Reload this Page >

Renewing a UK passport

Renewing a UK passport

Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing a UK passport

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
What is your daughter's status in Canada?
she is British,on temp resident visa like us just don't want to send the old one with visa in and not get the visa back. They both expire March so need get passport sorted in plenty of time to get a new visa application in for her

thanks
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiganfem
she is British,on temp resident visa like us just don't want to send the old one with visa in and not get the visa back. They both expire March so need get passport sorted in plenty of time to get a new visa application in for her

thanks
Apply now. If there is any time left on the old passport, they add it on to the new passport (up to a maximum of 9 months additional time). Since your daughter's passport expires in less than 9 months, you should apply now so you have the new passport in hand in time to extend her temp resident visa. You will get her old passport back separately from the new passport.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they aways send back the old passport. The reason they come separately is that the new passport comes from the UK and the old one from Washington.

I am due to renew my passport as well, I would have done it earlier if I did not use it so frequently.

Washington were pretty good when I renewed my chidrens passport and even emailed us to let us know once it was being sent back to us.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britsnake
Yes, they aways send back the old passport. The reason they come separately is that the new passport comes from the UK and the old one from Washington.

I am due to renew my passport as well, I would have done it earlier if I did not use it so frequently.

Washington were pretty good when I renewed my chidrens passport and even emailed us to let us know once it was being sent back to us.
thanks for all your help everyone
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes you can travel back on the passport with less than 6 months as you have a PR card.
Im in a similar position, and I was just going to start a new thread....but I think its been answered here....so my passport expires on 25th Jan 2013, i am planning to visit the UK in Dec, returning to Canada on 31st Dec 2012...

I have a PR card, so I dont need to renew my passport for this trip do I?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Im in a similar position, and I was just going to start a new thread....but I think its been answered here....so my passport expires on 25th Jan 2013, i am planning to visit the UK in Dec, returning to Canada on 31st Dec 2012...

I have a PR card, so I dont need to renew my passport for this trip do I?
I don't think you need to renew but why not do so now? You have time to renew and any unused time from your old passport will be added on to your new passport.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you need to renew but why not do so now? You have time to renew and any unused time from your old passport will be added on to your new passport.
Yes I did think about doing that, but the whole process sounds quite involved, and ive heard there are some significant delays having to go through Washington, although hopefully no longer than two months. Was putting it off to the new year....maybe I should just do it
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We just renewed through Washington, we had the new passports and supporting documents back within 3 weeks of us sending it. Now would probably be a good time, before they get backlogged again

ETA - actually, we mailed it 3 weeks ago today, we've had the new passports since Monday and the old ones came back yesterday.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dashie
We just renewed through Washington, we had the new passports and supporting documents back within 3 weeks of us sending it. Now would probably be a good time, before they get backlogged again

ETA - actually, we mailed it 3 weeks ago today, we've had the new passports since Monday and the old ones came back yesterday.
Oh right...thats very quick! almsot quicker than applying for a passport within the UK! Ok you may well have talked me into renewing mine with that news!
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:01 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you have all the docs requested in order. Ours took less than 3 weeks from the time we sent it to DC and got them back.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Just make sure you have all the docs requested in order. Ours took less than 3 weeks from the time we sent it to DC and got them back.
i got my daughters counter signatory before i came over in June so i wouldn't struggle finding someone over here. Im going to apply prob just after Xmas if not before. Do you think they will still accept the signatory
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:55 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

i got my daughters counter signatory before i came over in June so i wouldn't struggle finding someone over here. Im going to apply prob just after Xmas if not before. Do you think they will still accept the signatory
I don't see why not....I'll say apply before xmas
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I think it has to have been within the last 6 months, so just keep an eye on the date I guess.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Apply now. If there is any time left on the old passport, they add it on to the new passport (up to a maximum of 9 months additional time). Since your daughter's passport expires in less than 9 months, you should apply now so you have the new passport in hand in time to extend her temp resident visa. You will get her old passport back separately from the new passport.
hi all

in regards to the above, when her new passport arrives do i have to fill out the forms online/postal, or can we just go to the border to extend her visa, seeing as we are only 10 minutes away?

thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 12:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

British citizens don't normally need visas for Canada. Do you mean work permits? They are not the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.