Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removal Companies

Removal Companies

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Removal Companies

We're just in the process of getting some quotes, and have a number of companies coming round over the next few weeks.

For those of you that have been through the process, what sort of points are important for us to consider, who did you use, and in the negotiations on price, did you manage to get any freebies thrown in, such as free storage etc
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal Companies

We managed to negotiate the insurance down. They work it out as a percentage of total value , we knocked them down half a percent or so.

Having said that we went with pickfords........ DON'T!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

We are going with Anglo Pacific - we were warned not to use Pickfords.

For our 20ft container from Kent to Kelowna is £5780 - mind you that was in January and the price of freight may have risen. This price excludes insurance and storage at our destination.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tracie107
We are going with Anglo Pacific - we were warned not to use Pickfords.

For our 20ft container from Kent to Kelowna is £5780 - mind you that was in January and the price of freight may have risen. This price excludes insurance and storage at our destination.
Wow that sounds high. We're moving from Surrey to Halifax and were given indications ranging from £3500 to £4200 for a 20 ft container
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Southcote
Wow that sounds high. We're moving from Surrey to Halifax and were given indications ranging from £3500 to £4200 for a 20 ft container

Really - my fault I guess as I haven't had time to shop around and just went with the first one. I haven't signed up to anything just yet but was going to in the next few weeks. I better pull my finger out and take the time out to shop around.

Sorry, but can I ask which company you got your quote from?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
When we've moved in the past we've always tried to use a company based at our destination rather than our departure point, so that if there are problems they are easier to sort out.
Premiere Van lines are in Halifax, the team we had were excellent and would definitely recommend them, no idea of how much they would charge though as OH's company paid all the bills.
The numbers in Halifax are
Tel: 902-468-4313
Fax: 902-468-2954
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tracie107
Really - my fault I guess as I haven't had time to shop around and just went with the first one. I haven't signed up to anything just yet but was going to in the next few weeks. I better pull my finger out and take the time out to shop around.

Sorry, but can I ask which company you got your quote from?
The one for £3500 was when we discussed prices for a 20ft container at the Emmigrate show.It was with Excess, call Neil Bowie on 0208 324 2057. They haven't been to our house to give a detailed quote yet, just waiting for that to happen
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Removal Companies

Hi there, just came back from the Emigrate Show and can recommend Robinsons who were excellent when i moved out here... also remember to get marine insurance as no one can control mother nature if a container although unlikely might be lost during the voyage..
June
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Removal Companies

if you dont have a lot use oakbridge int. at havehill.
we sent 2 4 bye 4 bye 4 pallets for under 500gbp. to winnipeg.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

o dear should have been haverhill.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

emyrthomas is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone heard of or used John Masons International Removals....?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

I posted this as a main thread with no joy could anyone explain it here if Poss.

Hi,

Talking to a mixture of removal companies the Expo in Sandown there seemed to be a difference in opion as to what type of insurance is required to protect your goods on route to Canada.

Some said it is essential to have Marine Insurance and don't touch any of the companies that don't offer that cover. This is due to salvage costs etc if the boat goes down or the container drops over the side as the costs could run into £1000's.....

The others said that was rubbish and you only need Standard Liability cover as that would cover you for everything and the Marine insurance is only used by other companies because they have a higher amount of business freight and not household and as the companies offering standard liability have more household freight then that is what they use.............

Obviously you don't need to use their insurance and get your own but is it Marine or standard liability...

Any advice is greatly appreciated....or any experiences or comments.

Cheers.

UPDATE:

I spoke to BAR and they said the only difference is some companies opted to becom FSA regulated (marine ins) & allowed to sell you a policy, where the others did not (liability) & not allowed to sell you a policy your covered under their ins. Both SHOULD offer the same cover However they were a bit cagey when I asked about salvage costs etc if the unthinkable happened and your worldly goods slipped over the side and had to be recovered.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Insurance Comparisons.pdf (19.9 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Mar 5th 2008 at 9:58 am.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:05 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Also in process of getting quotes:
So far had out: Robinsons & GB Liners
waiting for quotes from them
Having out Anglo Pacific and Dorree Bonner next week.
Just put the house on the market too
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

OK, so I have pulled my finger out now booked appointments with Robinsons and Britannia next week.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC

I spoke to BAR and they said the only difference is some companies opted to becom FSA regulated (marine ins) & allowed to sell you a policy, where the others did not (liability) & not allowed to sell you a policy your covered under their ins. Both SHOULD offer the same cover However they were a bit cagey when I asked about salvage costs etc if the unthinkable happened and your worldly goods slipped over the side and had to be recovered.
Davie_Mac - what was the conclusion from your conversation with BAR. Did they recommend Marine or Standard, or is there really no major difference. There does seem to be a price difference, with Marine being more expensive, and the two companied that have come to see us have indicated that Standard Insurance only offers current value cover, whilst Marine Insurance is new for old (not sure how they apply new for old values on my antique clock !!)

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.