Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rented hot water tanks?

Originally Posted by iaink
Here, Ill let someone else do it
http://www.bchydro.com/business/inve...tigate831.html
http://www.greenventure.ca/ecohouse/...1/printer.html
http://www.gotankless.com/
http://www.foreverhotwater.com/

I dont know that the microwave one is for sale yet, but its rather pompously called the "Vulcanus Mark 4"

Basically rather than have a tank full of hot water in the basement that sits there all day, getting reheated to keep it to temperature even if you arent using it, a tankless or "on demand" system heats the water only as you need it...no tank at all.

Natural Gas ones I think are the most efficient ones, I havent seen any oil fired ones. Tankless systems costs more to buy, but less to run, and they tend to last longer too as they are not under pressure all the time. My guess is that energy costs are going to continue to rise, making the extra cost of a tankless system easier to justify financially. It will cut your carbon footprint too if you are the sort that cares about that.
In addition to what Iain has said tankless systems apparently do have some drawbacks. These could be considered minor but none the less they are there.

Cost is a major factor $1500-$2000 installed versus a 40 US Gallon tank installed would cost in the neighborhood of $500-700.

Apparently you use more water with a tankless system as you have to let the water run longer in order to get hot water to the tap?

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/tankless.htm
http://www.energysolutionsalberta.co...?V_DOC_ID=1139

I think that next time I need a new tank (if that happens) I'll take a real serious look at tankless on demand systems.

Cheers
Steve
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Here, Ill let someone else do it
http://www.bchydro.com/business/inve...tigate831.html
http://www.greenventure.ca/ecohouse/...1/printer.html
http://www.gotankless.com/
http://www.foreverhotwater.com/

I dont know that the microwave one is for sale yet, but its rather pompously called the "Vulcanus Mark 4"

Basically rather than have a tank full of hot water in the basement that sits there all day, getting reheated to keep it to temperature even if you arent using it, a tankless or "on demand" system heats the water only as you need it...no tank at all.

Natural Gas ones I think are the most efficient ones, I havent seen any oil fired ones. Tankless systems costs more to buy, but less to run, and they tend to last longer too as they are not under pressure all the time. My guess is that energy costs are going to continue to rise, making the extra cost of a tankless system easier to justify financially. It will cut your carbon footprint too if you are the sort that cares about that.

The downside is that when it is heating its uses a lot more power / gas to keep up with the demand for water, a whole house electric heater might need some rewiring done to cope with the heavy power draw requirements.

What do you do when the power's out?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What do you do when the power's out?

Most of these are natural gas fueled. I guess the pilot ignition ones have an advantage over the electronic igniton ones when the power is out

Personally Im screwed when the power is out anyway as my water comes pumped fresh from the well. I would hazard a guess that you live without hot water for a short while till the power comes back on. The washer wont be running anyway.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:35 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

most of these are gas powered.

Pesonally Im screwed when the power is out anyway as my water comes pumped fresh from the well.
I thought you had a generator.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I thought you had a generator.
I do, but it only comes out during prolonged outages, which are thankfully few and far between.

I wouldnt try and run the washer off the generator anyway, although it can probably be done.

Frankly I just rather like the idea of being screwed while the power is out

Last edited by iaink; Feb 1st 2007 at 3:41 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I just like the idea of being screwed while the power is out
Hmmm, chance would be a fine thing.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:45 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I do, but it only comes out during prolonged outages, which are thankfully few and far between.

I wouldnt try and run the washer off the generator anyway, although it can probably be done.

Frankly I just rather like the idea of being screwed while the power is out
I have no idea why the washer would present any problem, it's the drier (if all electric) that would be a big problem. I only have a 2.8 kw generator and I can power both the washer and drier (propane) at the same time.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Iain and Steve.

On demand would be nice, I can't say I've missed it though but that's only because the bath here is tiny and unused, and for showers one of us gets up at 6am and the other lounges until long after the tank is refilled

One of the links says you can't run a dishwasher and take a shower at the same time with a basic tankless system, it can't keep up. You need the more advanced something or other for that?

My head hurts. Will read and digest later. Or look for a house with its own tank
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of these are natural gas fueled. I guess the pilot ignition ones have an advantage over the electronic igniton ones when the power is out

Personally Im screwed when the power is out anyway as my water comes pumped fresh from the well. I would hazard a guess that you live without hot water for a short while till the power comes back on. The washer wont be running anyway.
We too will soon depend on a well pump so I've been thinking of power supply issues. I suppose I could write off a humungous UPS but that seems a pretty silly option.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:50 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
On demand would be nice, I can't say I've missed it though but that's only because the bath here is tiny and unused, and for showers one of us gets up at 6am and the other lounges until long after the tank is refilled
I really do think Mr B should be getting up and helping.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
We too will soon depend on a well pump so I've been thinking of power supply issues. I suppose I could write off a humungous UPS but that seems a pretty silly option.
Wont work if your pump is 240V like mine anyway...
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:06 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Wont work if your pump is 240V like mine anyway...
You stud, you.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

denmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Will speak to realtor today. Some of the places I'm looking at have been up since July, I'm tempted to just add a "get rid of rented tank and put in a new one, please" condition. They're not really in a position to laugh at that in Windsor
Hey quit the jokes on Windsor Biiiink I'm trying to sell mine you know.
I'm forecasting this time in 2010 I might have a buyer
Seriously put whatever conditions you want I have told you people are desperate here.
By the way who is your realtor and have you decided to go for lakeshore.
Go tankless it's got to be more efficient.

Den
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

denmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
In all my life, I've never heard of renting a hot water tank... must be an Eastern thang ( poor suckers ).
Hey wasabi as the immigration officer said to me in toronto on landing with a snigger WELCOME TO ONTARIO we where suckerd
Den