Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Relocating Edm from Mb this week need help

Relocating Edm from Mb this week need help

Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road
Default Relocating Edm from Mb this week need help

Need info pls, driving out in van from Mb, will require imm cheap clean accom in Edm in order to find long term digs. Need persons to assist with info re places to stay (if they can); or who have been through accom seeking. Two adults coming seeking work. Would like to chat this evening via email with person who has knowledge and can give heads up on Edm area.,places to avoid and so on....thanks very,very much in advance. Oh, say, haven't checked but if you know of a recent thread on the subject will look there.. ex Coventrypat. [email protected]
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:39 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating Edm from Mb this week need help

Originally Posted by Edward de Par
Need info pls, driving out in van from Mb, will require imm cheap clean accom in Edm in order to find long term digs. Need persons to assist with info re places to stay (if they can); or who have been through accom seeking. Two adults coming seeking work. Would like to chat this evening via email with person who has knowledge and can give heads up on Edm area.,places to avoid and so on....thanks very,very much in advance. Oh, say, haven't checked but if you know of a recent thread on the subject will look there.. ex Coventrypat. [email protected]

Not picked a good time to drive, the Highways are closed in most parts.

http://tgs.gov.mb.ca/roadinfo/?varLanguage=English
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grah
Not picked a good time to drive, the Highways are closed in most parts.

http://tgs.gov.mb.ca/roadinfo/?varLanguage=English
Yeh..I see that, were in a shutdown here ...will delay till it clears.

Still need some pointers though for when we do get there...got any ideas?..have you been there?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:56 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Went there last thanks giving for a soccer tournament and stayed at the holiday inn express up by the mall but apart from that no help. sorry.
Did notice that the shops\fast food joins all seemed to be hiring then.

Have you searched this forum for Edmonton to try and track someone down who lives there?

good luck
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grah
Went there last thanks giving for a soccer tournament and stayed at the holiday inn express up by the mall but apart from that no help. sorry.
Did notice that the shops\fast food joins all seemed to be hiring then.

Have you searched this forum for Edmonton to try and track someone down who lives there?

good luck
Thanks Grah!

Well we're up to our armpits here in snow this morning..car and van buried..drifts 4ft high on the roads in our village..waiting for the grader to plough the streets..

I guess we will have to get out there and play it by ear as regards accomm. I am looking on the "emigrating to Alberta" siteto see what I can find out. There doesn't seem to be any problem finding good paying work.

That's the only problem here,.. is you need to have 3 or 4 jobs to make a decent wage and be working from 5am to 10pm at night.

Thanks for the info and I will keep looking.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:28 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there
Try the website www.discoveredmonton.com This is a really useful site for info on just about anything linked to Edmonton.
Alberta is booming at the mo, with so much revenue coming in to the province from the oilsands projects. My hubbys company can't keep up with the amount of work coming in.
As for good areas to relocate too, I would say avoid around the north where the yellowhead highway is as it aint pretty up there......too industrial. Apart from St Albert which is a nice bedroom community
Sherwood Park is wonderful....we are there. Great, thriving, desireable family community. Beaumont is nice too, Leduc is pleasant but close to airport and industry. Closer to the city I would say the SouthWest is probably the nicer side, areas like Terwillegar
Not so much snow here either compared to what you are describing. We only have a thin covering at the mo and flurries coming down. We are even supposed to warm up to about +12 here for the weekend. Not in winters icy grip yet.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R2D2
Hi there
Try the website www.discoveredmonton.com This is a really useful site for info on just about anything linked to Edmonton.
Alberta is booming at the mo, with so much revenue coming in to the province from the oilsands projects. My hubbys company can't keep up with the amount of work coming in.
As for good areas to relocate too, I would say avoid around the north where the yellowhead highway is as it aint pretty up there......too industrial. Apart from St Albert which is a nice bedroom community
Sherwood Park is wonderful....we are there. Great, thriving, desireable family community. Beaumont is nice too, Leduc is pleasant but close to airport and industry. Closer to the city I would say the SouthWest is probably the nicer side, areas like Terwillegar
Not so much snow here either compared to what you are describing. We only have a thin covering at the mo and flurries coming down. We are even supposed to warm up to about +12 here for the weekend. Not in winters icy grip yet.

Blimey,Thanks! This is just the sort of info I was looking for..I'll def check out the site.