Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removal companies

Removal companies

Old May 20th 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

chrishoward99 is on a distinguished road
Default Removal companies

We are just about ready to move to ontario and have been looking at removal firms. I think we are going to go with Britannia as they are fairly local. I was wondering if anybody had had any experiences with them ( good or bad), or any other companies that they would recomend.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Expat Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removal companies

We used Anglo Pacific. I can't remember if they were the cheapest, but their service was great at every stage. There was nothing broken when it arrived in Canada, which is always a good sign!
Old May 21st 2009, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

meland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chrishoward99
We are just about ready to move to ontario and have been looking at removal firms. I think we are going to go with Britannia as they are fairly local. I was wondering if anybody had had any experiences with them ( good or bad), or any other companies that they would recomend.
Hi Chris,

We had very similar quotes from Robinsons and PSS,and have decided on Robinsons after some negotiating (dont accept first quote)!
Old May 21st 2009, 10:06 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Andy
We used Anglo Pacific. I can't remember if they were the cheapest, but their service was great at every stage. There was nothing broken when it arrived in Canada, which is always a good sign!
We also use Anglo Pacific - very impressed with service at the UK end, can't comment on the Canada stage as stuff is mid atlantic right now
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

marieceleste is on a distinguished road

We used PSS. Way over priced for the service, items were thrown in haphazard into boxes, shipment was a month over due (we had moved our flight dates to be landed before the shipment and then it arrived a month later - not impressed). several items broken, and then when we claimed from the insurance they made it +++ difficult. I would not recommend PSS!
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:03 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we moved over with Brytor in Canada and had a great move with no problems. A different approach but we decided that we would get taken care of much better when we end up in their local City should anything have gone wrong, rather than having to deal with a company back in the UK, who might not care quite so much about 'after sales service'!.....and yes we did get a competitive quote compared to other UK companies.

Good luck
Old May 22nd 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

We completed today on our house in the UK and have used GB Liners. So far...the service has been excellent! They were fairly priced, very prompt on Wed morning gone. A team of two guys basically packed our belongings in 4hrs - carefully and methodically, handling our belongings with care. They stopped at 1pm for lunch and came back an hour later and packed the truck, again with care which was very comforting to see. Once they had left, we were left with pretty much an empty house. Would definitely recommend them (on THIS aspect anyway!!). We're hoping our stuff arrives safe and sound in Vancouver.

Michael & Shamira
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_connors76
Hi all,

A team of two guys basically packed our belongings in 4hrs -
Hi , can I ask how much of the packing had you done in advance- I ask because I can't see how 2 men could pack up my house in 4 days let alone 4 hours!! Had you emptied drawers, cupboards prior to them arriving??
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Hi , can I ask how much of the packing had you done in advance- I ask because I can't see how 2 men could pack up my house in 4 days let alone 4 hours!! Had you emptied drawers, cupboards prior to them arriving??
I had a 4 bedroomed house and it took 3 guys 3 days including the garage with the final things ie bed & sofa on the morning of 4th day when the container arrived (40ft). It took 2.5 hours to load the container
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
I had a 4 bedroomed house and it took 3 guys 3 days including the garage with the final things ie bed & sofa on the morning of 4th day when the container arrived (40ft). It took 2.5 hours to load the container
Now that sounds about right for me, I know from house moves in the past, how long it has taken us to pack everything ourselves. But did you just leave the house "as is" and let them do it all?
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:33 pm

Now that sounds about right for me, I know from house moves in the past, how long it has taken us to pack everything ourselves. But did you just leave the house "as is" and let them do it all?
They arrived on Monday morning walked round and then told us the order they would pack. They lefts the, sofa & TV in lounge until the final morning. Our bedroom was packed on Wednesday but the bed was left until Thursday (final day)

I just let them get on with it. I made them tea. I packed my own very personal stuff that I didnt want them to see, which was half a small box. They did everything else.

Everything was wrapped really well and then some things were crated after being wrapped. I have some beautiful wine glass that were very delicate and they took extra care of those, wrapped, boxed and crated. I even have a big bear on my bed that my hubby bought me, I love him to bits, they told me when they were packing him asked if I wanted to do it my self and even put air holes in the box for him ahhh.
Before the conatiner left we were told when it would sail (19th) when it would arrive (30th) I emailed them on 20th for confirmation that it had left and they told yes it had sailed the name of the vessel and the shipping line and the date it is due to arrive. They said as soon as it arrives they will let me know when it will clear's customs (possibley customs bonded) and on its way to Toronto.

I must say the 3 guys we had were wonderful, they were a pleasure to have round the house, friendly, very polite,and very proffessional at all times also very respectful. They made what is a very stressfull tme bearable.
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Love the bit about the bear!! Your company sounds excellent, I will look them up and add them to my list, I do like the idea of a Canadian company in case of problems.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of

We didn't take the entire contents of a full house, which made a difference. All we did was instruct them as to which items in each room were to be shipped. We did some basic clearing prior to GB Liners coming in but it was more admin kinda stuff (sorting what was actually being taken).
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by the_connors76
Hi all,

We completed today on our house in the UK and have used GB Liners. So far...the service has been excellent! They were fairly priced, very prompt on Wed morning gone. A team of two guys basically packed our belongings in 4hrs - carefully and methodically, handling our belongings with care. They stopped at 1pm for lunch and came back an hour later and packed the truck, again with care which was very comforting to see. Once they had left, we were left with pretty much an empty house. Would definitely recommend them (on THIS aspect anyway!!). We're hoping our stuff arrives safe and sound in Vancouver.

Michael & Shamira
We too used GB Liners. They were excellent. Once our container arrived in Canada, we discovered little notes, faces and pictures they had drawn on some of the boxes which were really entertaining!
Attached Thumbnails Removal companies-moving_day_016.jpg