Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removal Guy Appointments

Removal Guy Appointments

Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Removal Guy Appointments

Hi
We have some removal company appointments for next Wednesday. We have received letters from them outlining what they will do.
They have also asked us for the number of boxes we will be taking.
I havent got a clue.
People who have already moved or had quoters in, what did you do when this came up?
We will really have to guess i think, then we will probably owe more at the time or be overcharged.
I am frantically making lists of things that need to be packed but goodness knows whats in the loft lol.

Tina
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:56 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removal Guy Appointments

Originally Posted by albertabound
Hi
We have some removal company appointments for next Wednesday. We have received letters from them outlining what they will do.
They have also asked us for the number of boxes we will be taking.
I havent got a clue.
People who have already moved or had quoters in, what did you do when this came up?
We will really have to guess i think, then we will probably owe more at the time or be overcharged.
I am frantically making lists of things that need to be packed but goodness knows whats in the loft lol.

Tina
Surely it's up to the removal company guys to estimate how much stuff you have to move? That's what they're coming to see you for.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Surely it's up to the removal company guys to estimate how much stuff you have to move? That's what they're coming to see you for.
Hi

yep thats what I thought but we have received a letter from one of them asking for a number and size of boxes. I think they mean clothes and non furniture items. I hope they can estimate the amount we have - obviously they have more experience than us.
Tina
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:13 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

yep thats what I thought but we have received a letter from one of them asking for a number and size of boxes. I think they mean clothes and non furniture items. I hope they can estimate the amount we have - obviously they have more experience than us.
Tina
Still seems a bit strange to me. If the movers are also doing the packing, it's up to them to judge how many boxes, and how big. When we moved in 2000, a bloke came in, looked around and took notes. Come packing day, an appropriate number of men and boxes turned up.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Both companies I got quotes from;

1st guy - didn't like him at all. He quickly walked around the house with a pad, didn't want to look in my garden shed as it was a little muddy (even though I gave him those plastic shoes covers to put on) he was literally hanging off the chair ready to leave no sooner as he arrived.

2nd guy - came with a computerised pad and walked through the house counting mirrors, sofas, tables and sat down to go through any other items and discuss procedure etc. Extremely professional. So we went with them and they were over £1000 less than the one above
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:51 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

we had five out.....one i'll dismiss straight away.......but none of them asked ME how many boxes we were taking......that's down to them to workk out.....all four were very proffessional, all wrote down, measured items, looked in cupboard, loft, cellar and garage and all came in at a very similar amount.......we're even having some things crated......i would advice NOT to use the ones that asked you how many boxes you are taking as if it comes to the day of packing and you are significantly over your amount (and you will be, as what you think will go into a box, needs to be wrapped as well, so there's more packaging materials used than you could imagine), they might want to 'sting' you for more money and a bigger container.......just a thought....
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:14 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have just booked 4 companies to come end of Jan to quote and none of them have asked me how many boxes we are taking, as you say, I wouldn't have a clue

Perhaps as others have suggested drop the company that has requested this info from you, this is why you are getting them round
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your answers.
The company is Robinsons. I am still surprised and have just re read the letter but they are asking me for an estimate of boxes.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:34 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your answers.
The company is Robinsons. I am still surprised and have just re read the letter but they are asking me for an estimate of boxes.

if you read my reply, you'll notice that i dismissed one of the five, we had out.....funnily enough, robinsons........
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
if you read my reply, you'll notice that i dismissed one of the five, we had out.....funnily enough, robinsons........
Thanks for the advise, its just so difficult because i have read good and bad for most of the companies I have asked to quote.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Heswalllass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advise, its just so difficult because i have read good and bad for most of the companies I have asked to quote.
Hi there,

We used Excess International Movers. If I can remember correctly they sold us an alotted space. The representative came with a computer and gave us a quote. We were really pleased with the service. I highly recommend them.

A piece of advice; document everything you are shipping for Canadian Customs. Everything that is placed in a box or crate write it down, it will make you life so much easier at custom times. Itemize with colour, shape, size etc. Keep extra copies as you will need them for when you land in Canada and when you items arrive after you.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heswalllass
Hi there,

We used Excess International Movers. If I can remember correctly they sold us an alotted space. The representative came with a computer and gave us a quote. We were really pleased with the service. I highly recommend them.

A piece of advice; document everything you are shipping for Canadian Customs. Everything that is placed in a box or crate write it down, it will make you life so much easier at custom times. Itemize with colour, shape, size etc. Keep extra copies as you will need them for when you land in Canada and when you items arrive after you.
Cheers for that. I'll give them a ring