Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

refunds from supermarkets in canuck land ?

refunds from supermarkets in canuck land ?

Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

jezza99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default refunds from supermarkets in canuck land ?

hello people, the other day my wife purchased some perfume from real canadian superstore shelf price $30 but when she got home and checked receipt & saw $49 charged for this product,she phoned them up and they said come back with receipt to get $19 refund,which of course she did & she was happy with that. however if that was me i would have demanded a full refund (well you have the cost of going back to the store & your time wasted for their mistake THEY MADE to collect your $19) so was just wondering if there was any supermarkets (in gta area) that offered a full refund plus the product for free as well ,similar to what tesco have in place in u.k. (i used to enjoy it to see this happen at the tesco store round the corner from me in mcr. many the product i got for free o happy memories )
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:50 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: refunds from supermarkets in canuck land ?

depends on how much a stink you want to create. Many customers no are into the stinking demanding to see store manager in the store complain to get the "shut up" factor.

But suppose it is down to personality and the chav nature, to want something for nothing.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:28 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah

But suppose it is down to personality and the chav nature, to want something for nothing.
Nicely put, I thought.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:35 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezza99
hello people, the other day my wife purchased some perfume from real canadian superstore shelf price $30 but when she got home and checked receipt & saw $49 charged for this product,she phoned them up and they said come back with receipt to get $19 refund,which of course she did & she was happy with that. however if that was me i would have demanded a full refund (well you have the cost of going back to the store & your time wasted for their mistake THEY MADE to collect your $19) so was just wondering if there was any supermarkets (in gta area) that offered a full refund plus the product for free as well ,similar to what tesco have in place in u.k. (i used to enjoy it to see this happen at the tesco store round the corner from me in mcr. many the product i got for free o happy memories )
There is no consumer law here that says that stores have to sell an item to you for the price it is marked at, even if in error. So no, you will not get anything free. Safeway used to refund and replace up to 2003 and then also stopped offering this service. Try returning rotten food to Superstore....lol
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I had an interesting experience in Montreal recently. I was in Best Buy and bought a cheap web cam priced at $14.95. At the checkout it came up as $22.95 including tax so I queried the price which the cashier looked into. She agreed that the price should have been $14.95 and because it came up on the till as higher than that I was given an extra $10 of off the $14.95 price. I expressed pleasant surprise and she pointed to a sign that said it was Quebec law that required the retailer to knock off $10 in the event of a price being advertised but not then charged at the checkout.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:21 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepnek
I had an interesting experience in Montreal recently. I was in Best Buy and bought a cheap web cam priced at $14.95. At the checkout it came up as $22.95 including tax so I queried the price which the cashier looked into. She agreed that the price should have been $14.95 and because it came up on the till as higher than that I was given an extra $10 of off the $14.95 price. I expressed pleasant surprise and she pointed to a sign that said it was Quebec law that required the retailer to knock off $10 in the event of a price being advertised but not then charged at the checkout.
This may be law in Quebec I don't know.

But if you read the information in the link provided you'll find there is a voluntary program across the country.

Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code

Last edited by Hangman; Nov 21st 2006 at 3:07 am.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Nicely put, I thought.
Ditto.

I doubt there is any place that has a policy of giving away a product. Quit whining and next time check the receipt before leaving the store, if you are that worked up about having to go back.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:54 am
Just Joined

jezza99 is an unknown quantity at this point

isnt it funny how people come on here and make remarks about people they dont even know, it seems you cant even post a simple question now without you integrity being braught into question by these small minded assuming beings, it appears that some people reply to a post here not because they can be of help or answer your question but rather to follow up on someone elses throwaway unhelpful remarks . to these people i would say if you cant be of help then say nothing at all. as you do not offer anything to this web site
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:03 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

sorry was it hel you wanted or just a ticket to a free ride.....
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grah
sorry was it hel you wanted or just a ticket to a free ride.....

That's seriously rude mate. The guy's wife was totally inconvienced by a mistake from the shop. Why shouldn't she get the item for free, her time is probably worth more than $49 p/h. You don't seem to have any harsh words for the store that tried to rip him off, why don't you step down off that high horse
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Chill! Mistakes happen. The store refunded the difference. A token goodwill amount would have been reasonable but to refund the whole thing is over the top. I see no evidence of the OP being ripped off.

SAW 04

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
That's seriously rude mate. The guy's wife was totally inconvienced by a mistake from the shop. Why shouldn't she get the item for free, her time is probably worth more than $49 p/h. You don't seem to have any harsh words for the store that tried to rip him off, why don't you step down off that high horse
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

Originally Posted by dingbat
There is no consumer law here that says that stores have to sell an item to you for the price it is marked at, even if in error. So no, you will not get anything free. Safeway used to refund and replace up to 2003 and then also stopped offering this service. Try returning rotten food to Superstore....lol
Its actually the same in the UK. If they wrongly price mark something, they can refuse to sell it to you and insist that if you want it, you pay full price. I used to have to explain that to people all the time in Trading Standards. It's basic consumer law...offer and acceptance.

1. You see perfume and offer to pay shop for it. (offer)
2. They accept your offer of whatever. (acceptance)
3. You give them the money (your consideration)
4. You get your perfume (their consideration)

Contract concluded.

If they deliberately misprice items you could get them under the misleading advertisements regs but basically the law is in place to protect shops from things like mistakes with decimal points and pricing a £100 item up as £1.00 or vice versa!

Any refund you get, or offer to sell at the price on the label (like in Tesco) is purely goodwill, not obligatory.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:46 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
......I used to have to explain that to people all the time in Trading Standards.
That reminds me ..... for a long while back in the UK we used to get phone calls to Trading Standards. Long angry messages were left on our answering machine, and if we did happen to answer, the belligerant folks on the other end of the line always needed some convincing that they had the wrong number!

I looked it up after a while, and found that Trading Standards in Brighton had the same number as us, but obviously a different code. At least after that I was able to redirect people's ire!

Eventually the calls stopped. Odd.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna
That reminds me ..... for a long while back in the UK we used to get phone calls to Trading Standards. Long angry messages were left on our answering machine, and if we did happen to answer, the belligerant folks on the other end of the line always needed some convincing that they had the wrong number!

I looked it up after a while, and found that Trading Standards in Brighton had the same number as us, but obviously a different code. At least after that I was able to redirect people's ire!

Eventually the calls stopped. Odd.
Think yourself lucky - I used to be the poor bugger at the end of the line dealing with them!!!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:54 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
Think yourself lucky - I used to be the poor bugger at the end of the line dealing with them!!!
LOL well so was I for some time..... only I wasn't being paid for it!

Problem was mostly that they were so full of their prepared rant that they never stopped to listen to what the person at the other end was trying to say! I could have had some fun with that, had I been meaner .... and smarter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.