Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renewing a British Passport

Renewing a British Passport

Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light
Default Renewing a British Passport

Quick question for any duel citizens on here......

Just completed my on-line application form to renew my British passport.

In the document checklist section, it asks for any other uncancelled non-British passports relating to me. So do I need to send them my Canadian passport, or at least copies of it?

Has anyone else done this?

Also on page 3 ( the declaration form) there are 2 boxes asking for relationship of applicant to intended passport holder....can i leave them blank, as I am the applicant?

Many thanks

B
Old Feb 26th 2014, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a British Passport

See this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._Gp1_11.13.PDF

This appears at the bottom of page 2:
"② Uncancelled non-British passports: We strongly prefer to receive the passport. However in exceptional circumstances where you may need to retain the passport, we will accept a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (including visa pages).
We reserve the right to request the passport at a later stage as we examine your application. Please provide an explanation as to why you need to retain your passport"

Personally, I would not send in an original passport. I would simply provide a photocopy and explain that the original Canadian passport is not included because it is needed for travel purposes.

I have done this myself previously (except I just photocopied the photo page) but the wording above ("Uncancelled non-British passports: We strongly prefer to receive the passport...") seems to be new. I don't recall seeing it when I last renewed a UK passport for anyone in my family.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=MarylandNed;11149513]See this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._Gp1_11.13.PDF

This appears at the bottom of page 2:
"② Uncancelled non-British passports: We strongly prefer to receive the passport. However in exceptional circumstances where you may need to retain the passport, we will accept a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (including visa pages).
We reserve the right to request the passport at a later stage as we examine your application. Please provide an explanation as to why you need to retain your passport"

Personally, I would not send in an original passport. I would simply provide a photocopy and explain that the original Canadian passport is not included because it is needed for travel purposes.

I have done this myself previously (except I just photocopied the photo page) but the wording above ("Uncancelled non-British passports: We strongly prefer to receive the passport...") seems to be new. I don't recall seeing it when I last renewed a UK passport for anyone in my family.[/QUOTE

Thats the sheet I was referring to, so I guess that a colour photocopy will have to do, as I am not sending my shiny new Canadian passport off - I just wonder why they need this and if anyone else had actually sent off their Canadian passport too.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bombards
Thats the sheet I was referring to, so I guess that a colour photocopy will have to do, as I am not sending my shiny new Canadian passport off - I just wonder why they need this and if anyone else had actually sent off their Canadian passport too.
There was a recent thread in the USA forum on this same topic:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825438

See post #35: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=35

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 26th 2014 at 3:38 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

thanks, that was very useful.

Now I just have to find out if I can ignore the 2 boxes on the declaration form as I am the applicant and then its off to mail the whole thing!
Old Feb 27th 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that would be applicable to those applying in behalf of children/ people they have power of attorney for. Are there guidance notes? Always used to be
Old Jun 6th 2014, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

manjowithane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bombards,

Did you leave the relationship of application fields blank in the end?

Thanks