Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting homes in Saskatoon

Renting homes in Saskatoon

Old Feb 26th 2004, 7:31 am
Just Joined

geoffro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting homes in Saskatoon

Has anyone got any information on Saskatoon please. Got a job offer for a company there doing truck driving. Need any info any can give. Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Hiya - I placed some pointers in your other post!!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you crazydaisy. I now have to look at Saskatoon as well cos the job could be in Regina or Saskatoon.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

billyinscotland is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by geoffro
Thank you crazydaisy. I now have to look at Saskatoon as well cos the job could be in Regina or Saskatoon.
Hi there, i recall seeing an agency advert for Truck driving jobs in Saskatchewan, just wondering if it`s what you applied for. I remember looking at their website and thought it was strange that they mentioned PNP yet Saskatchewan didn`t have Truck driver on their high demand list.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Billiyinscotland
Have checked this company out with the Better Business Bureau of Saskatchewan and they are all above board. Apparently the Canadians like local haulage rather than the long haulage and thats why they are recruiting here. The jobs advertised are for long haul (anything from 3 -10 days out at a time).
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Billiyinscotland
Have checked this company out with the Better Business Bureau of Saskatchewan and they are all above board. Apparently the Canadians like local haulage rather than the long haulage and thats why they are recruiting here. The jobs advertised are for long haul (anything from 3 -10 days out at a time).
Hi Geoffro, thanks for the info, i was interested because i have a job offer for long-haul in neighboring Manitoba. Long story short, i have Provincial nomination and application through London is at the stage of having completed medicals. I would guess that you will be hauling to the States when you get there, you never know, our paths may cross ;-)
Good luck with everything, if you have any questions i can help with, fire away. Here`s a link to a good Trucking site, it has the drivers hours and log-book regs just incase you haven`t come across it.
http://www.tdrc.ca/
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Hi Billyinscotland
When are you expecting to go? Have you got everything sorted ready to go? Are you taking family with you? I am a bit worried I might not get in yet. Still going through the process of sending references and forms to the company. Checked out the website you recommended, would be so much easier if they used tacos like us wouldn't it.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi Billyinscotland
When are you expecting to go?

Hi Geoffro, i`m hoping for May sometime.

Have you got everything sorted ready to go? Are you taking family with you

I`m pretty much ready to go, i was out in Winnipeg a few times last year and got a feel for the place, as well as getting to know my future employer. I have a wife and 15 y.o. daughter.

? I am a bit worried I might not get in yet. Still going through the process of sending references and forms to the company.

Are you applying through an agency or straight to employer? i had some dealings with HRDC in the past, and i found them to be very awkward, in the end i gave up and went for PNP, totally different experience.

Checked out the website you recommended, would be so much easier if they used tacos like us wouldn't it.

My Dad remembers using a log book years ago, but before my time,lol
I`ve been on trucks for 20 years now and will find it strange to re-sit the test in Canada, been years since i drove an old Eaton g/box with no syncro-mesh;-)
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Hi Billyinscotland

I am using an agency, if all goes well they will arrange visas and accommodation(if I want them to). But still trying to get all the paperwork sent to them. I've never been to Saskatchewan so have done loads of research. If I get the job I will be going within 6 months. Been driving trucks 10 years so know what you mean.

Last edited by geoffro; Feb 27th 2004 at 4:58 am.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi Billyinscotland

`I've never been to Saskatchewan so have done loads of research.`

Hi Geoffro, I drove from Calgary to Manitoba twice last year, i can tell you not to worry too much about practising hill starts for the test in Saskatchewan ;-)
Or as a farmer told me `you can watch your dog run away for three days`
It is seriously flat and driving the Trans-Canada through it gets pretty boring.

If I get the job I will be going within 6 months. Been driving trucks 10 years so know what you mean.
I had two job offers signed and sealed, both with a shortage of drivers they couldn`t fill, both times HRDC dragged their feet for months. The company i`m going to work for in Winnipeg applied to HRDC with proof of a massive shortage of long haul drivers and the details of my PNP acceptance, long haul is on the Manitoba high demand job list, they still dragged things out, so much so that we gave up on it and at least now they wont have any say in my case. This is just my experience of HRDC, i hope you sail through, the agency may be able to streamline things and get you a work permit. I wish you well.........billy
Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Hi Billy
Thanks for getting back to me. Don't know if you saw it but the job I applied for was in Truck and Driver mag, agency called ESI Recruitment. They have quoted me average income between $40,000 and $75,000 depending on miles covered, does this sound realistic based on your experience with companies over there. If all goes well they are doing interviews here in March.

