Reload this Page >

Relocation to Moncton, New Brunswick

Relocation to Moncton, New Brunswick

Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

mtnjt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation to Moncton, New Brunswick

Hi Everyone

We moved to Halifax from the UK over a year ago, and have been given a better job opportunity in Moncton, so wanted to find out more about the area.

we have 3 children aged 3-8years, and would be after a nice area to live with good schools and good recreational facilities, plus a local lake to swim in if poss!

Can anyone recommend areas to live for families please?

Also a good realtor to use?

Be great to hear from you..

Thanks!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation to Moncton, New Brunswick

Originally Posted by mtnjt
Hi Everyone

We moved to Halifax from the UK over a year ago, and have been given a better job opportunity in Moncton, so wanted to find out more about the area.

we have 3 children aged 3-8years, and would be after a nice area to live with good schools and good recreational facilities, plus a local lake to swim in if poss!

Thanks!!
Riverview, and I have a house for sale.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Phil Albert of EXIT.

Ace Realtor.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

hey guys

Thanks for the info - checked out Phil's website looks good!

Regarding Riverview - can you tell us a bit more about the area? What makes it a great place to live?

Thanks again

Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:08 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

hey guys

Thanks for the info - checked out Phil's website looks good!

Regarding Riverview - can you tell us a bit more about the area? What makes it a great place to live?

Thanks again

Schools, shops, access to countryside, nice housing, friendly, quiet and away from Moncton ( 5 mins over the bridge ).
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Schools, shops, access to countryside, nice housing, friendly, quiet and away from Moncton ( 5 mins over the bridge ).
Not that there's anything wrong with Moncton
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

garvard will become famous soon enough

Riverview, and I have a house for sale.
What kind of house is this? Please more details.
Thank you.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

You moving??????????????
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thanks!!
Sorry Bristol but I have to agree with Paul that while there is nothing wrong with Moncton and there are some very nice streets and neighbourhoods, Riverview has the edge.

It just feels really nice over this way and its prettier and Moncton is just over the causeway or bridge.

In fact where we are literaly 10 mins from Superstore we have 30 acres and feel like we are in the country.

Best of all worlds

Penny
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by pennyhp
You moving??????????????
Yes but not far.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:48 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Sorry Bristol but I have to agree with Paul that while there is nothing wrong with Moncton and there are some very nice streets and neighbourhoods, Riverview has the edge.

It just feels really nice over this way and its prettier...
Remembering, of course, that my opinion is swayed by the fact that none of the family can drive.

Having so much within easy reach of me and my bike, 6 buses an hour in both directions from a bus stop a few minutes away, a cheap taxi back for the bigger shopping trips, a five minute walk to the hospital, our street cleared of snow quickly etc etc.

I know by BE standards ours is an unusual family but these are huge advantages for us.

Sitting on our deck I feel like we're in the country too. We don't hear traffic at all.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by garvard
What kind of house is this? Please more details.
Thank you.
I don't post details of addresses etc on forums. If interested PM me.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the info guys!

Which would be the preferred Elementary schools in Riverview or Moncton? Are there any preschools/daycares?

Which are the nicer neighbourhoods in Moncton please?

We hope to come for a reccy in the next couple of weeks - looks like the job could be a go!

Anyone else have kids a similar age? Mine are between 3-8yrs.

Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:27 am
Oscar nominated

North of Mountain Rd. from Jones St and Westwards to Cedar is fine. Being north of Connaught takes you away from traffic on Mountain Rd, but it's rarely that busy anyway.

Katherine, between Noel and Kendra is scruffy but it's mainly rented anyway. However there are non-rental homes close by.

You can see these streets on Mapquest. Just do the search on Connaught, Moncton, NB

But there's plenty of other nice areas. Our realtor warned us off Enterprise St down by Jones Lake, but it seems fine to me. Maybe there's a bad family or something there.

Some think Victoria Park has problems with prostitutes. This is maybe one of those things that is relative. For the lack of crime here, maybe local people react more strongly to what many of us would think normal based on our UK experiences. Personally I like the area. It's a lovely little park and the surrounding housing looks really nice. I have a duplex there and the area always seemed good to me. Not a single tenant has ever commented unfavourably and most have specifically mentioned it's a good area, with several having lived there previously.

Moncton is so small that it doesn't really have named districts. It's more loose terms like Elmwood Drive or West End.

As for schools, I don't know if it was linked to the time of our move (June) but it was a case of the school district telling us which school ours would be going to. Having said that, ours needed to continue at French schools (as they are from Quebec and that's where we moved from) so it may just have been the way the French school board operated things.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 22nd 2008 at 4:32 am.