Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removals / Shipping company choices for Vancouver

Removals / Shipping company choices for Vancouver

Old Nov 3rd 2020, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Removals / Shipping company choices for Vancouver

Shipping from UK to Canada - our story and advice

I read through the wiki and the detailed post from dibden Thank you very much!

I am getting quotations from:
  • White and Co
  • Crown
  • Robinson
  • Pickford's
Are there any obvious candidates I've missed for move to Vancouver? will be also nice to hear from any positive/negative experiences from the above list

Many Thanks

Last edited by eversmannx; Nov 3rd 2020 at 6:27 pm. Reason: added some more details
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 8:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removals / Shipping company choices for Vancouver

Are you shipping the contents of a house / flat / other stuff - do you think it will be a complete container load - a shared container load - or just a few boxes? All those points will make a difference on suggestions of who to use!

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping-Canada

If you put in an advanced search using 'shipping' as the search term, 'Thread title' and 'Threads' as what to search and then 'Canada and child forums' you'll find a lot of threads with suggestions.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 3rd 2020 at 8:39 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you shipping the contents of a house / flat / other stuff - do you think it will be a complete container load - a shared container load - or just a few boxes? All those points will make a difference on suggestions of who to use!

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping-Canada

If you put in an advanced search using 'shipping' as the search term, 'Thread title' and 'Threads' as what to search and then 'Canada and child forums' you'll find a lot of threads with suggestions.
Sorry, I should've put a bit more specifics. it will be a shared container load - we don't see the point of moving any furniture, and also getting rid of most electricals.
I did thread through the wiki + detailed post + other posts, and picked those names I called so far. But I didn't find many Vancouver/BC specific posts - so would be good to know if i missed anything. Otherwise, i'll pick from one of the above quotes.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 9:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eversmannx
Sorry, I should've put a bit more specifics. it will be a shared container load - we don't see the point of moving any furniture, and also getting rid of most electricals.
I did thread through the wiki + detailed post + other posts, and picked those names I called so far. But I didn't find many Vancouver/BC specific posts - so would be good to know if i missed anything. Otherwise, i'll pick from one of the above quotes.
If you don't have any furniture or large electronics to ship, have you considered Air Freight? My son sent his belongings air freight on air transat, it worked out cheaper than a shared container - and the insurance was considerably cheaper. It means packing up the stuff yourself - taking it to the airport (cargo department) a couple of hours before the flight and then collecting it within 3 days at the other end - but worth taking a look at it if you don't have a ton of stuff. (My son's friend shipped over a huge toolbox and all his carpenters tools the same way, as it was the cheapest option). https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/Tra.../Baggage/Cargo

There's also tthe option of self packing using a company like this https://upakweship.uk.com/

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 3rd 2020 at 9:14 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

If you don't have any furniture or large electronics to ship, have you considered Air Freight? My son sent his belongings air freight on air transat, it worked out cheaper than a shared container - and the insurance was considerably cheaper. It means packing up the stuff yourself - taking it to the airport (cargo department) a couple of hours before the flight and then collecting it within 3 days at the other end - but worth taking a look at it if you don't have a ton of stuff. (My son's friend shipped over a huge toolbox and all his carpenters tools the same way, as it was the cheapest option). https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/Tra.../Baggage/Cargo

There's also tthe option of self packing using a company like this https://upakweship.uk.com/
Thanks! good to know air freight is cheaper than i thought for our case. However, we are flying from Heathrow, so taking it to Air Transit (I am guessing they are Gatwick only?) beforehand, and collecting from other end could be tricky as we have to be in quarantine for 14 days. Also, if we end up any reasonably valuable items, i don't mind paying a bit extra for them to pack and insure it. But I will call up both Air Transit and UpackWeShip to compare.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

a shared container load - or just a few boxes?
I have one box full of important books. while on this topic, can i check if you think it's worth shipping all my bank statements I've collected over the years? they are a large pile.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 9:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by eversmannx
I have one box full of important books. while on this topic, can i check if you think it's worth shipping all my bank statements I've collected over the years? they are a large pile.
I would just keep the last year (you may find them useful if you intend to buy a house). For the rest (unless you are going to need them for tax purposes for a business) then Scan them onto a USB or disk / cloud and then shred them,
If the books are important I would consider air freight - if you send them by ship ensure you place a couple of 'silica bags' in with them, to guard against damp... (most of my shipping costs were books, I totally get it!)
Old Nov 4th 2020, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

I would just keep the last year (you may find them useful if you intend to buy a house). For the rest (unless you are going to need them for tax purposes for a business) then Scan them onto a USB or disk / cloud and then shred them,
Thank you! I already took scans, and also have official pdf statements downloaded for last 7 years. I'll just hold on to the last 12 months of physical statements and shred the rest.

If the books are important I would consider air freight - if you send them by ship ensure you place a couple of 'silica bags' in with them, to guard against damp... (most of my shipping costs were books, I totally get it!)
Thanks for the tip on silica bags!