Last edited by geoffro; Feb 27th 2004 at 5:54 am.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi Billy
Thanks for getting back to me. Don't know if you saw it but the job I applied for was in Truck and Driver mag, agency called ESI Recruitment. They have quoted me average income between $40,000 and $75,000 depending on miles covered, does this sound realistic based on your experience with companies over there. If all goes well they are doing interviews here in March.
Hi Geoffro, They actually advertised in the newspapers up here. The average income looks pretty much in line with what i was being quoted, $75,000 maybe optimistic, but $50-$60,000 wouldn`t be unrealistic considering that you would be looking at in the region of 3,000 miles a week at 35-40 cents per mile plus drop bonuses etc. The new regs for running in the USA seem to be causing concern , but they are quite similar to what we have here, so maybe not too bad for us. Let me know how you are getting on with things....billy
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by billyinscotland
Hi Geoffro, They actually advertised in the newspapers up here. The average income looks pretty much in line with what i was being quoted, $75,000 maybe optimistic, but $50-$60,000 wouldn`t be unrealistic considering that you would be looking at in the region of 3,000 miles a week at 35-40 cents per mile plus drop bonuses etc. The new regs for running in the USA seem to be causing concern , but they are quite similar to what we have here, so maybe not too bad for us. Let me know how you are getting on with things....billy
hi billy,did the companys you dealt with give you any idea about time off after journeys,the agency im dealing with have not given any details about this, probably will in interview but generaly speaking if its a case of 7-10 on & 2 off & back up the road again i might pass it up,as my kids are 6&4 they(and my wife and i) would find it too much and before you know it BAM their all grown up and ive missed it,i dont mind doing nights away at all but its finding that balance isnt it,anyway billy ive got to go to bed,just got back from working night trunk, london-birmingham speak to soon, geoff
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

hi billy,did the companys you dealt with give you any idea about time off after journeys,the agency im dealing with have not given any details about this, probably will in interview but generaly speaking if its a case of 7-10 on & 2 off & back up the road again i might pass it up,as my kids are 6&4 they(and my wife and i) would find it too much and before you know it BAM their all grown up and ive missed it,i dont mind doing nights away at all but its finding that balance isnt it,anyway billy ive got to go to bed,just got back from working night trunk, london-birmingham speak to soon, geoff
Hi Geoff, i was down in London on Monday, what a horrible place to have to drive through ;-(
I went to see 3 or 4 different Trucking companies, getting a job offer wasn`t hard, but, most long haul is just that, way down through the States or right across Canada with no guarantee that you wont be back-loaded to somewhere just as far from home. First job offer i got was 3 weeks out and 2 days home on average. The company i took offer up with runs weekly to Texas with 7-8 day trip and 2 days off. It`s not ideal, but i reckon i`ll give it a year and see how we are settling. If you look at the job listings, things are much like here, distance work pays quite well, and local work is pretty poor(around $12 an hour) If you decide to look at PNP you may have to try Manitoba, as i dont think Truck driving is on the high demand list for Saskatchewan. I did the whole thing myself, it wasn`t so hard(touch wood, as we aren`t there yet), although looking at other posts we may have been lucky.If you need any help just ask...........billy.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally posted by billyinscotland

If you decide to look at PNP you may have to try Manitoba, as i dont think Truck driving is on the high demand list for Saskatchewan.
Hi Billy: Yeah - you're right - there's some strange rule that says the following:

Critical impact
An individual whose occupation is not on the SINP Designated Skill Shortage list but who, if hired, will create a significant economic impact for a Saskatchewan business. This could include technology transfer, creation of jobs, provision of training for other employees, or other positive benefits that will result from hiring this individual.

A bit of a loose meaning though - I suppose there has to be a good case!

We're off to Winnipeg in 3 weeks yippee - see u there maybe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.