Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Remember when - part 2! One for the older members

Remember when - part 2! One for the older members

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Remember when - part 2! One for the older members

Again nothing to do with Canada, but it is sometimes good to look back to when living in Britain was actually fun.

A few more for the older ones of us.

I remember:

Eating spangles, arrow bars, candy cigarettes, chocolate cigarettes with real paper, lucky numbers, those pieces of wood we used to chew, gob stoppers, jublies, lucky bags.
Bread and dripping
Omo, Surf, Tide, 1001 carpet cleaner
Going to the pub with my parents and spending all the time outside playing football in the garden or car park, often with complete strangers
Walking to the pub with my dad to get some real beer in pop bottles on a Sunday evening and then back home to watch The Forsyte Saga on the old black and white telly.
Watching Robin Hood, No Hiding Place, Mystery and Imagination, William Hartnell as Dr Who. Watching John Wayne or Betty Davis on the Sunday afternoon matinee.
Listening to Al Read on the radio on Sunday morning.
Two way family favourites
Childrens favourites
Andy Stewart on New Years Eve TV
Snow on Christmas day and opening your sack
Listening to and watching Jimmy Clitheroe
Round the Horne
Do you remember the small take away booths attached to pubs.
Going out with your friends with half a crown and you thought you were rich.
Getting a new three piece suit with giant lapels for 19 guineas (look up guinea in the dictionary and if you can find it, it will probably say old obsolete English coinage).
Getting a new "racer" bike for under £19 19s 6d
Choppers, BMX
Bikes with mini wheels
Tape to tape recorders in a walnut cabinet
Gromophones
Calling the radio the wireless
Playing records on a record player that looked like a case.
Buying an LP for under £2.00. Kids now say "What is an LP?"
Listening to Mrs Dales Diary on the Light programme
Radio 2 on 1500 meters Long wave
Radio 1 starting on 247 Medium wave
Jimmy Young on Radio 1. "Whats the recipe today Jim"
Tuning into Radio Luxemburg and listening to Paul Burnett, Tony Prince and another chap whose name escapes me on 208 Medium Wave.
Radio Caroline
Getting your first tranny radio
Listening for trolley buses by listening to the pole
Sat in the bar at Warwick racecourse and watching England win the World Cup in 66.
When it was just BBC, before BBC 2 started
Remembering Kennedy being shot
Watching The Epilogue and then watching the TV screen change to a little dot.
Bumping your head and having your granny put butter on it, same with a burn!
Looking out for the rag and bone man
The baker coming down the street in his 3 wheeler van
The man selling ice cream from a three wheeler bike
Standing on a bridge and waiting for the steam train to pass under. What fun.
Looking at the speedometers in cars and seeing one with 120 or more on the clock. 160 for an E type Jag!!
What about the old cars: Anglia's, Humber's, A30's Ford Classics, Moggy Travellers, Hillman Imps and spotting the difference between Austin Minis and Morris Minis. The same with Morris Oxford's and Austin Cambridge's
Going to the pictures on a Saturday morning for sixpence.
Going to the pictures halfway through a film and watching the main film and then watching the B movie up to where you came in!
Standing for the Queen at the end
The girls with the ice cream trays.
Playing cowboys and Indians in the street
Out till dark with your mates playing football in the street with the lamp post as the goal, or coats down.
Baseball boots, Beatle jumpers, winkle pickers, parkas, round collared shirts, Oxford bags, Levi Staprest trousers, platform shoes, Doc Martins, electric green socks, velvet jackets
Watching Lord of the Flies or Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple in the School Hall at the end of term.
Summers were real summers with sun and winters had snow.
Sliding on ice patches to see who could go the furthest
Walking to town with your mates to buy a mouse from the pet market for a shilling.
Brut and Old Spice
Long hair and side burns.
Over to you for a few more.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:47 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: Remember when - part 2! One for the older members

Originally Posted by Gray C
Again nothing to do with Canada, but it is sometimes good to look back to when living in Britain was actually fun.

A few more for the older ones of us.

I remember:.........
Blimey, so do I, but I wouldn't have done without your help!!!

I guess some brain cells just last longer than others!!

Great post.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

Gray C you just took me back 30 years, and i remember the wood it was called liquorice root, god i used to love getting 3 for a penny, lasted me for days, did you mention space hoppers, pogo sticks, and that table tennis game played on tele with to oblongs hitting a little white square across the screen
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:01 am
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember the rag and bone man going round litherland, l'pool with his horse an cart...
god i must be old!!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:14 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
I remember the rag and bone man going round litherland, l'pool with his horse an cart...
god i must be old!!
Yeah, and if you gave him something decent, you might gerra balloon!!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

tobyjug is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Remember when - part 2! One for the older members

oh YES, YES, YES, i remember all that, and getting a bag of scraps ( bits of batter) for 1/2 a penny at the chipshops...
Mrs Tobyjug
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Just seen a clip on television showing "Watch with Mother" that was great to see. Bring on Andy Pandy, Ragtag and Bobtail, spotty dog and the rest of them.

Andy still gets in that box with Lubyloo and teddy

Originally Posted by tobyjug
oh YES, YES, YES, i remember all that, and getting a bag of scraps ( bits of batter) for 1/2 a penny at the chipshops...
Mrs Tobyjug
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:46 pm
Gone Walkabout

Originally Posted by tobyjug
Mrs Tobyjug
Geez, what the hell are we all doing here!!

We should be out tending our allotments, or picking up our pensions etc!!!