Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rental cars-best price?

Rental cars-best price?

Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:55 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental cars-best price?

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Make sure you can take it out of province for unlimited km. They only gave us 200km a day for out of province use.
Just curious, how would they know where you were and what mileage was clocked up where? Reason I ask is I am planning a trip to Edmonton in November and need to hire a car myself rather than clocking up wear & tear on my own.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:05 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Just curious, how would they know where you were and what mileage was clocked up where? Reason I ask is I am planning a trip to Edmonton in November and need to hire a car myself rather than clocking up wear & tear on my own.
W & T is why we rented, did not want to put 6500km on my new truck.

I would guess the only way they are going to know is if you get a ticket or have an accident. The insurance could be a bit dodgy too if you mislead them. I for one would not want to drive in Canada with the possibility of void insurance, let alone in the US. If the insurance won't cover a claim, the renter is on the hook.

We used our ICBC Roadstar insurance instead of the expensive add on rental car insurance.

For travel within Canada we have had no problem getting unlimited mileage.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:12 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Or if they have a built-in tracking device - which wouldn't be surprising when you're letting someone borrow a vehicle worth tens of thousands of dollars with only a credit card as security.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:13 am

Oh, and don't forget that most gold/platinum credit cards come with free collision damage waiver insurance for car rentals.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:32 am
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Try carhire3000.com we found them pretty good.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
My girlfriend will no doubt want to go there but its not the main reason. We're meeting some of her family there and going to an NHL game, i think the calagry flames are playing one of the nights were there. A little trip to ikea would be nice too!
If you want an outlet mall, Albertville has some good shops and you'll pass it on the way
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:39 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Oh, and don't forget that most gold/platinum credit cards come with free collision damage waiver insurance for car rentals.
Yes, but the cards don't have the increased liability. In BC basic liability is $200,000, nowhere near enough for me. With Roadstar coverage we got the same as we have on our car insurance and no extra cost to us.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:08 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
If you want an outlet mall, Albertville has some good shops and you'll pass it on the way
Ahh thankyou, someone told me about this place but couldnt remember the name. Is it a good place to stay for hotels in Albertville? I dont mind staying out of downtown if the hotels are cheaper!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
Ahh thankyou, someone told me about this place but couldnt remember the name. Is it a good place to stay for hotels in Albertville? I dont mind staying out of downtown if the hotels are cheaper!
No, no hotels in Albertville - apart from the outlet mall it's a small semi-rural town.

We used to stay in Bloomington - close to MoA and Ikea. We would just take whichever 3star or above Priceline.com offered us. The Sheraton, and Embassy Suites were the usual ones, both were good.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Yes, but the cards don't have the increased liability. In BC basic liability is $200,000, nowhere near enough for me. With Roadstar coverage we got the same as we have on our car insurance and no extra cost to us.
Interesting. Guess I should look into that.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:40 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Just found something interesting, especially for those in Manitoba. Instead of paying the ridiculous insurance of $25 per/day @ budget, I can get rental car insurance from Autopac for $35 for five days!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz365
Try carhire3000.com we found them pretty good.
This outfit is great - just got 2 weeks from them for a really good deal "all in" and they use the big names to supply cars - got my rental from Alamo.
$41 a day including all insurance - that's the best I found.

Rob.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
This outfit is great - just got 2 weeks from them for a really good deal "all in" and they use the big names to supply cars - got my rental from Alamo.
$41 a day including all insurance - that's the best I found.

Rob.
Hi,

Has anyone had any problems with 'Dollar' rent a car. Ive been searching for ages for 2 weeks hire in Calgary. Dollar seems the best price so far with 180 pounds all in...

Top Cat
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Top Cat
Hi,

Has anyone had any problems with 'Dollar' rent a car. Ive been searching for ages for 2 weeks hire in Calgary. Dollar seems the best price so far with 180 pounds all in...

Top Cat
Never used Dollar, mostly use Budget in Canada (get a deal through Costco) or if going to the US use Avis (unlimited km within and out of Canada).
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Top Cat
Hi,

Top Cat
Wow, that's a good price, are you sure it's for a car?
I've used Dollar before and were happy enough with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.