Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting in Vancouver

Renting in Vancouver

Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of
Default Renting in Vancouver

Been in Metro Vancouver for 6 weeks now - staying with various family members!

Wondering if anyone could recommend a good area to rent - its me, my hubby and 2 year old. Hubby has been offered a job in New West, but could have a possible job offer in the North Shore area too...

Not sure whats the best way to go about renting - craigslist etc - so any advice would be much appreciated!

And if anyone knows of any good rentals around then please PM me...

Thanks as always...
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Renting in Vancouver

in my experience, if you are there already, just walk around the neighbourhoods you think you'd like to live in and take down all the numbers form outside the places with 'to let' signs. i lived in the west end and when i when i finally get back there it will be between there and kits.
the rent is high in these areas but if you like being out and about in parks, beach etc then it is well worth it if your wages alllow it!!

hope this helps
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A combination of craigslist and driving/walking around looking for rentals works best.

Apartments are easier since they are easy to spot and have signs out front with phone numbers.

Houses/Condos owned by individuals can be a little tricker but thats where craigslist works.

My current place I found on craigslist, would have never found it otherwise.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:34 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goodpikey
in my experience, if you are there already, just walk around the neighbourhoods you think you'd like to live in and take down all the numbers form outside the places with 'to let' signs. i lived in the west end and when i when i finally get back there it will be between there and kits.
the rent is high in these areas but if you like being out and about in parks, beach etc then it is well worth it if your wages alllow it!!

hope this helps
Yep just the side walk. I live in Kits and its not much more higher than other areas of the city (unless you mean the east side or other areas of metro vancouver). You can find a decent one bed for around 1200, even a bit less.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dboy
Yep just the side walk. I live in Kits and its not much more higher than other areas of the city (unless you mean the east side or other areas of metro vancouver). You can find a decent one bed for around 1200, even a bit less.
yep sorry, i should have clarified. my comparison was for burnaby, new west and beyond. i pleyed rugby and worked in burnaby so made the journey on the sky train every day. my rent was 1275 for a one bedroom on the 14th flloor looking towards the north shore and stanley park. the view alone was worth the rent!!

happy hunting
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:56 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goodpikey
yep sorry, i should have clarified. my comparison was for burnaby, new west and beyond. i pleyed rugby and worked in burnaby so made the journey on the sky train every day. my rent was 1275 for a one bedroom on the 14th flloor looking towards the north shore and stanley park. the view alone was worth the rent!!

happy hunting
Yep I've always said a north facing view is the best. I have never paid over 1100 renting in vancouver for the last 3 years or so. You would certainly pay extra for the view.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:34 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_connors76

Wondering if anyone could recommend a good area to rent - its me, my hubby and 2 year old. Hubby has been offered a job in New West, but could have a possible job offer in the North Shore area too...

Not sure whats the best way to go about renting - craigslist etc - so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks as always...
What type of property are you looking to rent (apartment/townhouse/or detached single family home) and what's your budget?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:38 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by the_connors76

Thanks as always...
Hi,

the main source for rentals is craigslist or the papers. Local papers are certainly worth checking out.

We are on the north shore and in Lower Lonsdale a 2 bed apartment will go for $1800 in one of the newer tower blocks down there. You can pay less for older ones and ones in less convenient locations. North shore is a great place to be based in my entirely unbiased opinion

I also do see a few signs around on houses in various areas - so driving or walking around in an area you like is worth doing, but can be hit and miss.

I have some general information and links that may help too:
http://www.relocation2bc.com/rentals/renting.htm

Good luck.

Warmly,

Frank