Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting a house share in Vancouver

Renting a house share in Vancouver

Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:14 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting a house share in Vancouver

I'm slightly confused with what I have been researching on craigslist and Kijiji.

Been doing a rough look at what accommodation is available in Vancouver and the surroundings for myself when I come out so I know where and what I am looking for.

I am single so a room in a house share is fine, I will initially be looking for accommodation without employment so I do this will probably factor into who will be prepared to let me stay and who will not.

I've had a look at the wiki article on the areas in and around Vancouver and would prefer to be near a sky train station and some bus routes as I don't know if or how long until I get a car.

However, I have noticed a lot of the room that are being advertised (especially downtown where it is much more expensive) are 'room shares' which means you share your room with someone else. This is normal for students and alien to me as I've never come across this. Obviously I don't want a room share, I want my own and just share bathroom, kitchen etc.

My questions are:

1. what are the usual other words on accommodation adverts which shows it is a 'room share' as the adverts don't always make it clear. (Yes I know I can ring them and find out) but I want to dismiss these ones straight away?

2. What is the minimum that I am looking for my own room in a shared house at if I look at staying downtown?

3. I have wondered about paying a little more for a smaller room in a condo so I can use the gym facilities (providing they have them) rather than paying a gym membership (which appears to be anything from $60 -$80 a month) would this be worth it or not?

4. Finally can anyone recommend a particular area away from downtown that would be cheaper, still be in an area with amenities like supermarket, coffee shop, gym, some bars but also near sky train?

Thank you
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a house share in Vancouver

Are you sure it is actually shared room's your viewing on Craigslist.
The Canadian/American term for housemate/houseshare is roommate. It doesn't mean your sharing a room just the house.

Craigslist is the place to find a shared house in Vancouver or you could look up the IEC/BUNAC facebook page, there's some on there too.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A room-mate / shared room is the same as a flatmate / shared flat in the UK.

You could also look at www.padmapper.com

I just found this one which might be of interest to you.

http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?ty...95579&src=main
"I'm looking for a room mate to share my spacious 2 bedroom apartment close to VGH and Broadway-City Hall Canada line station and West Broadway bus routes.

My current room mates are moving back home to the UK at the end of the month so the place will be available February 1st."
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:18 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'll check pad mapper out - cheers

Some of the house I have found have stated 'you will be sharing the room with someone else' I'm wondering if these are for the international students. There was one in coal harbour for $500 a month which said 'this is a shared room, you will be sharing with someone else. you cannot get a private room for this money downtown' maybe true but still...no way!

That room looked good.
Roughly my price range so it looks like it is possible.

I know there are a lot of scams in Craiglist so I'll just have to be careful

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jan 14th 2014 at 9:33 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Many students especially international ones do share rooms, and its not uncommon for a 1 bedroom apartment to have a few people in the bedrooms, and a couple sharing the living room, for some its the only way they can afford housing in Vancouver.

Also look for basement suites, sometimes you can find one in a house that is a bachelor suite (no real bedroom) that you have to yourself for the same cost as having a roommate.

I paid 450 when I had a bachelor suite in a basement in Vancouver, the owners of the house lived upstairs, and they converted the basement into 2 bachelor suites so no need to share with anyone.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:36 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Also look for basement suites, sometimes you can find one in a house that is a bachelor suite (no real bedroom) that you have to yourself for the same cost as having a roommate.

I paid 450 when I had a bachelor suite in a basement in Vancouver, the owners of the house lived upstairs, and they converted the basement into 2 bachelor suites so no need to share with anyone.
Thanks I'll take a look. I'm guessing these are the same as studio flats/apartments that you get in the UK (everything open plan and in one room)?