British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Removing Errors on a credit report. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/removing-errors-credit-report-927940/)

cheeky_monkey Sep 16th 2019 7:31 pm

Removing Errors on a credit report.

Quick back story..i have been in dispute with Koodo/Collection agency since i left Canada originally in April 2014..i closed the account and settled it when i left as i did with my utilities etc as you do... about a year later i started getting emails from a collection agency trying to collect money on the account..even though it was cleared an closed...now 5 years later the same collection agency is still chasing payment and hassling me on a weekly basis to which i never respond..also i note on my credit report not only is the collection on there..but it still has the original Koodo account as open and accruing missed payments every month..obviously this is dragging down my credit score hugely..my understanding is once Koodo had sold this 'debt' to a collection agency the account is closed and written off their end, therefore it shouldn't be an open account on my credit report right? so why does it keep appearing and why does the collection agency keep adding the same collection to my account like its a new one every six months or so?? anyone had a similar experience and how do i get it removed?

Novocastrian Sep 16th 2019 7:52 pm

Re: Removing Errors on a credit report.

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 12736218)
Quick back story..i have been in dispute with Koodo/Collection agency since i left Canada originally in April 2014..i closed the account and settled it when i left as i did with my utilities etc as you do... about a year later i started getting emails from a collection agency trying to collect money on the account..even though it was cleared an closed...now 5 years later the same collection agency is still chasing payment and hassling me on a weekly basis to which i never respond..also i note on my credit report not only is the collection on there..but it still has the original Koodo account as open and accruing missed payments every month..obviously this is dragging down my credit score hugely..my understanding is once Koodo had sold this 'debt' to a collection agency the account is closed and written off their end, therefore it shouldn't be an open account on my credit report right? so why does it keep appearing and why does the collection agency keep adding the same collection to my account like its a new one every six months or so?? anyone had a similar experience and how do i get it removed?

There's the problem.

cheeky_monkey Sep 16th 2019 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12736225)
There's the problem.

advice is never speak to a collection agency..my contract is with Koodo not with them..also never admit liability either..i dont owe Koodo anything.. and i certainly owe nothing to a collection agency either legally

mikelincs Sep 16th 2019 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 12736261)
advice is never speak to a collection agency..my contract is with Koodo not with them..also never admit liability either..i dont owe Koodo anything.. and i certainly owe nothing to a collection agency either legally

The collection agency has, almost certainly, bought the debt off the company, so you do now owe the collection agency.

CanadaJimmy Sep 16th 2019 10:33 pm

You should contact Koodo and get a letter stating that the account was settled, then forward this to the collection agency, then request a statement from the collection agency that the account is settled. You can then send this to the credit bureaus (equifax and trans union).