Reload this Page >

Regina? Sasketchewan?

Regina? Sasketchewan?

Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

paulaki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Regina? Sasketchewan?

Hello everyone.

My partner and I have recently made the decision to move to Canada, question is where in Canada?

We are aware that Canada can suffer some pretty cold winters, and obviously we are keen to avoid the worst of it. So through internet research we have decided that Sasketchewan is probably one of the mildest regions to meet our criteria, and are quite taken with Regina.

However, as I will be seeking employment as a truck driver, does anyone know if there are many/any trucking companies/agencies within reasonable commuting distances of this town/area?

I will be very interested to talk with anyone, especially truck drivers (anywhere in Canada) that has made the relocation and can offer me some sound advice specifically on licencing matters.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:40 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regina? Sasketchewan?

Originally Posted by paulaki
Hello everyone.

My partner and I have recently made the decision to move to Canada, question is where in Canada?

We are aware that Canada can suffer some pretty cold winters, and obviously we are keen to avoid the worst of it. So through internet research we have decided that Sasketchewan is probably one of the mildest regions to meet our criteria, and are quite taken with Regina.

However, as I will be seeking employment as a truck driver, does anyone know if there are many/any trucking companies/agencies within reasonable commuting distances of this town/area?

I will be very interested to talk with anyone, especially truck drivers (anywhere in Canada) that has made the relocation and can offer me some sound advice specifically on licencing matters.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Paulaki, firstly welcome to BE. Secondly wont be long till LornaD arrives, she lives in Regina and her OH is a trucker!!!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulaki
We are aware that Canada can suffer some pretty cold winters, and obviously we are keen to avoid the worst of it. So through internet research we have decided that Sasketchewan is probably one of the mildest regions to meet our criteria
You are joking, right I can think of many words that accurately describe winters in Saskatchewan, "mild" is not one of them

Back to the drawing board me thinks
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

Hi Paulaki and welcome to BE, I don't often post here but I had to after reading your post and I have to agree with Almost Canadian. Saskatchewan does not and has not in the two winters I've been here have mild winters!Believe me I live two hours north of Regina.

In fact last winter we were in the -47's with a wind chill of -54. If you are looking for a more mild climate then BC is one (others may come along and suggest other places).

Good luck with your decision
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:13 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

To add to the information that already has been provided, I suggest you read:
Vicky and Steve's website called Trucking in Canada (they're located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan)

Wiki article called Trucking Driving in Canada (but it doesn't tell you about the weather)

Trucking forum here at British Expats
As the davis family said, coastal British Columbia has the mildest climate in Canada. Its climate is similar to that of the UK, but most of it gets more rain than the UK.

But whoever is the truck driver in the family probably will be driving all over North America, and is likely to experience all kinds of weather.
x
Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Welcome to BE.

Sounds like some decent advice given above. When we first thought about moving to Canada, Vancouver, BC was uppermost in our mind. It is a beautiful city but upon visiting, we decided that a change from the quite "UK like" climate there would be good. We ended up in Southern Alberta (Okotoks, a town just south of Calgary) and we certainly can't claim that winters are mild...

http://janandeam.blogspot.com/2008/0...om-arctic.html

...but versus expectation, they were a smidge more manageable than we thought. Temperatures down to -10 are not at all unbearable in the dry atmosphere here, as long as you are wearing a few layers. You also get more sun and clear blue skies than you do in a UK winter, so that cheers things up a bit. Clearing snow from the drive is a drag but we would guesstimate that, last winter, we had to do that maybe 25 to 30 times across 5 months (so, by no means is it every day) and on a good number of those occasions, it was easier work than it perhaps looks in the above photos (ie: there was just a dusting of snow that could be cleared in 5 - 10 minutes).

So what's the point of this diatribe!...we're with the other posters...
a) from what we read, Saskatchewan is probably not a fab location for a mild winter...
b) east of the Rockies, Canadian winters can be pretty unpleasant at times...but
c) they are perhaps more manageable than you might imagine.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Getting There
a) from what we read, Saskatchewan is probably not a fab location for a mild winter...
Depends on what you mean; last winter the wind-chill got down below -50C on a couple of occasions, but as winters go it was far less annoying than the last winter I spent in the UK. So long as you dress for it and don't fall asleep on the street while staggering home drunk from the bar (a few people seem to freeze to death each winter doing that) there's no big problem with the temperatures here, though shovelling snow can become annoying after a while.

I think that was taken around -40 last winter; my girlfriend thinks I'm a wuss for not wanting to get frostbite .

Last edited by MarkG; Aug 30th 2008 at 8:45 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Way better than our pic. Wuss?...yeah, right, get her out there to clear it the next time it's that temp! We'll see who's the wuss then!

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

debbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to alldebbieeasby is a name known to all

Hi There ,

My family and i are also in this situation at the moment . We are off to Canada for a Recci in October and like the look of Saskatoon and Calgary so will just have to see how it FEELS when we are there if that makes sense !

Good luck hope you get some answers , But im sure no one can be sure until you are actually there.

Debbie