription, and preferably a neurologist - once that is in place, you take your prescription to the pharmacy and hand it in - it will have a certain number of refills on it.

Each time you go to get more of the pills, you will use up one of your refills... once those are all gone, you need to get a new prescription from your Dr/Neurologist. The same pharmacy will hold your prescription on file for you and you can just go and ask for a refill of it...

Prescriptions are not free - at least they are not in Alberta - MrChookie has part of his paid for by his work health insurance and he has to pay part of it as well. If you have no health coverage via work, you either need to find some health insurance company to cover you (blue cross etc) or pay for the entire cost yourself. Depending on what drugs you need, the cost could be minimal or could be exorbitant (one of mr Chookies drugs costs literally cents for each pill, the other costs HUGE amounts!)
The OP is on Bunac, so I believe the only insurance would be travel insurance as thery would not be eligible for provincial coverage and then it depends on whether the policy covers pre existing conditions. The OP would also have to pay for any medical services to get medications. If I were them I would strongly suggest they talk to their insurer and get clarification. My understanding from our insurers with excluded conditions is if anything occurs as a result of pre existing conditions this would not be covered. If a seizure occurs and an injury results, that injury may not be covered if pre existing are excluded. You may b fine, but before traveling to Canada, I suggest checking it out with your insurance company so you don't potentially get landed with a huge bill way beyond the cost of the pills. There are some insurers that cover pre existing.

Do you know if the medication you are taking is available in Canada?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
The OP is on Bunac, so I believe the only insurance would be travel insurance as thery would not be eligible for provincial coverage and then it depends on whether the policy covers pre existing conditions. The OP would also have to pay for any medical services to get medications. If I were them I would strongly suggest they talk to their insurer and get clarification. My understanding from our insurers with excluded conditions is if anything occurs as a result of pre existing conditions this would not be covered. If a seizure occurs and an injury results, that injury may not be covered if pre existing are excluded. You may b fine, but before traveling to Canada, I suggest checking it out with your insurance company so you don't potentially get landed with a huge bill way beyond the cost of the pills. There are some insurers that cover pre existing.

Do you know if the medication you are taking is available in Canada?
Hmm one idea... if the OP is Bunac and presumably only here for 1 year - would their regular GP in the UK be prepared to write a prescription for a years supply of their drugs so they can take them over with them (don't know if the GP could even do that? or if they would have a prob taking that amount into Canada - heck don't know what they need to take... IF what they need is cheap enough, they could pay for a prescription and pay for the drugs - as I said, one of Mr Chookies literally costs cents if he goes for the generic one...)

As for if they had a siezure and it being a pre-existing condition and covered by any insurance - the OP did state that seizures were really rare - from what I can read into that, the condition is well controlled - 1 siezure in the last 6 years probably means they even have a driving license (as it is 2 years siezure free normally), so if they continue taking their drugs it is really unlikely that they would have any problems...
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:45 am

Hmm one idea... if the OP is Bunac and presumably only here for 1 year - would their regular GP in the UK be prepared to write a prescription for a years supply of their drugs so they can take them over with them (don't know if the GP could even do that? or if they would have a prob taking that amount into Canada - heck don't know what they need to take... IF what they need is cheap enough, they could pay for a prescription and pay for the drugs - as I said, one of Mr Chookies literally costs cents if he goes for the generic one...)

As for if they had a siezure and it being a pre-existing condition and covered by any insurance - the OP did state that seizures were really rare - from what I can read into that, the condition is well controlled - 1 siezure in the last 6 years probably means they even have a driving license (as it is 2 years siezure free normally), so if they continue taking their drugs it is really unlikely that they would have any problems...
I have no idea, which is why checking with the insurer would be sensible in my view. Often with pre exisitng, at least with ours I believe if a condition has been stable for 90 days or more they are OK with it. However we still have to tell them of any conditions. Never can be too careful.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

One is only allowed to bring a maximum of 3 months worth of drugs into Canada
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work for a GP in the Uk and the most they would prescribe for would be 3 months on the very rare and I mean rare occasion they did 6 months but not more than than
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

D Buck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I used to work for a GP in the Uk and the most they would prescribe for would be 3 months on the very rare and I mean rare occasion they did 6 months but not more than than
My wife will be trying to get 6 months+ worth of the pill for when we move over next month.
She is going to her doctor and explaining we are travelling for a year.

I'll report back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.