British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Rental accomodation in toronto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/rental-accomodation-toronto-558171/)

littletwinkle46 Aug 29th 2008 1:31 pm

Rental accomodation in toronto

Im heading out on a bunac in Jan, hopefully with a job already set up.
How quickly do people find somewhere to live and where do you stay meantime, im thinking the backpackers hostel would be a possible start.
Also is it possible to get a rental agreement sorted before i arrive, if so how easy is that to arrange?
Wont be travelling around so a 6-23 term would be fine

any ideas/experiences much appreciated
Karen

YYZlover Aug 29th 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Rental accomodation in toronto

www.toronto.craigslist.com

Google is your friend.

So is the wiki.

:-)

lucieg Aug 29th 2008 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by littletwinkle46 (Post 6727677)
Im heading out on a bunac in Jan, hopefully with a job already set up.
How quickly do people find somewhere to live and where do you stay meantime, im thinking the backpackers hostel would be a possible start.
Also is it possible to get a rental agreement sorted before i arrive, if so how easy is that to arrange?
Wont be travelling around so a 6-23 term would be fine

any ideas/experiences much appreciated
Karen

Hi,

When I was out there a few years ago we found an apartment within a week...craigslist is definitely your friend plus the swap office will know of people wanting to share if you didn't want to get your own place.

I'd say it'd be pretty difficult organising somewhere before you go as often they want to see an employment letter and/or credit checks. Last time I had to prove I had enough money in my bank account to pay my rent for 6 months if I didn't get a job.

I stayed at the global backpackers for the first few nights...if I were you I'd avoid it, it's not as nice as some of the other places. Canadiana was much better.

Let me know if you have any other questions about TO...immigration stuff I can't do but this stuff I can :)

windward Aug 29th 2008 5:47 pm

Craigslist is the way forward.

Normally it's the bigger buildings that want serious credit checks/references from you, if someone's renting you their spare bedroom/floor they'll normally accept some post-dated cheques.

www.viewit.ca is another one to try if you're still struggling, if you want advice on areas etc. post away :)

bazzz Aug 29th 2008 5:50 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely not sign up for anything until you're there on the ground. There's pretty limited information you can get from internet postings and research.

littletwinkle46 Aug 29th 2008 5:53 pm

ok thanks everyone.
I have family who are now moving to brooklin, hence im having to find somewhere quicker,
any thoughts on commuting from there for a couple of weeks before i find something.
Ive looked at the transit website and it looks doable.

Karen